Thread Rating:

Twirdman
Twirdman
  • Threads: 0
February 15th, 2015 at 1:38:31 PM permalink
Quote: HowMany

I challenge the "warmers" to watch Al Gore's flick today.

The claims he made in that "documentary" are laughable.

Silly me I forgot that a nonscientific documentary by a non-scientist making some off predictions somehow invalidates all the science showing warming done by thousands of climate scientist.
bobsims
bobsims
  • Threads: 9
February 15th, 2015 at 6:29:18 PM permalink
Quote: Twirdman

Silly me I forgot that a nonscientific documentary by a non-scientist making some off predictions somehow invalidates all the science showing warming done by thousands of climate scientist.

Call your deluded theories SCIENCE with a capital S then ridicule anyone who dares question them.
The Climate Chicken Little's cluck that "Miami Beach is gonna sink in 20 years!!!"
The problem? They've been saying it for 20 years and the Atlantic hasn't advanced one damn inch.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
  • Threads: 29
February 15th, 2015 at 7:29:26 PM permalink

Dude, 99% of climate scientists are wrong. Don't you know anything? And vaccines cause autism. And personally, I question whoever invented gravity...I'm not sure it's real. I mean planes fly don't they? Gravity says they would fall. And don't get me started on evolution! Despite the wealth of evidence to the contrary, clearly the earth was created 5,000 years ago and man co-existed with dinosaurs...how can you possibly argue with that? Carbon dating is a trick by Satan.
Dalex64
Dalex64
  • Threads: 1
February 15th, 2015 at 7:33:48 PM permalink
Redacted
HowMany
HowMany
  • Threads: 13
February 16th, 2015 at 6:56:05 AM permalink

Altered data, and/or ignored data that contradicts an agenda.

Is this what "science" is in 2015?
HowMany
HowMany
  • Threads: 13
February 16th, 2015 at 12:19:44 PM permalink
If a Climatologist isn't on board with "Man Made Global Warming" he (or she) will lose their government grants.

It's true- check it out.
PBguy
PBguy
  • Threads: 4
February 18th, 2015 at 6:56:14 PM permalink
There are tens of millions of people in the US wishing for a little global warming right about now.

I have two issues with most of the hype of global warming: models that predict change yet can't come close to reproducing natural variability particularly with regards to the oceans and predictions of doom and gloom. For the most part a little warming is extremely beneficial for mankind. Cold wet weather is what leads to disease, crop failures, deaths, etc.

A lot of climate science is making models that rely on other models to predict something. That's means any little mistake is multiplied and amplified.

A lot of the peer reviewed climate science is junk with climate scientists trying to do statistics instead of relying on statisticians.

I don't doubt at all that the earth has warmed. I believe man has contributed to that warming. What I'm VERY skeptical about is claims about the future and all of the dire consequences.
cmc0605
cmc0605
  • Threads: 7
February 24th, 2015 at 8:11:27 PM permalink
Quote: HowMany

If a Climatologist isn't on board with "Man Made Global Warming" he (or she) will lose their government grants.

It's true- check it out.

I do climate science. That's the field I am actively engaged in research in, and if I could show that global warming was not happening and was not predominately caused by humans, I'd be famous and win a nobel.

The approach in grant writing is to say something is important but so uncertain that we need more study. The incentive for an individual is to overturn current thinking.

The fact is that global warming is happening, and can be attributed with high confidence to extra CO2 in the atmosphere. The physics underlying the problem is over 100 years old and is on the same footing as any other scientific principle. Although the atmosphere is complex (like the study of stars and black holes and everything else) we actually do know some stuff.
reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
February 24th, 2015 at 9:17:02 PM permalink
Quote: cmc0605

I do climate science. That's the field I am actively engaged in research in, and if I could show that global warming was not happening and was not predominately caused by humans, I'd be famous and win a nobel.

I'm generally sympathetic to the theory of climate change. Your professional field involves thousands of scientists working at hundreds of universities across dozens of languages, and for them to all be organized into a giant conspiracy/hoax is difficult for me to swallow. It's much more likely that the Earth is warming.

Nevertheless I have questions. Here are four:

1) Apparently the planet has warmed by about 0.7 degrees Celsius over the past 100 years. To the layman, this seems a rather small, insignificant change. Why should we worry about a rise of just 0.7 degrees?

2) As the Earth warms, we've been told to brace ourselves for more (tropical) storms of greater intensity. But the past few hurricane seasons have been noticeably quiet in North America. Is there a relationship between climate change and storm frequency/strength?

3) What's the biggest worry (for humans)? That the ice caps will melt and the coasts will flood? That tropical diseases (malaria, etc.) will spread? Droughts? Agriculture disaster/famine?

4) Do you ever have any doubts that perhaps the current temperature rise is merely a coincidence? Temps go up, temps go down, maybe it's all just part of the natural cycle?
harvson3
harvson3
  • Threads: 0
February 25th, 2015 at 8:25:10 AM permalink
Quote: bobsims

The Climate Chicken Little's cluck that "Miami Beach is gonna sink in 20 years!!!"
The problem? They've been saying it for 20 years and the Atlantic hasn't advanced one damn inch.

That's not really true. Sea level rise at Virginia Key, just south of South Beach, has been recorded.
http://grist.org/cities/miami-sea-level-rise-climate-change/

And ask the US Navy about the Norfolk Navy Yard and what they're having to do there.

• Jump to: