Poll

4 votes (36.36%)
7 votes (63.63%)

11 members have voted

buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
June 29th, 2012 at 5:59:27 PM permalink
" Don't you know you're not supposed to offer rational alternatives to contrived hypotheticals? ;) "

You are facing the possibility of a 3 day suspension.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 173
June 29th, 2012 at 6:17:09 PM permalink
Quote:

Through an unfortunate series of events, you are now hanging onto the bottom of the basket of a rapidly rising, pilotless, hot air balloon. The others who were hanging on with you, have since let go, and the last person to do so appears to have broken both legs on impact. You now have to a decision: Let go, and face certain, serious injury; or hang on, in hopes of getting rescued, or the situation improving. You have an okay grip right now, but your arms are tiring, and people on the ground are looking smaller and smaller...

...could we add a suitcase in the basket with a million dollars in it?

Ah, just kidding.
The Hall of Unverified Claims is a vast place with many shelves.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 173
June 29th, 2012 at 6:25:59 PM permalink
Actually, I was wondering if this was going to be one of those, "How do you tell if the guy with the Ace of Spades in his pocket has already let go by the color of his hat?" or something similar
The Hall of Unverified Claims is a vast place with many shelves.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
July 1st, 2012 at 4:37:40 PM permalink
Thanks for the responses. I find it very interesting that as of this moment the voting is 7-2 in favor of hanging on (with the odds of death increasing quickly), while on the "Take a loss or Risk more to get even" thread, eveyone voted "take the loss". Why the reluctance to take the loss (certain injury), when the other option is quickly turning to "certain death"?

I think Face hit it (literally..) on the head. Our brains work quite differently when we have to make quick, life/death/injury decisions, versus having time to evaluate each outcome. I agree that our natural tendency is to underweigh the longer term negative ramifications of our choices, especially when we are under pressure to make quick decisions.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
July 1st, 2012 at 4:45:30 PM permalink
You presented a real-life situation where one choice is about 80% death and 20% permanent disability (likely quadriplegic, extrapolating from the last guy), and the other choice offers opportunities for rescue.

My decision personally would depend a lot on whether I'm set to balloon over NRA Annual Meeting or over Woodstock.
Seeing how I'd attend the former but never the latter, it did color my decision.

It's different from abstract "take a loss or take your chances".
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama

• Jump to: