DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 89
July 6th, 2024 at 8:25:18 AM permalink
I travel about twice a month from Florida to Atlanta which is about an 1 hour 20 minute flight. When I went to book my upcoming flight the prices were around $600 for the flight where I usually pay around $350 for the roundtrip. I have no idea why this particular week in July is so expensive so I had to do some creative flight planning.

The outgoing one way flight is $349 direct to Atlanta which is ridiculous. I was able to book a flight from Florida to Washington DC for $173 with a layover in Atlanta. That flight is the exact same fight that costs $349 to Atlanta. Obviously I will just get off in Atlanta and forfeit the rest of the flight to DC. I can never make sense of airline pricing.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
MaxFlavor
MaxFlavor
  • Threads: 2
July 6th, 2024 at 8:32:46 AM permalink
You know that's called "skiplagging" right? It's been in the news for the last couple of years. mostly because of this article:

Business Insider - July 17, 2023

"American Airlines barred a 17-year-old from flying with the airline for 3 years because he tried to use a 'skiplagging' ticket, the teen's father says
Marielle Descalsota Jul 17, 2023"
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 40
July 6th, 2024 at 8:33:47 AM permalink
When are you flying? The flights I booked for us end of July or so from CA to FL are pretty cheap, all nonstops. But what is interesting is how few nonstops there are these days. Same with the flights we booked from southern CA to Reno to get to Tahoe this month, not too many nonstops, and we usually spend a full month each year in _____ at our home there or on a different ______ island as a tourist, and again usually only one nonstop a day.

With SWA all seats are the same, and with other airlines almost always fly coach, cheapest possible. I actually have seen lots of celebrities flying coach, especially old school ones. Unless the miles or some promo pay for a free first class upgrade, I don't do it usually. For some time now, I'd fly in a family member's private jet before I paid for first class. 😂

I understand the concept of not overpaying, but if the flight isn't nonstop where nonstops are available I can't really countenance it at any price.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
DRich
DRich
July 6th, 2024 at 9:41:57 AM permalink
Quote: MDawg

When are you flying? The flights I booked for us end of July or so from CA to FL are pretty cheap, all nonstops.

Let's just say soon. I usually book my flights two weeks in advance and mostly take the same flights because I do this trip every two weeks.
DRich
DRich
July 6th, 2024 at 9:45:19 AM permalink
Quote: MaxFlavor

You know that's called "skiplagging" right? It's been in the news for the last couple of years. mostly because of this article:

Business Insider - July 17, 2023

"American Airlines barred a 17-year-old from flying with the airline for 3 years because he tried to use a 'skiplagging' ticket, the teen's father says
Marielle Descalsota Jul 17, 2023"
link to original post

Yes, I am very familiar with skiplagging. Most airlines will now punish you for doing it if it is a pattern. This is my first time doing it and I was smart enough to not use my frequent flyer number or my Known Traveler number. I even booked it with a different credit card than I usually use. I don't want to make it any easier for them to catch me because I will be screwed if they ban me as I fly with them every two weeks.
MaxFlavor
MaxFlavor
  • Threads: 2
July 6th, 2024 at 12:42:16 PM permalink
Sounds like you're definitely on top of it.
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 655
July 6th, 2024 at 2:34:27 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Yes, I am very familiar with skiplagging. Most airlines will now punish you for doing it if it is a pattern.
This is my first time doing it and I was smart enough to not use my frequent flyer number or my Known Traveler number. I even booked it with a different credit card than I usually use. I don't want to make it any easier for them to catch me because I will be screwed if they ban me as I fly with them every two weeks.
link to original post

So you created a new acct for this flight?

Also:
https://skiplagged.com/

It'll search for possible skiplagging flights
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 19
July 6th, 2024 at 2:50:17 PM permalink
My hacks,

I rent a 5x5 storage in LV $26 a month I leave a set of golf clubs and one check bag in it.
This allows me to book flights on Spirit for 30 bucks. Spirits Hustle is low fair high carryon
checked bag fee 80 bucks SEA to LV carryon. With these fee's typically your better off with
Delta or Alaska nicer seats more leg room. If you don't have baggage 30-50 bucks early
to mid week gets me from SEA To LV.

Coming soon hack,
Bought a cheap car $3500 Camery, for those who don't know super reliable good gas known
to go half a million miles or more. After I perform some minor repairs and upgrade the stereo
system I will drive it to LV and for about sixty a month I can store it in a parking facility
I will keep Golf Clubs and luggage in the trunk.

The downside is you must use A laundromat.
Last edited by: rainman on Jul 6, 2024
DRich
DRich
July 6th, 2024 at 2:52:56 PM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

Yes, I am very familiar with skiplagging. Most airlines will now punish you for doing it if it is a pattern.
This is my first time doing it and I was smart enough to not use my frequent flyer number or my Known Traveler number. I even booked it with a different credit card than I usually use. I don't want to make it any easier for them to catch me because I will be screwed if they ban me as I fly with them every two weeks.
link to original post

Also:

link to original post

No, I booked as a guest and didn't use my account. Obviously the name and birthdate will match but I am hoping they really don't look into it as it is a first time for my name.
100xOdds
100xOdds
July 7th, 2024 at 8:10:46 AM permalink

link to original post

Also:

link to original post

No, I booked as a guest and didn't use my account. Obviously the name and birthdate will match but I am hoping they really don't look into it as it is a first time for my name.
link to original post

Same address and phone # as well?
yeah, dont sweat it if it's your 1st time.
DRich
DRich
July 7th, 2024 at 8:26:08 AM permalink

They don't ask for address and I used a different phone number. Obviously I am gambling, but I think it is less than a 1% chance it has any negative ramifications for me.
100xOdds
100xOdds
July 7th, 2024 at 10:14:33 AM permalink

They don't ask for address and I used a different phone number. Obviously I am gambling, but I think it is less than a 1% chance it has any negative ramifications for me.
link to original post

How did you pay with credit card if you didn't put down an address?
DRich
DRich
July 7th, 2024 at 10:22:02 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

The credit card does have an address associated with it but the vendor does not have access to the address. It is tokenized and sent to the card processor. That is part of the PCI standards.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
July 7th, 2024 at 7:43:59 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

The credit card does have an address associated with it but the vendor does not have access to the address. It is tokenized and sent to the card processor. That is part of the PCI standards.
link to original post

From what I've seen over the past 15 years or so, "address" just means that the zip code should match what the issuer has on file.
May the cards fall in your favor.
  • Jump to: