Thread Rating:

darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 244
July 15th, 2020 at 2:37:51 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Interesting... I see virtually ALL of the sports leagues surviving beyond this season if they can't bring in live audiences. Do you actually believe any of the NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB, PGA, Nascar, actually fold if there are no fans this year? They certainly will lose money, but "NOT SURVIVE"???? Pick which one you think will "not survive" and let's make a bet!!!!!

As far as your 'minor league' thoughts, players with major league aspirations will wait another year.... very few if any real major league prospects will give up on the dream because they miss a season.

As far as the municipalities losing money on the stadiums... spot on! The Raider's stadium.... that is quite a boatload paid to build a stadium for NO fans!

Yeah one year the minor Leaguers will survive.

An aside, there were a few Jewish athletes prepped for the 1936 Olympics American team.

Olympics were held in Germany. Hitler refused to let them play. The world capitulated and they were told they could compete in the 1940 Olympics.

1940 didn't happen - world war two

1944 didn't happen - world war two

1948 - they were too old to compete by then
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 203
July 15th, 2020 at 3:16:12 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I fully expect the NFL to play this season. Wanna bet $10?

The NFL may start the season, but they won't finish. I will bet that.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 74
Thanks for this post from:
tringlomane
July 15th, 2020 at 4:41:00 PM permalink
I think the NFL would have no problem surviving many years without fans.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 244
Thanks for this post from:
tringlomane
July 15th, 2020 at 5:08:20 PM permalink
NFL

No Fans Live
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 203
July 15th, 2020 at 6:58:23 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

It isn't about the fans, it is about the players unions. The players are quite powerful through their unions, now-a-days. If a number of players get sick, or god forbid die, the players will balk so fast it will make your head spin. It won't be about money to these guys, once a couple players die.

And by the way, someone can correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that all the guaranteed money, for all the guaranteed contracts, have to be paid as soon a the first game is played. ;/
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 34
July 16th, 2020 at 5:39:50 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

It isn't about the fans, it is about the players unions. The players are quite powerful through their unions, now-a-days. If a number of players get sick, or god forbid die, the players will balk so fast it will make your head spin. It won't be about money to these guys, once a couple players die.

I disagree. Teams have twice the number of players on their pre-season roster than are allowed during the regular season.

If some guys quit or become sick, there will always be others to take their places. If whole teams refuses to play, there is another team's worth of players who had already been on that franchise's roster in camp. And should the NFLPA strike, we have seen that the NFL is not above bringing in scab players during labor disputes.

It's all about the money. There will always be players willing to forego the risks for a shot in the NFL, and the paychecks that come with it. I don't see any scenario not involving government intervention that will cause the NFL to not fulfill their end of their TV contracts.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 175
July 16th, 2020 at 8:18:09 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Can the NFL survive? Of course it can. The vast majority of teams are owned by people that don't depend on their teams for their livelihood. The Jets are owned by a guy who is the principal owner of Johnson and Johnson. No NFL owner and his family will starve if the NFL were to fold tomorrow.
I just think that if they don't play this year, and conditions are not back to normal next year, they will suspend operations.
A football game or any sporting event without fans is like watching a game on tv with the sound muted. It can be done, but why bother?
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 13
July 16th, 2020 at 8:23:38 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Can the NFL survive? Of course it can. The vast majority of teams are owned by people that don't depend on their teams for their livelihood. The Jets are owned by a guy who is the principal owner of Johnson and Johnson. No NFL owner and his family will starve if the NFL were to fold tomorrow.
I just think that if they don't play this year, and conditions are not back to normal next year, they will suspend operations.
A football game or any sporting event without fans is like watching a game on tv with the sound muted. It can be done, but why bother?

UFC without fans has been fine to watch. Would be eerie to watch an NFL game in an empty stadium, but not fatal.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 74
July 16th, 2020 at 8:26:19 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

To me, watching sports on television is not much different if there are no fans in attendance. I think the NFL would be the only sport that could still flourish without fansin attendance. I love college football but I think the revenue from fans will be required for it to maintain its status.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 175
July 16th, 2020 at 8:34:07 AM permalink
I can't watch the UFC without fans, but it also may be I have not seen a match that attracted me. I don't think it would be fatal, but I think it would damage the league and its relations with its fans. I think they would suspend the league before doing this on an ongoing basis.
About 20-25% of NFL rosters are made up of rookies. If colleges don't play this year, where will the rookies come from? An NFL roster that has no rookies means that a much as a quarter of the team would normally have lost their jobs to attrition. Does the NFL want to water down their teams with a bunch of players who normally would be cast out?

• Jump to: