Thread Rating:

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 228
October 17th, 2012 at 11:35:09 AM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

No so much talking as fibbing. Romney indicated that when he was elected Governor, he noticed the he didn't have any broads working for him. So he says that he initiated a search by reaching out the ladies' groups and they gave him binders full of broads to pick from. He hired a total of Zero for cabinet level positions.

Notice that this is how a liberal refers to women--"binders full of broads."
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
October 17th, 2012 at 11:38:13 AM permalink
I would rather hear a liberal jokingly refer to women as broads
than a conservative seriously consider himself empowered
to decide what they do with their bodies and lives.
I'm guessing most women would agree....
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
rubixxcube
rubixxcube
  • Threads: 0
October 17th, 2012 at 11:38:52 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

What is wrong with this statement? Seriously?

At least Romney thinks women care about more than free birth control pills and abortions. If you listened to Obama you would think that is all a woman's life revolved around.

Here's my take on this, people have different perspectives but here is how it came across to me.

It's just not a good way to refer to any group of people, insert any group of people into the statement and it sounds bad. It objectifies women and is equating them to a commodity or cattle, much in the same way you bring home a book of carpet samples.

The question was asked "How do you equalize pay between men and women in the workforce since women in general make less than men in the same positions?", neither candidate gave a great answer, but in addition to the above quote, Romney went on to say that basically women in the workplace need to be treated differently, let them work different hours then men so they can get home to tend to the children, make dinner and clean up etc...

So he was asked, how do we treat women in the workplace equally, and his answer is, well first we need to go to a special binder containing only the qualified women that meet some standard and then once we do hire them we need to be flexible with their special needs to tend to children, cook and clean.

So to treat women equally we need to treat them different cause they are women. It's a terrible answer.

Women are not the only groups that need to watch children, take care of a home, cook or be qualified in order to get a job. It's not an easy question to answer and I don't know the right answer, but I know his answer was not the right one that is going to connect with women.

Ask a woman what she thinks of that statement/his response to his question. My mother called it downright insulting.

Edited to add, I doubt any woman listened to his answer to this question and thought, "Oh yeah, Romney gets me as a woman and what needs to be done"
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
October 17th, 2012 at 11:46:57 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Quote: WongBo

What is wrong with this statement? Seriously?

At least Romney thinks women care about more than free birth control pills and abortions. If you listened to Obama you would think that is all a woman's life revolved around.

It's a very positive discrimination statement from Romney... surely the conservatives don't approve of such positive discrimination? :)

EDIT : on further thoughts, the answer was this horrible mismash of trying to appeal to the socially liberal, the conservatives and his own views, and coming across as an horribly awkward moment. There in lies the rub... it's awkward but ultimately one thing among many, but it's the thing that got picked up into the consciousness (at least this morning according to my various social media feeds). Romney needs as few of these as possible, and as many Obama items. No-one has said much about what Barrack said.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 228
October 17th, 2012 at 11:49:48 AM permalink

I would rather hear a liberal jokingly refer to women as broads
than a conservative seriously consider himself empowered
to decide what they do with their bodies and lives.
I'm guessing most women would agree....

When are conservatives doing that?

Or are you confused with Michelle Obama telling them what they and their kids are supposed to eat? Perhaps Obama telling them what medical insurance they must buy?

But my guess is you think that all women are pro-abortion and prefer a POTUS who is in favor of letting their delivered child be allowed to die on an OR table after a failed abortion.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
WongBo
WongBo
October 17th, 2012 at 11:54:39 AM permalink
As usual you go to the absolute extreme example to try to make your point.
FAIL

Please try to restrain yourself from telling people what they think.
Scotty71
Scotty71
  • Threads: 19
October 17th, 2012 at 12:20:12 PM permalink

As usual you go to the absolute extreme example to try to make your point.
FAIL

Please try to restrain yourself from telling people what they think.

I don't think any party will ever overturn R v Wade period. In fairness to AZduff though.... govt has no business providing $$ directly to organizations that perform abortions...thats not governments job. Let NOW or NARAL raise the money for that. You actually have a government that is paying poor mothers for more babies. If that gets any more expensive can we force them to get abortions?
I was raised by an original NOW member and have been soaked in feminism my whole life but lets call a spade a spade. On a one night fling lets say a woman gets pregnant. She can get an abortion w/out the fathers consent... I get that I guess. If she wants to have the baby lets say and he doesn't; he can't force her to terminate the pregnancy or indemnify of any future cost... nor can her force her to have it and deliver full custody to him in lieu of termination.....She had her chance right ladies? This is an extreme point but it highlights a fundamental problem in our country. Child support for unwed parents ties up tens of thousands of hours of court time, lands "deadbeat parents in jail, and uses kids as currency for economic leverage. With thousands of good families looking to adopt this is the best long term strategy for women and their reproductive rights?
when man determined to destroy himself he picked the was of shall and finding only why smashed it into because." E.E. Cummings
WongBo
WongBo
October 17th, 2012 at 12:44:57 PM permalink
If men could get pregnant you would be able to buy abortifacients pills in every restroom vending machine in the country.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
October 17th, 2012 at 12:47:03 PM permalink
President Obama hires more women for high-level positions = He supports women!!

Governor Romney hires more women for high-level positions (and uses binders to hold their resumes) = He hates women!!

Funny stuff.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
October 17th, 2012 at 12:55:11 PM permalink
As I said earlier, the "Who Won?" results are all over the place...

Who won the debate?

Mitt Romney
52%

Barack Obama
48%

47809 people have taken this poll.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/post/presidential-debate-libya-questioner-says-obama-didnt-answer/2012/10/17/7109898e-1867-11e2-a55c-39408fbe6a4b_blog.html

I've seen it falling both ways depending on where I look.

Draw. President Obama loses as the facts are reviewed but Romney will lose some points, too.

• Jump to: