P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
July 1st, 2012 at 7:12:47 AM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

Imagine if everyone stopped having kids...

Cleaner air and water, less land lost to landfills, homes getting cheaper like computers, steady oil prices (and without accelerating global warming), enough resources to go around?

Well, okay. Realistically, it just means foreign nations grow in size faster, so increased immigration.
But hey - we can't choose how our kids are born (smart, dumb, healthy, sick, eager, lazy, gay, straight), but we can choose who immigrates. That is if we open the gates a little and take, let's say, 10% rather than 0.1% of those who want in.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 121
July 1st, 2012 at 7:21:01 AM permalink
Quote: P90

Cleaner air and water, less land lost to landfills, homes getting cheaper like computers, steady oil prices (and without accelerating global warming), enough resources to go around?

Well, okay. Realistically, it just means foreign nations grow in size faster, so increased immigration.
But hey - we can't choose how our kids are born (smart, dumb, healthy, sick, eager, lazy, gay, straight), but we can choose who immigrates. That is if we open the gates a little and take, let's say, 10% rather than 0.1% of those who want in.

Good points, but I sort of also meant, Imagine if EVERYONE stopped having kids.

I mean, if the US way of not providing paid maternity leave is so great, and other countries didn't as well, and EVERYONE decided "Hey, I can't afford to have any children, so I won't have any". Then the human race would just end.

Ok, so people will still have children, so my example is not realistic. BUT, my point is that countries/governments do give incentives (tax breaks) for having children, and it is usually in the best interest of the country for their residents to have some children.

I don't think requiring companies to give parents 6 weeks to be with their newborns is a terrible thing. Or at least require that companies offer an affordable short-term disability policy.
P90
P90
July 1st, 2012 at 7:37:11 AM permalink

Good points, but I sort of also meant, Imagine if EVERYONE stopped having kids.

Hmm. But then imagine if Sun was made out of cotton candy, could be reached from a ladder on top of very tall buildings, and the speed of light was only 10 fps so you could take advantage of time dilation effects by running reasonably fast.

I mean, if the US way of not providing paid maternity leave is so great, and other countries didn't as well, and EVERYONE decided "Hey, I can't afford to have any children, so I won't have any". Then the human race would just end.

Then human race has already ended in the times when no countries had maternity leave. Which means we are simply ghosts imagining it going on, the way ghosts do. It also explains why we can't reach the Sun by putting a ladder on top of one of WTC towers - ghosts aren't meant to leave their planet, nor are they meant to gorge themselves incessantly on cotton candy.

I don't think requiring companies to give parents 6 weeks to be with their newborns is a terrible thing. Or at least require that companies offer an affordable short-term disability policy.

You mean requiring companies who can't afford giving out leaves to refrain from hiring women that are in that stage of life where they might get pregnant and are not likely to abort, or just avoid hiring women except at significant discount.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
July 1st, 2012 at 7:37:57 AM permalink
I thought the US gave tax breaks based on family size?
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
FinsRule
FinsRule
July 1st, 2012 at 8:05:05 AM permalink
Quote: P90

You mean requiring companies who can't afford giving out leaves to refrain from hiring women that are in that stage of life where they might get pregnant and are not likely to abort, or just avoid hiring women except at significant discount.

Apparently my hypotheticals are crazier than anyone else's on this board.

Anyway, men and women would be given the 6 weeks. So your choice is hire someone who might have kids, or someone who is older and is more likely to get sick.
P90
P90
July 1st, 2012 at 8:28:49 AM permalink
We both know the solution - at-will employment.
"So, pal, it's your 15th week here and you want 6 on the house now? Too bad - you've been made redundant an hour ago."

And I have no experience in the matter, but 6 weeks leave doesn't sound like it's going to be of that much use.
FinsRule
FinsRule
July 1st, 2012 at 8:48:10 AM permalink
6 paid weeks might let people actually use the full 12 weeks that's given to them by FMLA. I would extend FMLA to 26 weeks for the cases of a birth of a child.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 111
July 1st, 2012 at 9:00:19 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

I thought the US gave tax breaks based on family size?

This is true for average and low income families. The tax break for having kids is eliminated for higher earners.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 111
July 1st, 2012 at 9:01:30 AM permalink

6 paid weeks might let people actually use the full 12 weeks that's given to them by FMLA. I would extend FMLA to 26 weeks for the cases of a birth of a child.

FMLA jut requires the company not to fire you. You will not be paid, unless you had a contract that said you would.
FinsRule
FinsRule
July 1st, 2012 at 9:03:52 AM permalink
Yeah, I know.

As you quoted, I wrote that if people were given 6 paid weeks of maternity/paternity leave, then people might actually use the full 12 weeks of FMLA. (6 paid, 6 unpaid)

Also, I think FMLA (unpaid) should be 26 weeks for the cases of a birth of a child.

• Jump to: