smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 87
January 7th, 2019 at 11:15:41 PM permalink
The Sears store at 3450 S Maryland Pkwy Las Vegas NV.

And Bonnie Springs Ranch, though at this point it's a rumor.
Last edited by: smoothgrh on Jan 8, 2019
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
January 7th, 2019 at 11:40:29 PM permalink
I had a blast when I toured Bonnie Springs, but last time I stopped by, wanting to visit the bar, they wanted $10 to park. That's okay for a tour and a visit to the zoo, even for people going horseback riding, but charging people to park for a burger and a brew blows.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
January 8th, 2019 at 10:35:16 AM permalink
I drove past there once and wanted to stop, but had a packed itinerary. I heard a rumor that they still had non-RNG, vintage slot machines in operation.

But yeah, paying to park for the privilege of dining/drinking in the middle of nowhere is a poor business model. Unless they validate your parking and refund the amount when you settle your tab.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
Thanked by
smoothgrh
January 12th, 2019 at 6:13:30 AM permalink
We took the kids out there when they were in grade school, and it was OK. We got some fun, goofy pictures. I remember that the horse riding guide woman wasn't a "people person" and was unnecessarily rude to my wife and daughter.

- It got a good review in Frommer's if I recall correctly. But the property had slipped somewhat between when the article was written and when we visited.

- We always try to do something new and unique each trip to Vegas, and I guess this was one of those things.

From the original link:

Update (1/8/19): A source tells us Bonnie Springs Ranch was sold for $30 million. Following our scoop, NevadaCurrent.com shared plans have been filed with Clark County to divide up the ranch into 22 parcels for residential housing. Documents show the buyer of Bonnie Springs Ranch is Joel Laub, former CEO of Astoria Homes.

Update (1/9/19): Our story has been confirmed by a number of sources. It’s expected the sale will be finalized in March 2019 when demolition will begin, but the buyer has agreed construction will not start until the zoo animals are relocated. Plans call for 20 homes to be built (each 2-3 acres), as well as a 25-room motel and 5,400-square foot event barn, whatever that might actually be.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
October 25th, 2019 at 10:22:41 PM permalink
Here’s the results from the Bonnie Springs auction.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
October 26th, 2019 at 2:55:40 AM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

The Sears store at 3450 S Maryland Pkwy Las Vegas NV.

BSR has a Thanks for the memories page on the web. Ain't no rumor, now.
Sears I assume will re-open as a Google distribution center.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
Thanked by
smoothgrh
October 26th, 2019 at 4:55:11 AM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

It's a fact. I have ridden past it many times and there is a big closed sign at the entrance. Rumor has it the old lady who ran it died and her kids immediately sold it, with the intent to parcel it develop it for residential use, which I strongly oppose, but don't think there's anything I can do to stop it.

That was a nice place. I have good memories of it with my kids. Somebody asked about the slots -- yes, they did have working fully-mechanical slots there.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
October 26th, 2019 at 8:14:59 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

It's a fact. I have ridden past it many times and there is a big closed sign at the entrance. Rumor has it the old lady who ran it died and her kids immediately sold it, with the intent to parcel it develop it for residential use, which I strongly oppose, but don't think there's anything I can do to stop it.

You could buy it.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
October 26th, 2019 at 9:04:10 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

You could buy it.

If you do buy it, the AP move would be to convert it residential.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
billryan
billryan
October 26th, 2019 at 9:33:31 AM permalink
It was a nice place to visit, but I'd never live there. Someday ,that giant boulder will come loose and flatten all in its shadow.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
October 27th, 2019 at 4:10:45 PM permalink
The lone slot machine sold at the auction was a 1976 Bally EM slot machine that sold for $1,225 with 48 bids.

Aside from the Bonnie Springs Old Nevada belly glass, the final selling price + buyer fee was way too much for that model.
billryan
billryan
October 27th, 2019 at 5:53:10 PM permalink
There were few bargains at that auction, which is very unusual for Vegas auctions.
  • Jump to: