Thread Rating:

Gialmere
Gialmere
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
  • Threads: 37
  • Posts: 1603
August 3rd, 2020 at 10:15:32 AM permalink
Yes. And with little to no competition in those days the networks had a strong hand in shaping the culture. A top rated show at its peak (like an "All in the Family") could have half of all the TVs in the country tuned in to watch. If you referenced it at work the next day everyone would know what you're talking about.

The ratings of today's top shows, by contrast, would have placed them in borderline cancel status, and you're lucky if anyone gets a reference.

What is that? A talent show? Sorry. I was playing Call of Duty and then watched Kayak racing on ESPN 8 the Ocho.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 166
  • Posts: 9657
August 3rd, 2020 at 10:24:30 AM permalink
Curious how many people who watch TV watch antenna TV?

I held out for years, and now pay a stupid amount for the 5% of channels I watch and the other 95% I have but donít watch.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 72
  • Posts: 6279
August 3rd, 2020 at 11:18:29 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Curious how many people who watch TV watch antenna TV?

I held out for years, and now pay a stupid amount for the 5% of channels I watch and the other 95% I have but donít watch.



I don't know anyone that watches over the air TV.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 171
  • Posts: 9488
August 3rd, 2020 at 11:41:44 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I don't know anyone that watches over the air TV.



When the over the air channels went digital a few years back, a Long Island inventor came up with something to attach to your existing antenna in order to keep using it. He offered it around and no one was interested so he went the late-night infomercial route and sold a half a million in six months, so someone is watching over the air tv. I just don't know any of them.
Joeman
Joeman
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
  • Threads: 34
  • Posts: 1788
August 3rd, 2020 at 1:23:33 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Curious how many people who watch TV watch antenna TV?

I held out for years, and now pay a stupid amount for the 5% of channels I watch and the other 95% I have but donít watch.

I "cut the cord" back in 2008 or 9. The cable company kept reducing channels while simultaneously raising rates. I had had enough.

These days, I can get 50+ channels over-the-air (maybe 15 are worth watching). I can get all the networks I have heard of and a few I haven't. The only problem came when ESPN took over broadcast rights for SEC football.

I had to break down and get Sling TV. At first, I just had it September through December for football season. The next year, I kept it through March to watch the first two weekends of the NCAA's. Now, I have it all the time.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 171
  • Posts: 9488
August 3rd, 2020 at 1:29:20 PM permalink
I get basic dish for $40 a month. It's some special program available to rural communities. However, if I want a Hopper dvr and on demand, that would be another $65 a month.
I pay for hulu, exchange passwords for netflix and get Disney+ for a year free.
When I get some downtime, I'm going to use the free trials for HBO and Showtime to catch up on what I've missed.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff 
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14433
August 3rd, 2020 at 1:30:22 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Yes. And with little to no competition in those days the networks had a strong hand in shaping the culture.

Even when Art Linkletter did the commercial as a part of his show, he merely avoided the mass water pressure chage, he never affected content all that much.
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 171
  • Posts: 9488
August 3rd, 2020 at 1:51:30 PM permalink
I get basic dish for $40 a month. It's some special program available to rural communities. However, if I want a Hopper dvr and on demand, that would be another $65 a month.
I pay for hulu, exchange passwords for netflix and get Disney+ for a year free.
When I get some downtime, I'm going to use the free trials for HBO and Showtime to catch up on what I've missed.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
  • Threads: 95
  • Posts: 4282
August 3rd, 2020 at 1:53:53 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I don't know anyone that watches over the air TV.


A lot of people do, especially as some channels, like Buzzr or MeTV, aren't available on a significant number of cable systems, but are broadcast over-the-air as subchannels of broadcast channels. For example, DirecTV and AT&T U-Verse will not carry subchannels.

It's not always easy; for example, I live about halfway between San Francisco and Sacramento, and neither city's OTA signals reach me very well, especially as I live somewhere that is surrounded by hills.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 424
  • Posts: 24168
August 3rd, 2020 at 2:20:16 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I get basic dish for $40 a month.



I added CBS All Access for $6 a
month, well worth it. I'm
disappointed most of their hit
shows from the 60's are missing,
but I'm still happy with it.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal

  • Jump to: