PlayYourCardsRight
PlayYourCardsRight
  • Threads: 10
January 30th, 2012 at 8:31:59 AM permalink
Question for everyone, because it happened twice during a long session this weekend at Horseshoe Hammond, which is where I play. The house plays the common house rules, including the most typical two-pair rule, but there is no rule governing how to play a three-of-a-kind other than you break apart aces unless you have a full house.

Here's the hand in question:

Ace, Joker, Ace, Queen, Jack, Ten and Two... There were no flush possibilities.

Option one: Ace-high straight and Ace-Two top
Option two: Pair of Aces, Jack, Ten, Two and Ace-Queen top

By rule (since it's not posted), which should the house play? And which would you play if it was in your hand?
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
January 30th, 2012 at 8:43:42 AM permalink
play the A-2 and A*QJ10 straight, much stronger.
With three Aces, play an Ace top with a straight or better, else play a pair of aces bottom, with third ace plus next strongest card.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
January 30th, 2012 at 9:03:58 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
January 30th, 2012 at 10:13:13 AM permalink
Quote: PlayYourCardsRight

Question for everyone, because it happened twice during a long session this weekend at Horseshoe Hammond, which is where I play. The house plays the common house rules, including the most typical two-pair rule, but there is no rule governing how to play a three-of-a-kind other than you break apart aces unless you have a full house.

Here's the hand in question:

Ace, Joker, Ace, Queen, Jack, Ten and Two... There were no flush possibilities.

Option one: Ace-high straight and Ace-Two top
Option two: Pair of Aces, Jack, Ten, Two and Ace-Queen top

By rule (since it's not posted), which should the house play? And which would you play if it was in your hand?

I was at Horseshoe all day Saturday. Everyone said I was stupid when I told my wife to play 7-7-7-2-2-A-8 as a full house with A-8 up. The math probably says I am wrong, but of course the dealer had 3 Jacks with A-6 up. It was pretty funny.
PlayYourCardsRight
PlayYourCardsRight
January 30th, 2012 at 12:14:49 PM permalink
If you were at Horseshoe in Hammond on Saturday, I'm sure we saw each other. I was there all day Saturday, from 11 a.m. until (well nevermind)... I don't recall that hand however.

I play the Wiz's quick rule for setting two pair and it has won me a few hands I would have pushed, and really only burned me once (turning a push into a loss).

And since I've gotten some feedback, the supervisor on duty said the house would have played the three aces rule over the straight, putting AQ on top to have the stronger top with a pair of aces below. It was a long discussion at my table.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
January 30th, 2012 at 12:24:03 PM permalink
You were probably at the table that I tried to get onto that was full when I initially wanted to play at 10 a.m. because there were 3 people each playing 2 spots. That was annoying.

So I played tiles for 2 hours and went over to PGP at around noon.
PlayYourCardsRight
PlayYourCardsRight
January 30th, 2012 at 1:21:42 PM permalink
I didn't get there until 11 a.m., and was on a table that was smoking, then moved after about 30 minutes to one that was marked non-smoking.
Didn't leave that table (right next to the cashier's cage) for a long time.
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
January 30th, 2012 at 1:31:38 PM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

I was at Horseshoe all day Saturday. Everyone said I was stupid when I told my wife to play 7-7-7-2-2-A-8 as a full house with A-8 up. The math probably says I am wrong, but of course the dealer had 3 Jacks with A-6 up. It was pretty funny.

That's a good way to play it, although an AK or AQ is better to keep a full house with a low pair together. You're right in the sense that the A-8 is about as strong as a pair of 2's on top, but the full house beats ALL trips, straights AND flushes on the bottom - for the sweet win in your case.
Ignore ALL Pai Gow Poker wannabees giving you advice, as you play your hand as you see fit when gambling with your money.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
January 31st, 2012 at 10:46:17 AM permalink
I vote Option One: Straight + A2

The difference in 5-card hand-strengths coupled with A2 vs AQ leans that way
Interesting part is you have high-straight vs AA: the House won't go for Option Two due to the Ace in the 2-card hand with the Straight.
Therefore it is quite likely Dealer plays this way also.
Note that if the Dealer has a "down the middle two pair" splitting them is more likely as you have 3 Aces. Thats a Push.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
February 13th, 2017 at 10:56:27 AM permalink
Sorry to bump up this ancient thread... but I'm thinking about a spontaneous trip to Chicago this weekend.

Anyone know what the limits are for PGP at Horseshoe Hammond?
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
TheoHuxtable
TheoHuxtable
  • Threads: 7
Thanked by
ams288
February 13th, 2017 at 3:29:04 PM permalink
Usually $20
Views are my own...
  • Jump to: