Thread Rating:

Keeneone
Keeneone 
  • Threads: 18
April 5th, 2021 at 3:48:14 PM permalink
Well, Pearl Harbor comes to mind. But maybe you mean continental US?

I have always wondered if they ever dropped any bombs from the early Civil War balloons.
But if I remember correctly they were used for reconnaissance/observation.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 427
April 5th, 2021 at 4:43:38 PM permalink
Why is Terapined's name in red, did he get suspended from his own Adventures thread? Mister V got suspended to. They are both too adventuresome, that's the problem.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 178
April 5th, 2021 at 4:45:57 PM permalink
Quote: Keeneone

Well, Pearl Harbor comes to mind. But maybe you mean continental US?

Hawaii wasn't a state when it was attacked. It was a territory, as were the other US bases that were attacked.

I have always wondered if they ever dropped any bombs from the early Civil War balloons.
But if I remember correctly they were used for reconnaissance/observation.

To drop a bomb ,I'd think a balloon would have to fly over the enemy position. Observation balloons were kept well behind the lines as they must have been great targets for enemy sharpshooters.
coachbelly
coachbelly
  • Threads: 1
April 5th, 2021 at 4:47:08 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Why is Terapined's name in red, did he get suspended from his own Adventures thread? Mister V got suspended to. They are both too adventuresome, that's the problem.

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/info/rules/5288-suspension-list/#post71165
Keeneone
Keeneone 
  • Threads: 18
April 5th, 2021 at 5:07:26 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

To drop a bomb ,I'd think a balloon would have to fly over the enemy position. Observation balloons were kept well behind the lines as they must have been great targets for enemy sharpshooters.

Good points about Hawaii as a territory and the balloons. Your current neck of the woods (SE AZ) sure has a lot of interesting history.
----------

I had a Grateful Dead sticker on the back of my car in my early twenties. I wasn't really a big fan of the Dead, well maybe some of their songs, but I thought the design was cool.

billryan
billryan
April 5th, 2021 at 5:43:10 PM permalink
I'm not sure if I wrote about this here, but a few months ago I was able to gain access to a site on the old Slaughter Ranch that had been used in 1915-16 as a staging area for General Pershing's Punitive Expedition into Mexico. It's not usually open to the public but a friend of a friend called in a favor. I was told I could keep any small things I found- buttons, knives, etc but not to use a metal detector. There were a few adobe buildings, mostly half intact, and the remains of the latrines were there. A couple of burned-out vehicles that you can recognize, and for reasons unknown, there is a WW2 halftrack that was stripped and abandoned. I didn't stay long as there were snakes all over and I was alone.
TumblingBones
TumblingBones
  • Threads: 28
April 6th, 2021 at 9:04:33 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

After the Civil War a big percentage of cowboys who worked the cattle drives were African-Americans. Do you ever remember seeing one black guy on the episode of Rawhide? It was a bottom of the barrel low-paying super crappy job and often the only ones that would do it we're former slaves.

Good point. The only Black actor I recall every seeing in a TV Western was Sammy Davis in an episode of Wild Wild West. I checked IMDB and he was also on Lawman, Zane Grey Theater, and a show I never heard of: Frontier Circus. Of the four appearances the only one where he plays a cowboy was the 1961 Lawman episode:

As for the general point that everything we read, heard, or were taught about the Wild West was B.S., remember the the lesson from "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence": when the legend becomes fact, print the legend
My goal of being well informed conflicts with my goal of remaining sane.
billryan
billryan
April 6th, 2021 at 10:04:22 AM permalink
Until sometime after WW2, Bisbee was a " sundown town". Negroes were not allowed to be in the city limits overnight unless they were employed as domestics and a few other exceptions.
Indians, Mexicans, Negroes, and Chinese were eligible to work for the mines, but not in the mines.
There was an all-black town called Fry, mostly made up of former Buffalo Soldiers from Fort Huachuca. In the 1950s, the Federal Government seized the town under eminent domain to build a regional air strip displacing the hundred or so families.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 16
April 13th, 2021 at 5:04:41 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

The REAL adventures of terapined

I love Johnny Cash
Was in Sacramento last week and surprised how much respect he gets
Love this

Folsom (Folsom Prison) is a Sacramento suburb if you weren’t aware.

Did you check out the Blythe Intaglios when you were out by Quartzite/Ehrenburg? Such a wide variety of things to explore out West, I can get a bit “canyoned and arched out” hiking wise after a while though gets to be the same thing.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 86
April 13th, 2021 at 5:52:41 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Quote: terapined

The REAL adventures of terapined

I love Johnny Cash
Was in Sacramento last week and surprised how much respect he gets
Love this\\\

Folsom (Folsom Prison) is a Sacramento suburb if you weren’t aware.

Did you check out the Blythe Intaglios when you were out by Quartzite/Ehrenburg? Such a wide variety of things to explore out West, I can get a bit “canyoned and arched out” hiking wise after a while though gets to be the same thing.

Dont intend to update this thread anymore or participate here much
Never a main audience for me anyway
Send me a PM and you can get my FB link with all the pics I've taken
Or go over to DT and I'll answer and maybe post some pics from Quartzite
I dont feel welcomed here
This place has gotten weird
Trolls are really protected here while those that make real contributions to this forum are not and actually have a target on their back.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"

• Jump to: