wildqat
wildqat
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 4
  • Posts: 157
January 23rd, 2011 at 11:26:14 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

But it's... impossible to screw up oatmeal.


McDonald's hasn't rolled out the oatmeal down there yet, huh?

Quote: Nareed

If you do, I strongly advise you to buy the Harrah's/Caesars all-day buffet pass (and get a Total Rewards card first, as the price is lower with one and you don't need to wear a plastic bracelet all day). That way you won't feel as though you paid for a bad meal, and you can use the pass for a better buffet for lunch or dinner at Harrah's nearby Planet Hollywood down the way or the Rio off-Strip.


FTFY. Flavors seems to have gone downhill as of late (although we haven't been there in almost a year (holy crap)). The rest is good advice. The trick is to go for a late dinner shortly before the buffet closes (usually 10:00 PM) and get the pass then. That way you get the most bang for your buck. Wife and I hit Spice Market three times and Lago once (only because we were staying at Caesars) doing that last month. That's about $150 worth of meals for $80. Ten bucks a head is pretty good, especially for Vegas, even if you get dog food for one of your meals.
Croupier
Croupier
Joined: Nov 15, 2009
  • Threads: 58
  • Posts: 1258
January 24th, 2011 at 12:57:20 AM permalink
Quote: wildqat

M The trick is to go for a late dinner shortly before the buffet closes (usually 10:00 PM) and get the pass then. That way you get the most bang for your buck. .



My wife and I had planned to do exactly that!
[This space is intentionally left blank]
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
January 24th, 2011 at 6:57:14 AM permalink
Quote: wildqat

McDonald's hasn't rolled out the oatmeal down there yet, huh?



No fast food restaurant has ever had nay decent sort of breakfast. If anyone can screw up oatmeal, it would be one of them.

Quote:

FTFY. Flavors seems to have gone downhill as of late (although we haven't been there in almost a year (holy crap)). The rest is good advice. The trick is to go for a late dinner shortly before the buffet closes (usually 10:00 PM) and get the pass then.



Flavors was fine for dinner last May. Not as good as Rio or Paris, but pretty good overall. Breakfast at the Flamingo was good, too.

I bought passes on that schedule, too, and squeezed four meals out of each. It's the smart move, after all :)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
February 1st, 2011 at 11:40:59 AM permalink
Quote: Croupier

Sounds like a plan. If we go together we can compare notes. We can sort out a date via PM closer to the time.



I'm thinking about making a wager. According to Nareed's Laws of Las Vegas, I forget which number, the best way to enjoy a Vegas buffet is to go in with lowered expectations. But there's the IP Exception, which states: No amount of lowered expectations will work at the IP buffet. It needs to improve in order to be deemd bad.

So I'm claiming it's just one short step above inedible, right? Of course there's some comedic exaggeration (if that's even a word). We should wager on that. Say if either one of us debunks the IP Exception honestly, I'll buy you and your spouse dinner that night or lunch the next day (I'm thinking at Tony Roma's or the Peppermill, nothing fancy). Or you owe me dinner or lunch if the IP Exception withstands the test.

The only problem I see is how to judge.

Any thoughts?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Croupier
Croupier
Joined: Nov 15, 2009
  • Threads: 58
  • Posts: 1258
February 1st, 2011 at 12:12:13 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed



The only problem I see is how to judge.

Any thoughts?



Mmm, an interesting Wager which indeed proposes a conundrum. Independent judgement would be difficult. After discussing it with my wife, all we can think of is that at least 2 of the 3 of us have to try everything offered (meaning an early start) and then using a binary scoring system of 0 (for bad, wouldnt want more, or eat it again) or 1 for (acceptable or better, would go for seconds, would eat it again) the buffet has to score a 1 on over 50% of its offering.

eg, there are 20 options, You score 11, I score 9, and my wife scores 11 would pass as 2 out of 3 of us scored overall acceptable or better, so the IP exception would fall down.

same 20 options, You score 9, I score 10, my wife scores 10, the buffet would live up to the IP exception, as less than 50% is acceptable.

all scoring would be done independently and collated later by all of us.

It still has flaws (such as my wife not being a true control subject, but short of kidnapping and blindfolding a hobo, it would be hard to find a true control)but is the best I can come up with.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
Joined: Mar 11, 2010
  • Threads: 80
  • Posts: 7157
February 1st, 2011 at 12:24:22 PM permalink
Quote: Croupier


It still has flaws (such as my wife not being a true control subject, but short of kidnapping and blindfolding a hobo, it would be hard to find a true control)but is the best I can come up with.



Take the Wiz?
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
February 1st, 2011 at 12:43:01 PM permalink
Quote: Croupier

Mmm, an interesting Wager which indeed proposes a conundrum. Independent judgement would be difficult. After discussing it with my wife, all we can think of is that at least 2 of the 3 of us have to try everything offered (meaning an early start) and then using a binary scoring system of 0 (for bad, wouldnt want more, or eat it again) or 1 for (acceptable or better, would go for seconds, would eat it again) the buffet has to score a 1 on over 50% of its offering.



Pretty good. of course now it's work ;) Seriously, it's beter than what I thought.

Quote:

It still has flaws (such as my wife not being a true control subject, but short of kidnapping and blindfolding a hobo, it would be hard to find a true control)but is the best I can come up with.



Not knwoing your wife I'll abstain from comment. But there is one, well, not a flaw, but a question: what about things we don't like no matter where or how they are prepared? Take seafood and fish, for example. I can't stand either in any way, shape or form. So maybe the IP has the best quality crab, prepared by the finest chef, and yet if I tried it I'd give it a 0. And I'm picky in other ways, too.

How about this? We each try one of everything we'd usually eat, excluding things we don't like to eat or are allergic to (imagine: fine texture and flavor, required a visit to the ER; the paramedics were very nice <g>). In order not to overeat, I tend to remind myself on every buffet that it's about variety and not quantity. So this way we test how varied the buffet is as well.

The things I go trhough for a free dinner :P
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Croupier
Croupier
Joined: Nov 15, 2009
  • Threads: 58
  • Posts: 1258
February 1st, 2011 at 12:52:19 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed


Not knwoing your wife I'll abstain from comment. But there is one, well, not a flaw, but a question: what about things we don't like no matter where or how they are prepared? Take seafood and fish, for example. I can't stand either in any way, shape or form. So maybe the IP has the best quality crab, prepared by the finest chef, and yet if I tried it I'd give it a 0. And I'm picky in other ways, too.



so is my wife.

Quote: Nareed


How about this? We each try one of everything we'd usually eat, excluding things we don't like to eat or are allergic to ( So this way we test how varied the buffet is as well.



That was part of my plan already, which is how I came up with the 2/3 number, as I thought 2 out of 3 of us should eat pretty much everything. At least we should cover all the items between us.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
Toes14
Toes14
Joined: May 6, 2010
  • Threads: 18
  • Posts: 455
February 1st, 2011 at 1:05:08 PM permalink
The wife & I made the mistake of trying the IP buffet last time in Vegas as she was absolutely starving before we were to meet her friends at the IP. It was lunch time, if that makes a difference.

Nothing was obviously rotten or made wrong, but nearly everything we had was marginal at best. It was like they used the worst possible ingredients and preparation they could possibly get away with. The only things that were decent were the fountain soft drinks and some of the desserts. Everything else was dry, tough, and tasteless, or just wrong.
"Bite my Glorious Golden Ass!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
February 1st, 2011 at 2:12:34 PM permalink
Quote: Croupier

That was part of my plan already, which is how I came up with the 2/3 number, as I thought 2 out of 3 of us should eat pretty much everything. At least we should cover all the items between us.



It sounds more like two out of two out of three :)

We should cover everything. I'd settle for covering 90% of everything, though. But short of roping up another innocent victim, I don't see what else we can do.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal

  • Jump to: