6 votes (20.68%)
2 votes (6.89%)

29 members have voted

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
December 15th, 2011 at 7:33:33 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I'm wasn't familiar with the surgical aspect of this, but that bothered me the least of this whole thing.

Exactly. I didn't figure the vet opens up the dog with a dirty meat cleaver and rips the vocal folds with his bare hands. But that's beside the point. It's like saying a kidnaper gives you lydocaine before snapping off your finger. I'm sure you wouldn't feel appreciative of his consideration.

Really, people ought to understand that even though pets are domesticated they remain animals. They can learn to behave, to some extent, but overall it's better to channel their natural behaviors to something or somewhere you find unobjectionable; and some things you simply need to put up with. Like having the cat pick one piece of furniture to ruin, or letting the dog bark at passing strangers.

As it is we do inflict some necessary pain and anguish to our pets giving them basic medical care. No dog enjoys getting vaccinated, for example, but they'd enjoy rabies even less.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Lucky777
Lucky777
  • Threads: 3
December 17th, 2011 at 8:48:50 PM permalink
Oh my gosh! Just joined and I'm subjected to this horror! Seriously, I never had a kid and only recently got a little yorkipoo and I tell her 100 times a day how much I love her and I mean it every time, and I couldn't imagine ever taking away her voice. Torture! A crime! A heinous crime! Can't even think about it.
Some doggies and other animals have no home tonight in the cold. They all need our love.
Me and my dog bark together! It's fun and she loves it! We just yelp and howl and it's a great source of entertainment for both of us! What goes around comes around! This is really disturbing to me to even think about doing such a thing.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
April 2nd, 2013 at 5:03:02 PM permalink
Dogs have no idea that they have been debarked. Barking is purely a mechanical function. In the dogs mind (they really don't have one) they are barking. No, my dogs are not chained up outside.
Each day is better than the next
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
April 2nd, 2013 at 5:08:30 PM permalink
please no anthropomorphism.....
Each day is better than the next
hwccdealer
hwccdealer
  • Threads: 11
November 11th, 2013 at 1:53:17 AM permalink
I wouldn't do it. All that work just to prevent the dog from being a little more annoying? Not worth it at all.

I also won't declaw a cat. I will adopt a cat that's already declawed, and I have two that are (and one that's not) but I won't do it myself. My one cat who's not declawed will let me trim his claws, so there's no need to declaw.
silicone
silicone
  • Threads: 1
November 11th, 2013 at 3:04:00 PM permalink
Quote: reno

Animal devocalization is a procedure in which a dog or cat's vocal cords are surgically removed to prevent the animal from barking or meowing. Massachusetts and New Jersey have banned the procedure, as has Britain and the European Union. Critics of the procedure say that it's cruel to prevent animals from communicating, and that scar tissues in the throat create breathing hazards.

Is it wrong? Should it be illegal?

surgically removing an animals voice box or declawing an animal is So BARBARIC !!!!!
Lets do this to people as well.
Remember dogs are mans best friend !!
My gosh people are we for real !?
The fact is if the bark of a canine is not for you then you should not have a canine of any type. If a felines claws irritate you then you should not have any felines. No one forces this upon you, you have the right to choose NOT to have any animals. Therefore you should not force devoicing or declawing up on any being on earth.
Just Me.......
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 98
November 11th, 2013 at 7:42:29 PM permalink
My brother's first wife had 4 dogs, all debarked, when they married. She insisted his hound have it done as well, so he did (the 5 dogs had lived together for about 2 years at this point, so the behavior change was not due to being part of a forced pack). The dog (Murphy the 1st; mine is Murphy the 2nd), was a large yellow hound with huge personality, and

1. definitely knew he had lost his voice
2. went into a personality change directly after, was sad and frustrated the rest of his life
3. stopped playing, gave up trying to give notice of strangers, just slogged around depressed.

No anthropomorphism involved, just observation, and that example was enough for me. I've had great success in training dogs not to bark except when I think it's acceptable to do it (like strangers at the door/in the yard), so I've never needed to anyway, but wouldn't in any case.

Likewise on de-clawing cats. I'm not a cat person, but a cat needs claws for both flight and flight situations, and unless it NEVER goes outside, it's unfair to the cat. Even inside it's still not palatable to do that to the cat, but since I don't keep them, I don't have much to say about it.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.

• Jump to: