Wavy70
Wavy70
  • Threads: 15
May 19th, 2011 at 8:44:45 PM permalink
To be safe I have picked up extra beer. I also listed the neighbors I plan on enslaving in the Apocalyptic times.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
May 20th, 2011 at 1:13:59 AM permalink
Quote: www.familyradio.com/facts

will throw open all graves...the bodies of all unsaved people will be thrown out upon the ground...

FINALLY I get my zombie apocalypse! And they say this is a bad thing? Gonna sleep with the shotgun so I can get an early start in the morning. =)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
May 20th, 2011 at 5:33:00 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Y2K had more credence than this pantload, and remember how that turned out. Every generation for the last 1000 years thought it was living in the 'end times' and could prove it.

Difference is, I've seen a y2k bug... But never seen an end of times one. There's also the 2038 bug (I think that's the right year) when the Unix calendar runs out. Unix counts the number of seconds since Jan 1st 1970. Lots of systems use unix, and the date runs out of bits to store the seconds arond then. No doubt it'll be solved or a non issue by then.

The mayan 2012 nonsense is almost the same thing... The cycle ends (according to some who are making it up from what I can tell), December 20th,2012. Except the Mayans dealt with this and have a larger count above their normal cycle to count this tick over. There's no explicit written down 'this is the end', just the equivalent of us using 99 to show a year. There is one example of the Mayans predicting the end of the universe though... Which works out to be trillions of years away, well after most cosmological models predict the heat death of the universe. Maybe they did know something after all....

The early Christians thought that JC's return was imminent too. No doubt other religions implicty or explicitly fed off the disaster coming as well.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1279
May 20th, 2011 at 7:36:39 AM permalink
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 295
May 20th, 2011 at 7:47:14 AM permalink
Quote:

will throw open all graves...the bodies of all unsaved people will be thrown out upon the ground...

oh, sure, that's in the Bible
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1279
May 20th, 2011 at 8:29:23 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

oh, sure, that's in the Bible

The Dawn of the Dead too.

It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 20th, 2011 at 9:19:57 AM permalink
Quote: Croupier

Maybe is the Mayan version of the Y2K bug.

Back in the late 90s, I'd sometimes joke that even solving the Y2K bug would do nothing to prevent the Y3K bug :P

Quote:

Either that, or the Mayans thought they would be around to finish the calendar some point in the future, and didnt feel the need to write out more than 2000 years in advance.

A calendar is a tool to keep track of time and/or the seasons. Nothign more. Errors in a calendar can cause problem. Correcting those errors can also cause problems. But minor, transitory problems, far from the end of the world. The analogy is the world ended when your watch's battery died, because time no longer passed...
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
konceptum
konceptum
  • Threads: 33
May 20th, 2011 at 10:47:53 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Back in the late 90s, I'd sometimes joke that even solving the Y2K bug would do nothing to prevent the Y3K bug :P

Well, moving to a four-digit system to handle years to solve the Y2K bug implies that there wouldn't be a Y3K bug. However, it does imply that there will be a Y10K bug.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 20th, 2011 at 11:29:51 AM permalink
Quote: konceptum

Well, moving to a four-digit system to handle years to solve the Y2K bug implies that there wouldn't be a Y3K bug.

That was the joke. Many people didn't get it.

Quote:

However, it does imply that there will be a Y10K bug.

I should think if that be so, it will prove easier to fix than Y2K.

BTW Y2K was a real problem. we had tho upgrade our software not to keep it going, but to be able to print invoices, reports, etc with the right date. That was the extent of my troubles.

I also read a few reports of people being issued credit cards with an expiration date like 10/00 in the late 90s, only to be told their cards had expired 97 years ago (they expired, BTW, before credit cards even existed!). Also of stores that received warning s from their systems that certain long shelf life items, like canned goods, had expired ninety-odd years ago.

So it was a real problem but in the late 90s.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
May 20th, 2011 at 1:06:42 PM permalink
Whether it is the end of everything or not, some will not make it past the weekend. Are you ready?

RIP Macho Man.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci

• Jump to: