buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
July 9th, 2012 at 11:53:04 AM permalink
Sundays are easy. This past Sunday, I drove my wife, daughter and grand-daughter to church. Since space is limited in my 2001 Grand Prix, I made a second trip to another daughter's house to take 4 grand-daughters to the same church. Afterward me, wife and 5 grand-daughter rode home as i was babysitting 5 grand=daughters. Wife returned to church to help daughter prepare food to feed homeless in the park.

As a side note, wife tithes 10%, I don't tithe since ex-preacher got caught with hands in the cookie jar. Over ten grand, 5 of which went for a vacation in Hawaii. He had said in a sermon that a parishioner was sending him and his wife there. Investigation led to the fact that this was his second offense, and once again, he was not prosecuted. I stopped tithing after that. Still clean Church, rectory and kid's center. But tithing is limited to buying snacks for homeless. Cello wrapped for later that night, I hope. Never been homeless, but having known many who were. You can be cold, and wrap in cardboard or newspaper and will eventually fall asleep. But hungry never goes away, go to sleep hungry, wake up starving.

So Sunday was an easy day. Now Thursday was a different story. Combination pool hall/OTB was closed for the 4th ????

So was the food distribution center, I found out Thursday morning. That is when Susan, a nice lady, called and asked if I could help her out. Church has a food bank that is open 1st Thursday of the month from 11am -1 pm. Since center was closed the day before, she could not pick up as usual on Wednesday, needed help unloading truck and fixing up boxes. I unloaded truck, opened boxes, and Susan and Josie sorted out meats, vegggies, snacks , etc and had 510 boxes filled by 11 O'clock.

At 5 to 11 a van, less than 2 years old with tempy tags backed up to the door and 3 Porkers waddled up to the door. Looked like boyfriend and girlfriend and mother-in-law. Any of the 3 met the clinic requirements for morbidly obese. Susan took name off drivers license for the couple in their 20's, each with a different last name and a library card from Moma. I have worked at food banks in the past and usually we need some proof of income. SSI. medicaid card or something. And checked for common addresses.

But Susan is a nice Christian lady and just writes down the names. I only found this out later, but when Fat boy picked up the second box, Susan say they were 3 separate families. BET MW !!!! Then he came back in all smiles. Usually,especially a working man ion hard times, has trouble looking you in the eye when he collects the food. He was practically salivating when he saw the big bag of marshmallows atop the 3rd box. That when the Devil said I should kick him in the ass. Instead I just drove to my Third daughter's house to see my grand-daughters and give them some Disney clothes I had bought at Target on clearance.

At 1 O'clock I was back at the Church locking up. Since that time I have had regrets. I regret that when he bent over that I did not plant my size 10 shoe in his ass and drive his head into the wall. Then waited to see if FAT BOY wanted to try this 72 year old man
on for size. Like the title of this thread.

Some days it's hard to be a Christian.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
July 9th, 2012 at 1:32:35 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

oh, yeah, worst thing in the world to happen to someone wanting to help the poor is to find out how manipulative and actually un-needy *some* of them are. These types can take food out of the mouth of someone who really needs it.

On the other hand, we can be unrealistic too. In particular I have to smile when I hear someone go on about how someone they wanted to help smoked cigarettes and drank beer! In order to receive our help, we want them to turn into model human beings first. To the degree of Abstemious Saint in fact.

But in this case I would have been sharing your Ire, sir.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
July 9th, 2012 at 1:36:18 PM permalink
I am not proud to say i have associated with a lot of low lifes over the years. Con men, tin men, pool hustlers, repo men , etc. But none of them would take food out of some families mouths. Which is what fat boy did..
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
July 9th, 2012 at 1:51:45 PM permalink
buzz, whether Christian like you, or athiest like me, guys that wish to do good will always happen upon experiences that tests that will. I'll save you a schpiel and just ask this: How many people did Fat Boy's greed hurt? 2? 5? Maybe 20, if he took a whole damn bunch? Now I'd ask, how many people would be hurt if you let his greed affect YOU? If you let that anger, that frustration, affect you to the point that you help one less person a week, how many people would be affected by the end of your stay here on Earth?

We can't control people, but we can let people control us. You can't change him, but he can change you. Don't ever let the faults of man change who you are. =)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
heather
heather
  • Threads: 8
July 9th, 2012 at 2:32:06 PM permalink

Since that time I have had regrets. I regret that when he bent over that I did not plant my size 10 shoe in his ass and drive his head into the wall. Then waited to see if FAT BOY wanted to try this 72 year old man
on for size. Like the title of this thread.

I'd have voted to acquit you. Hell, I'd have recommended you for a medal.

But wouldn't it have been interesting to see whether he would have turned the other cheek?
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
July 9th, 2012 at 2:37:45 PM permalink
Some food banks allot per person. Like 1 loaf of bread per visit. You can't just carry out whatever you want.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
July 9th, 2012 at 3:20:04 PM permalink
" We can't control people, but we can let people control us. You can't change him, but he can change you. Don't ever let the faults of man change who you are. =) "

Cant argue with you " Always telling Josie " the only power people have over you is the power you give to them" >

But i still think I should have kicked his far ass just on general principals.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
July 9th, 2012 at 3:41:11 PM permalink
You can't discriminate against fat people. Why didn't you
help them load the stuff? They probably ate all of by the
time they got home, waiting at the drive thru at Taco Bell.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
4andaKicker
4andaKicker
  • Threads: 7
July 9th, 2012 at 7:09:49 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

You can't discriminate against fat people. Why didn't you
help them load the stuff? They probably ate all of by the
time they got home, waiting at the drive thru at Taco Bell.

ROFL!!! I'm in favor of a proportional height/weight scale and a mandatory weigh in before you get any free food in this country. It's gonna be one hell of a rude awakening for the younger generations of America if they ever have to face anything like REAL hardship.
scire
scire
  • Threads: 9
July 13th, 2012 at 1:15:26 PM permalink
BUZZ I know how you felt here. Story:

I worked 36 years on the streets and found these types even amoungst those who are well employed. This one women in my van on a particular day asked me if I could drive her to the Library during a break and I obliged her as we were not far from there. I did get irritated as she was in there for quite a while. (as a side note she was not the energenic type to say the least she would happily let me do all the work and go along for the ride were I foolish enough to let her).

When she got back into the van she had a huge bag filled with school supplies---pens, pencils, notebook paper, rulers etc.-- all back to school stuff.

She then explained to me it was for her kids. Now her kids were older and had jobs of their own. --- worked with her for years from time to time and knew such.

She explained to me that it was a program of some sort---no matter whether it was City,State, or Fed I can't recall-- but she got "her share" of the freebees and one could suppose or believe that someone who really needed it did not.

It made me sick of her. She had a condo which she rented out and a 3 family home that she lived in in addition to her job.

This is just one of many mooch "stories".

My personal cynisism is based on years of expierience. Far to many today have no scrupples.

I guess it does affect my personal giving habit. I only give to my own kids. The taxpayers take care of the rest.
  • Jump to: