SiegfriedRoy
SiegfriedRoy 
  • Threads: 18
January 31st, 2020 at 9:20:21 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I must be in the minority. I like to have my room cleaned everyday. Do you people tip housekeeping daily or at the beginning or end of stay. I usually tip once on my way out of the room. I realize it might be a different housekeeper getting the money but I figure it all works out in the end.

For me I love the feeling of coming back to the room to a nice and clean room. I tip because I feel bad that I always make a mess. In addition, Iíve heard rumors that some nasty housekeepers will clean the toilet with your toothbrush out of spite if you donít leave tip.

As far as limo tips, Iím getting a sense that mine is much higher than everyoneís. I will keep that in mind. The only time I do accept the hotelís limo is when I fly with a large number of folks and we tend to have multiple strollers and car seats that the limo drivers have to manage. I always felt $50 split amongst 6-8 people wasnít a big deal knowing we didnít have to fight the taxi line or coordinate multiple ubers to get to the hotel. If there ever is a next time I take a comp limo with only a few folks, Iíll tip less. However, I highly likely will use a limo in that case because Iím cheap and will likely Uber.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 65
January 31st, 2020 at 9:45:54 AM permalink
Quote: SiegfriedRoy

Hotel housekeeping : $2 a day
Valet attendant : $2-$3
Bell man : $1-2 a bag and no less than $5
Comp Limo: $50 if going to or from the airport, and $30 - $40 around town based on distance
Cab hauler : $1
Fancy restaurant : 18 - 20%
Buffet : 10% - 15%. If itís self-serve drinks, I tip 10%.
Cocktail waitress: $2 a drink or $3 a drink if I want her to keep bringing drinks
Poker dealer : $1-$3 a game I win

I agonize over tipping the "right" amountónot too much, not too littleóand seem to fall into these ranges.
Hotel housekeeping : $3 a day
Valet attendant : $2-$3
Bell man : $1-2 a bagóeventually either $5 or $10.
Comp Limo: N/A
Cab hauler : N/A
Standard restaurant : 18Ė20%
Fancy restaurant : 15Ė18%
Buffet : $2/person, rounded upómore if service is beyond standard
Cocktail waitress: $1 a drink for water; $2 if it's a beer or something simple. $3 if I ask questions or the service is beyond standard.
Poker dealer : $1 for a small pot; $2 if it's a big pot; $3 if it's a monster pot/I've been winning.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
Thanks for this post from:
Forager
January 31st, 2020 at 9:47:59 AM permalink
Quote: Ace2

Wouldnít it be nice if all restaurants/bars raise prices 18%, increase salaries and eliminate tipping. Letís just agree on a price from the beginning.

I'd definitely prefer raising prices, increasing salaries, and eliminating tipping.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
January 31st, 2020 at 9:51:38 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

>>Valet attendant : $2-$3
A bit low. Reward speed and consider temperature.

Oh yeah, if it's freezing or scorching out, then I'll give a better tip.

• Jump to: