Thread Rating:

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 8
September 22nd, 2021 at 5:03:21 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Quote: Dieter

Many of the home improvement stores I see will rent you a pickup truck for an hour for $20, so you can get your larger occasional purchases home.

I believe UHAUL still offers cargo vans and pickups for $20/day + mileage, but it's less convenient.

Not saying these are the best options, but they are options if you're more focused on the other 358 days a year when a truck may be less convenient.

• link to original post

I have seen that at THD. Uhaul will kill you on mileage charges. Thing is it is not always THD. Not always even a store. My brother saves his leaves for me to dump in my garden to compost. As does his neighbor. So I fill the back of my SUV. I know scrappers who will see an old washing machine in the trash and load it up. People who tow need it to tow. Nobody is going to go thru the hassles of renting for these kind of things. Meanwhile, the truck is not "less convenient" for most people. What you spend on extra gas would equal 1-2 rentals that you describe, if that.
  • link to original post

All fair points.
    I find it less convenient to my life to have my brother in law ask me to dispose of his compost, or so and so is moving into their first apartment, or can you help me pickup firewood, or my stepfather in law upgraded stoves and still has the old one and his wife's mom's just broke 3 counties over and could I run it up to her and help her install it; this all directly led to me opting out of the truck.

Not having a truck in the driveway has dramatically reduced the number of truck related favors I am asked to provide.

You can like these sorts of things if you want, though.
    May the cards fall in your favor.
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    • Threads: 227
    September 22nd, 2021 at 5:47:34 AM permalink

Many of the home improvement stores I see will rent you a pickup truck for an hour for $20, so you can get your larger occasional purchases home.

I believe UHAUL still offers cargo vans and pickups for $20/day + mileage, but it's less convenient.

Not saying these are the best options, but they are options if you're more focused on the other 358 days a year when a truck may be less convenient.

• link to original post

I have seen that at THD. Uhaul will kill you on mileage charges. Thing is it is not always THD. Not always even a store. My brother saves his leaves for me to dump in my garden to compost. As does his neighbor. So I fill the back of my SUV. I know scrappers who will see an old washing machine in the trash and load it up. People who tow need it to tow. Nobody is going to go thru the hassles of renting for these kind of things. Meanwhile, the truck is not "less convenient" for most people. What you spend on extra gas would equal 1-2 rentals that you describe, if that.
  • link to original post

All fair points.
    I find it less convenient to my life to have my brother in law ask me to dispose of his compost, or so and so is moving into their first apartment, or can you help me pickup firewood, or my stepfather in law upgraded stoves and still has the old one and his wife's mom's just broke 3 counties over and could I run it up to her and help her install it; this all directly led to me opting out of the truck.

Not having a truck in the driveway has dramatically reduced the number of truck related favors I am asked to provide.

You can like these sorts of things if you want, though.
  • link to original post

Those relate to the socialibility (is that a word?) of a person. I have known people who like having a truck to be able to help folks out. You can also make a couple bucks off of it. Some just like the social capital it brings.

It comes down to how you use your vehicle. When I haul stuff I say I am getting some "U" out of my SUV. Honestly, if feels manly when you are using your pickup or SUV to haul stuff.
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
    DRich
    DRich
    • Threads: 78
    September 22nd, 2021 at 6:23:20 AM permalink

I am currently wondering if I should get that little Hyundai pickup for my next vehicle instead of a Tuscon. A couple times a year I need to get something big at Home Depot or elsewhere that would use the bed. So the fact that the bed can carry a 4x8 is a major factor there. If it did not do that I would not even consider it.

About 25 years ago when I bought my first house I decide to paint it. I needed to buy an extension ladder so I called a friend that had a pickup truck. He didn't answer so I drove to a car dealership, bought a pickup truck, drove straight to Home Depot and bought a ladder, went home and started painting the same day. Purely an impulse buy as I was single and already had two cars and two motorcycles. I kept the truck for four years or so but it was a foolish buy but I was able to accomplish my goal.
    Order from chaos
    gamerfreak
    gamerfreak
    • Threads: 51
    Thanks for this post from:
    RogerKint
    September 22nd, 2021 at 6:41:26 AM permalink
    Having a friend that buys a Tesla is like having a friend that joined a CrossFit gym.

All of a sudden, Tesla is all they are willing to talk about. Itís the only car they will ever drive again. Everyone else is stupid for not immediately going out and purchasing one. Every other car brand is going to be extinct in 5 years. They refer to as Elon Daddy Musk.

And honestly, I would be all over it if

A) Super Chargers were as ubiquitous as gas stations
    or
    B) I was wealthy enough to own multiple 65k+ vehicles

The cult of Elon will argue that enough superchargers are strategically placed around the country that you can go anywhere in the country.

That might be true, but you will regularly be going 45-60 minutes out of your way to charge up on a long trip. There is nothing efficient about that.
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    • Threads: 112
    September 22nd, 2021 at 6:48:56 AM permalink

i
    Deleted. My error.

AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    • Threads: 227
    September 22nd, 2021 at 6:58:13 AM permalink
    Quote: gamerfreak

The cult of Elon will argue that enough superchargers are strategically placed around the country that you can go anywhere in the country.

His cult does amaze me. Mention how ugly the dash of the Model 3 is and they say how every other car has too many bad switches and controls. Like turning on the headlights with one switch is somehow a bad idea compared to finding menus on a screen.

I feel bad for low level managers at other companies who have to listen to upper management tell them "we need to get that kind of loyalty form our customers!" Place I used to work at is probably having meetings saying that.
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
    Dieter
    Administrator
    Dieter
    • Threads: 8
    September 22nd, 2021 at 12:17:15 PM permalink

Those relate to the socialibility (is that a word?) of a person. I have known people who like having a truck to be able to help folks out. You can also make a couple bucks off of it. Some just like the social capital it brings.

It comes down to how you use your vehicle. When I haul stuff I say I am getting some "U" out of my SUV. Honestly, if feels manly when you are using your pickup or SUV to haul stuff.

• link to original post

Also fair points.
    Yes, I'm probably antisocial and jaded after years of getting asked to help some tangential acquaintance move apartments, then they keep me there until all hours of the night because they forget that I need the truck empty so I can go do my thing.

Bumper stickers that read "Yes, this is my truck, No, I won't help you move" are a thing. The stickers don't work as well as one might hope.
    May the cards fall in your favor.

• Jump to: