Thread Rating:

rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 194
  • Posts: 11295
March 19th, 2023 at 6:36:07 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

Ironic that a 100 trillion Zimbabwean note, literally not worth the paper itís printed on, is now selling for $235
link to original post



The artwork of the uh... stack of rocks must be worth something.
Always have two boxes. One to think in, and one to think in out of the other box.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 4297
March 20th, 2023 at 8:30:15 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Quote: Ace2

Ironic that a 100 trillion Zimbabwean note, literally not worth the paper itís printed on, is now selling for $235
link to original post



The artwork of the uh... stack of rocks must be worth something.
link to original post



Thanks for that little rabbit hole...

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/balancing-rocks-of-the-zimbabwe-dollar

Apparently, the rock formation's main claim to fame is that it was featured on the money, and now it is called "The Money Rock".
May the cards fall in your favor.
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 194
  • Posts: 11295
March 20th, 2023 at 9:31:17 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Quote: rxwine

Quote: Ace2

Ironic that a 100 trillion Zimbabwean note, literally not worth the paper itís printed on, is now selling for $235
link to original post



The artwork of the uh... stack of rocks must be worth something.
link to original post



Thanks for that little rabbit hole...

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/balancing-rocks-of-the-zimbabwe-dollar

Apparently, the rock formation's main claim to fame is that it was featured on the money, and now it is called "The Money Rock".
link to original post



I was hoping it wasn't a picture of the founders.
Always have two boxes. One to think in, and one to think in out of the other box.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 13210
March 21st, 2023 at 1:16:17 PM permalink
Remember when "data processing" was considered a job title? Back in the day you never really knew what "date processing" meant or what they did all day. It for some reason the other day I was thinking my job is probably "data processing" in many ways. I guess back in the 80s and early 90s it made office workers feel more important.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
Joined: Jun 15, 2018
  • Threads: 89
  • Posts: 4011
March 21st, 2023 at 1:31:23 PM permalink
I went to take a computer course around 1984, and it was nothing like a home Apple computer. It was this.
1964 IBM 029 Keypunch Card Punching Demonstration - YouTube
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 13210
March 21st, 2023 at 1:32:34 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

I went to take a computer course around 1984, and it was nothing like a home Apple computer. It was this.
1964 IBM 029 Keypunch Card Punching Demonstration - YouTube


link to original post



1984? That was the PC age?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 194
  • Posts: 11295
March 21st, 2023 at 1:34:32 PM permalink
I remember people who said they worked in "data processing" but, yeah, never thought about what it was. I think I thought it might involve punch cards or something because it sounded like something where a machine was used.
Always have two boxes. One to think in, and one to think in out of the other box.
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 84
  • Posts: 10301
March 21st, 2023 at 2:36:27 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

I went to take a computer course around 1984, and it was nothing like a home Apple computer. It was this.
1964 IBM 029 Keypunch Card Punching Demonstration - YouTube


link to original post



That is the machine I started on in the 1980's. The computers had no keyboards and no monitors. All input was via punch card, and all output was via a line printer.

My first checkers game I wrote you had to run to the card punch and make a card for every move (eg. A1 B2), then run to the card reader and feed it in. The printer then printed a whole new board with every move.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 13210
March 21st, 2023 at 3:21:23 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Quote: ChumpChange

I went to take a computer course around 1984, and it was nothing like a home Apple computer. It was this.
1964 IBM 029 Keypunch Card Punching Demonstration - YouTube


link to original post



That is the machine I started on in the 1980's. The computers had no keyboards and no monitors. All input was via punch card, and all output was via a line printer.

My first checkers game I wrote you had to run to the card punch and make a card for every move (eg. A1 B2), then run to the card reader and feed it in. The printer then printed a whole new board with every move.
link to original post



Are you sure you do not mean the 60s or 70s? Punch cards would have been gone by the 80s. The IBM PC would have been used after 1981,
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
LoquaciousMoFW
LoquaciousMoFW
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 194
March 21st, 2023 at 3:45:59 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Quote: DRich

Quote: ChumpChange

I went to take a computer course around 1984, and it was nothing like a home Apple computer. It was this.
1964 IBM 029 Keypunch Card Punching Demonstration - YouTube


link to original post



That is the machine I started on in the 1980's. The computers had no keyboards and no monitors. All input was via punch card, and all output was via a line printer.

My first checkers game I wrote you had to run to the card punch and make a card for every move (eg. A1 B2), then run to the card reader and feed it in. The printer then printed a whole new board with every move.
link to original post



Are you sure you do not mean the 60s or 70s? Punch cards would have been gone by the 80s. The IBM PC would have been used after 1981,
link to original post


Punch cards lasted a surprisingly long time. Think public schools and government systems. My university taught FORTRAN using punch cards into the late 80's.

  • Jump to: