JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 235
May 18th, 2021 at 4:12:00 AM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

I saw a couple videos about Area 15 (one via Vital Vegas podcast alert), and it sure looks trippy! It's going to the top of the list!

Yep, something for everyone. One part Mad Max, one part 1950's Sci-Fi, one part groovy 60's psychodelic vibe.....

Like the castle in its corner In a medieval game; I foresee terrible trouble And I stay here just the same
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 71
May 18th, 2021 at 9:45:43 AM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

I’m planning on it costing about the same as a day at Disneyland.

Yow! I just saw the price list. Disneyland costs, indeed!

But at least you can choose attractions a la carte. Omega Mart looks like an E ticket!
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
May 18th, 2021 at 12:55:50 PM permalink
Admission to the Building is Free, Parking is Free ( woot woot ), and Gawking is Free, so what do you have to lose ?

BUT YES the Exhibitions are $$$'s.
Like the castle in its corner In a medieval game; I foresee terrible trouble And I stay here just the same
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1399
Thanks for this post from:
smoothgrh
September 23rd, 2021 at 7:43:49 PM permalink
I gave the Omega Mart a try earlier this week. You may recall last time I didn't go because of the price and my incorrect assumption it was a small fake store.

Within the store are various secret passages that go to a two-story ... art installation ... in the back. This part in back is hard to describe, but it has slides, rooms with various themes, and contraptions that are various kinds of interactive art. Not only is it hard to explain, but the lighting is dark and inconsistent, leading to very difficult photography.

For the so-inclined, I think there are puzzles to be solved, but I didn't bring my glasses and didn't get very far with that. It starts with a shopper card they give you. You can get "clues" by scanning it various places. There are a lot of phones about and posted phone numbers, all six-digit. There was one door some adults seemed to be trying very hard to open, which I think had a coded entrance. Perhaps it lead to another secret area. I am genuinely curious.

In closing, here is a web site mentioned on a brochure in the hotel lobby: The Society of Peripheral Studies.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
heatmap
heatmap
  • Threads: 184
September 24th, 2021 at 5:06:15 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

In closing, here is a web site mentioned on a brochure in the hotel lobby: The Society of Peripheral Studies.

• link to original post

my brain is melting after clicking on that link
    JohnnyQ
    JohnnyQ
    September 24th, 2021 at 9:07:22 AM permalink
    I also ventured through Omega-Mart earlier this year.

IF you are going to go, I would suggest going at the earliest available time, so that as you explore it, it isn't crowded. Plan on staying about 2 hours to go through Omega-Mart, and another 1/2 hour to see the free displays indoors and in the parking lot. They have a large parking lot that was easy to use in the daytime when we visited ( maybe not so much in the evening, caveat emptor ).

NOW having said that, I am not sure it is going to be everyone's cup of tea. I would say best for teens through 30-somethings, and also artsy types of all ages.

Most of these pictures are from the "Mart" section. There is a lot more to see and do behind "several" secret passageways. We didn't quite finish the last step or two of the "puzzle", but I think I got the gist of it:

Greedy Out of Control Corporations Using Natural Resources and Polluting are Bad.

We weren't quite able to topple it, but I think we would/could have if we had more time/interest in continuing

Last edited by: JohnnyQ on Sep 24, 2021
    billryan
    billryan
    • Threads: 202
    September 24th, 2021 at 9:14:56 AM permalink
    I was intrigued by the publicity about the place before it opened, but nothing I've read or seen of it has me thinking of going. It sounds like an over-priced tourist trap taken to the next level.
    The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
    MichaelBluejay
    MichaelBluejay
    • Threads: 51
    September 24th, 2021 at 9:46:46 AM permalink
    I love the idea of Cracker Spackle™.
    JohnnyQ
    JohnnyQ
    September 25th, 2021 at 7:16:31 AM permalink
    Quote: billryan

I was intrigued by the publicity about the place before it opened, but nothing I've read or seen of it has me thinking of going. It sounds like an over-priced tourist trap taken to the next level.

I think the Pricing is comparable to most attractions in Vegas.

So fair enough if you think that most of the attractions in Vegas are over-priced tourist traps. I think a lot of Vegas attractions do fit into that category.
    MichaelBluejay
    MichaelBluejay
    • Threads: 51
    September 25th, 2021 at 4:13:40 PM permalink
    Lots of good ideas in this thread. I extracted the good bits and added them to these various articles:

Things to Do in Vegas

Free Things to See in Vegas

Things to Do for Kids

• Jump to: