22 votes (20.75%)
42 votes (39.62%)

106 members have voted

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
March 29th, 2013 at 6:32:55 PM permalink
Quote: rudeboy99

All I'm sure of is that the gov't "War on Drugs" run through the last 25 or 30 years has been an absolute nightmare and turned into probably the most tragic social experiment this country has seen since slavery was legal. The monetary cost is infinite, and the cost of the destruction of untold millions of our own citizens lives is surely a HUGE stain that society will never be able to undo. And for what? Street drugs are more plentiful than EVER, and the money is so HUGE and EASY, that we've become an example to the rest of the world how a country SHOULD NOT react to the illicit drug industry.

But the question is what is the alternative? The USA is already going down the path where too much of the population spends so much time stoned or high as to not be able to run their lives. At the bottom level you can see just total destruction, crack-heads and meth-heads who cannot function. At a level up it is quieter, people who can work but have an addiction problem such that they are always on the edge of life. And so many who cannot get a decent job because they cannot pass a drug test.

It isn't going to get any better soon. Too many people think their lives are supposed to be like a TV show, and when it isn't they take something to forget. It will be part of the collapse of society, the question is when.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
March 30th, 2013 at 12:44:39 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

But the question is what is the alternative?

I've said it all along - education and rehabilitation.

We spend ~$40,000,000,000 a year on the WoD. Forty Billion! And that’s just the enforcement; I suppose what would be the arrest, prosecution, and incarceration. How much do we lose in productivity? How many functioning addicts are no longer part of the “makers”, producing goods and services and paying taxes, and are now part of the “takers”, bleeding this country dry $30k a year at a time? And to what end? Drug barons living like Gods, users going in one end of the system and coming out the other worse off than they were, only to go right back in again within a few months.

We give up ~$50,000,000,000 in lost tax revenue. Fifty Billion! This abandonment of logic is costing us over $100mmm a year, each year, every year, never mind the social cost of the effect of incarceration of non-violent, non-problem stoners and space cases.

You guys that have never used; was it “fear of the 5-0” that kept you straight? Most straight arrows I know didn’t use because they care about their health and don’t like being stupid. As a man that lived the drug life and has been in the game; I didn’t get clean over fear of jail, I got clean because the life fucking blows. Getting nicked never stopped anyone I knew, all it did was make them try harder to be incognito and take bigger risks to get away.

Legalization won’t cause a flood of new users. The straight edge are gonna straight edge. The users are gonna use. The only difference is that me, you, and everyone else aren’t going to pay for it. Dump a few billion of this windfall into the schools, teach these young bucks that drugs suck. Dump a few billion into the med field, give those who missed the education a way out. And if both go unused and someone wants to work a register by day and smoke his brains out in front of an Xbox at night, then bleeding let him. He’s gonna do it anyway, WoD or not. At least he’s working and paying taxes, instead of refining his game in a jail cell on my dime.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
April 10th, 2013 at 5:29:21 PM permalink
Quote: Face

I've said it all along - education and rehabilitation.

We spend ~$40,000,000,000 a year on the WoD. Forty Billion! And that’s just the enforcement; I suppose what would be the arrest, prosecution, and incarceration. How much do we lose in productivity? How many functioning addicts are no longer part of the “makers”, producing goods and services and paying taxes, and are now part of the “takers”, bleeding this country dry $30k a year at a time? And to what end? Drug barons living like Gods, users going in one end of the system and coming out the other worse off than they were, only to go right back in again within a few months.

We give up ~$50,000,000,000 in lost tax revenue. Fifty Billion! This abandonment of logic is costing us over $100mmm a year, each year, every year, never mind the social cost of the effect of incarceration of non-violent, non-problem stoners and space cases.

You guys that have never used; was it “fear of the 5-0” that kept you straight? Most straight arrows I know didn’t use because they care about their health and don’t like being stupid. As a man that lived the drug life and has been in the game; I didn’t get clean over fear of jail, I got clean because the life fucking blows. Getting nicked never stopped anyone I knew, all it did was make them try harder to be incognito and take bigger risks to get away.

Legalization won’t cause a flood of new users. The straight edge are gonna straight edge. The users are gonna use. The only difference is that me, you, and everyone else aren’t going to pay for it. Dump a few billion of this windfall into the schools, teach these young bucks that drugs suck. Dump a few billion into the med field, give those who missed the education a way out. And if both go unused and someone wants to work a register by day and smoke his brains out in front of an Xbox at night, then bleeding let him. He’s gonna do it anyway, WoD or not. At least he’s working and paying taxes, instead of refining his game in a jail cell on my dime.

Great post.

(I know I'm seriously necro-posting on a ton of threads here. Sorry, catching up.)
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Ahigh
Ahigh
  • Threads: 86
May 20th, 2013 at 5:18:21 PM permalink
I just saw these on the Gambler's General Store and thought it might be of interest to those following this thread.

http://www.gamblersgeneralstore.com/products/bicycle_hemp_deck/3001.php?page_id=50
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 13th, 2013 at 8:51:44 AM permalink
BTW, I saw a lot, and I mean a lot, of Vegas souvenirs with pot leaves on them. A few said things like "legalize it," but most didn't. the most popular was a pot leaf and the words "High from Vegas!" It was on T-shirts, magnets, keychains, pens, mugs, etc.

I think it's a good sign. With legal pot in Colorado nearby, and quasi-legal pot in California next door, Nevada is a domino about to tumble.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
riverbed
riverbed
  • Threads: 4
June 13th, 2013 at 1:01:37 PM permalink
Because the war on drugs would just continue under this new paradigm. Why would that be good or effective?
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
June 13th, 2013 at 3:56:01 PM permalink
The question is moot, at least as to pot.

It is legal here.
"What, me worry?"
Givag327
Givag327
  • Threads: 2
July 1st, 2013 at 3:34:18 PM permalink
Not sure if this has been discussed already, kinda skimmed through it..But it can be Legal, its the businesses that have the right to choose whether or not they want to employ anyone who uses...thats going to be a big problem in Colorado and Washington.. a lot of businesses have already stated that they will not employ and terminate users.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
July 2nd, 2013 at 4:10:59 AM permalink
Quote: Givag327

Not sure if this has been discussed already, kinda skimmed through it..But it can be Legal, its the businesses that have the right to choose whether or not they want to employ anyone who uses...thats going to be a big problem in Colorado and Washington.. a lot of businesses have already stated that they will not employ and terminate users.

Well in CO/WA the users are still currently breaking federal law so that is not an issue.

If the Feds legalize it gets murky. IMHO a business is free to hire who they want and should have the right to set any limit on it. (Yes, that means ANY.) However, laws are on the books. Again IMHO where safety was concerned you could make an argument that there should be a no-hire policy. Say truck drivers. Even when not using a regular user can have slower reaction times. OTOH there are businesses where you swear they hire *only* users.

I can see CA being a first to pass a law prohibiting limits on hiring users.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
wroberson
wroberson
  • Threads: 19
July 22nd, 2013 at 9:16:09 AM permalink
I'm a pot smoker when I can afford it. It's the only drug I care about. I've grown my own indoors and out and always kept it to the lowest number of plants at the lowest penalty. I've never had more than a few ounces and it's never been about making bank.

There's a new documentary called "How to make money selling drugs". It's on OnDemand, you may find it on yt. There's not much new information and fails to cover the medical marijuana scene. The title is worse than it appears. Yes they go through a step by step with actual dealers. but there's also a message on the war on drugs. Privately own prisons are making a fortune imprisoning people.

It's a solid 3 stars, and maybe a revelation or two. Definitely some interesting real life stories.
Buffering...

• Jump to: