Gandler
Gandler
Joined: Jan 27, 2014
  • Threads: 30
  • Posts: 1402
January 17th, 2020 at 7:25:14 PM permalink
Quote: UP84

Among other things, the swastika IS a flag.


Quote: Gandler

Should Tibet flags be banned because China defeated them?
I guarantee your answer will vary based on your perception of the morals of the defeated nation....

Totally agree, and that's the problem with the Stars and Bars




Nobody here has the Stars and Bars as their profile pic. (not any member I can find). One person I know of has the Confederate Battle Flag as their avatar. Nobody has the swastika.

I have the Gay Pride Flag in my avatar which other members have tried to have removed (one saying "fag flags" should be banned). I beleive in free speech and acceptance. That has to go both ways.

Avatars are one of the few remaining ways to express our support since the political ban. Banning ideological symbols and flags from avatars will be over the top.


As to the original topic, if somebody has a spelled out curse word in their avatar, that should be banned.
TigerWu
TigerWu
Joined: May 23, 2016
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 4022
Thanks for this post from:
DeMangoForager
January 17th, 2020 at 8:04:48 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler


Avatars are one of the few remaining ways to express our support since the political ban. Banning ideological symbols and flags from avatars will be over the top.



Why do we need to express political support of anything in a gambling forum?
Gandler
Gandler
Joined: Jan 27, 2014
  • Threads: 30
  • Posts: 1402
January 17th, 2020 at 9:18:33 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Why do we need to express political support of anything in a gambling forum?



Because historically that has been a way people on this forum make their positions clear, especially back in the day of when there were heated political and ideological debates.

If mods remove all avatars and have nothing except a signature (like it used to be), that would be one thing. But, clearly they added avatars in the revamp as a way for people to express themselves (that is literally the point of an avatar). Once you start limiting symbols and overlays, it would get silly.

Either remove all avatars or just let people have anything (obviously nothing illegal or spam ads, but anything that most people would consider reasonable.....)
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 163
  • Posts: 9513
January 17th, 2020 at 9:50:10 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

Nobody here has the Stars and Bars as their profile pic. (not any member I can find).



Absolutely. His avatar isn't actually subversive political commentary looking similar to an item known to be offensive to many people. And mine isn't either. Mine's just about love.

Next I'm going to turn a duck into a chicken by adding some chicken feathers to it, and putting it in a chicken coop.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 221
  • Posts: 11637
January 18th, 2020 at 4:39:50 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz


I have friends of color who refuse to go down south because they still fear getting lynched even though they have never been there.



If they are Black maybe if you inform them that they are statistically many times more likely to be killed by another Black than any White person? Leaves out some places in the south, New Orleans being the biggest tourist area they would want to avoid, but plenty safe elsewhere.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
darkoz
darkoz
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 227
  • Posts: 6424
January 18th, 2020 at 12:16:52 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

If they are Black maybe if you inform them that they are statistically many times more likely to be killed by another Black than any White person? Leaves out some places in the south, New Orleans being the biggest tourist area they would want to avoid, but plenty safe elsewhere.



That's not the point. We are talking about perceptions which are difficult to convince people to change. To them the south is synonymous with racism
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Gandler
Gandler
Joined: Jan 27, 2014
  • Threads: 30
  • Posts: 1402
January 18th, 2020 at 12:34:21 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

That's not the point. We are talking about perceptions which are difficult to convince people to change. To them the south is synonymous with racism



The South is far more diverse than the North.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 221
  • Posts: 11637
January 18th, 2020 at 1:10:35 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

That's not the point. We are talking about perceptions which are difficult to convince people to change. To them the south is synonymous with racism



So the point is perceptions are wrong?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
darkoz
darkoz
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 227
  • Posts: 6424
January 18th, 2020 at 1:35:26 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

So the point is perceptions are wrong?



The point is symbols generate perceptions

Like "The South" and your Avatar.

For example, The A-OK symbol (forefinger circle and three fingers in a raised wave behind it) means you are an A-hole in many countries

Is it right for me to use it? Sure. but if I am constantly doing it to people who recognize it as profanity, it's insulting to keep insisting I am doing nothing wrong
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
TigerWu
TigerWu
Joined: May 23, 2016
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 4022
January 18th, 2020 at 2:39:29 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

The South is far more diverse than the North.



Probably from all the slave descendants.

  • Jump to: