2 votes (13.33%)

15 members have voted

rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
September 14th, 2011 at 6:22:02 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Unless it isn't. See: May 23, 2006.

Although, I guess if the anthems weren't played on the 21st, maybe none of that disgraceful mess would have happened in the first place...

Sorry, clarifying now:

May 23, 2006 was the date on which all of Rexall place in Edmonton sung O Canada together. May 21st is the date when the "fans" at The Pond in Anaheim booed the Canadian National Anthem.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 264
September 14th, 2011 at 7:02:22 AM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

I believe the National Anthem should not be played at all sporting events.

Started in this country as a War Bond sales pitch during WW Two.
matilda
matilda
  • Threads: 3
September 14th, 2011 at 7:19:11 AM permalink
Consider yourself lucky--In England, God Save the Queen is also played before concerts, movies etc. But then it is a nicer tune.
dm
dm
  • Threads: 14
September 14th, 2011 at 9:49:46 AM permalink
I think the anthem should be sung 100 times a day by EVERY politician to remind them that they are trying to enrich our country, not themselves.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
September 14th, 2011 at 11:03:56 AM permalink
Quote: matilda

Consider yourself lucky--In England, God Save the Queen is also played before concerts, movies etc. But then it is a nicer tune.

Since when? Never happened at any concert or movie I ever went to. Never happens at regular football (soccer) games or rugby events.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
matilda
matilda
  • Threads: 3
September 14th, 2011 at 11:08:25 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Since when? Never happened at any concert or movie I ever went to. Never happens at regular football (soccer) games or rugby events.

Probably old memories for me. I guess they have changed. I hear there is actually ice in pub drinks now.
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
  • Threads: 42
September 14th, 2011 at 7:19:22 PM permalink
Heard this on local sports radio who were doing some national anthem talk ... going by memory, you might check against anthem-wiki or whatever ...

The anthem was first played at a sporting event in 1918 during the 7th inning stretch at a Cubs home game at whatever-it-was-called-before-they-called-it-Wrigley Field. At the time, it was common to have a military band on hand for entertainment. For some reason, they played the anthem one day. I'm not sure of exactly what was going on, but it was evidently a time of some national malaise ... close on the heels of WWI, etc. One of the Cubs players was on military leave, and upon hearing the first few notes, immediately snapped to attention. The other players followed in civilian manner ... hand-over-heart, etc. By the end of the song, the whole stadium was participating.

From there, they played the anthem at 7th inning stretch of, like, Series games, other big games, international games, etc. Not every time.

When WWII came about, it became played at all events and the tradition was born. It *might* have been some trick to sell bonds, but I don't think they needed the anthem at games to do that, so I think that's a cynical conclusion. I think it's more likely that it was a sign of patriotism and remembrance.

Evidently, the anthem was done pretty straight-up until in 1964 when Jose Feliciano stylized it for the first time. Nothing notable to us today, but at the time was something completely different. Stylized versions of the anthem became vogue, with Henrix's probably the most famous. But at sporting events, it still stayed pretty straight-up.

Anyway, we see stylized anthems a lot more now. Some of the more famous ones ...
* Marvin Gaye at the 1983(4?) NBA All-Star game - madrigal-like smooth jazz beat underneath
* Whitney Houston at the SB XXV - first notable use of 4/4 time signature
* Roseanne Barr at SD Padres baseball game - blech

If I had to rate my Top 5 anthems ever, straight-up and/or stylized, they would be ...
5. 2002 Winter Olympics opening ceremony by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir
4. 1992 NHL All-Star Game in Chicago
3. USA:Italy 2006 World Cup
2. Whitney Houston at SB XXV
1. 1980 US hockey medal ceremony
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
  • Threads: 42
September 14th, 2011 at 7:20:16 PM permalink
Quote: matilda

I got to sing "My Country 'Tis Of Thee" before the England:USA match in the World Cup last summer!

• Jump to: