Venthus
Venthus
Joined: Dec 10, 2012
  • Threads: 23
  • Posts: 1100
April 29th, 2018 at 11:32:43 PM permalink
It's been around for the last few months at Morongo, but I haven't seen any mention of it here, nor any flavor of it on the Baccarat Side Bets page so figured I'd post the info card here. (And not even try to explain it, since after staring at the description hanging over my head for 15 minutes, I still didn't get it...)

https://imgur.com/a/3jxpMox
Each of the bets are independent.
GlenG
GlenG
Joined: Feb 5, 2018
  • Threads: 11
  • Posts: 410
May 1st, 2018 at 5:21:54 AM permalink
Monkey 7 and Dragon 7 are the exact same.

the other ones are kinda weird..but sure i guess
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
Joined: Dec 28, 2014
  • Threads: 48
  • Posts: 3093
May 1st, 2018 at 9:24:28 AM permalink
What is a monkey card?

It sounds like the game uses a special deck....
Venthus
Venthus
Joined: Dec 10, 2012
  • Threads: 23
  • Posts: 1100
Thanks for this post from:
miplet
May 1st, 2018 at 10:18:37 AM permalink
Actually, that's something I could use clarification on too. I recall hearing from somewhere (maybe a misinformed dream; I've been sleep-deprived lately which leads to all kinds of fun...) that it's just JQK and T doesn't count for the purposes of this.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1338
  • Posts: 22092
May 1st, 2018 at 10:39:15 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

What is a monkey card?

It sounds like the game uses a special deck....



I think so too. The Grand Monkey bet pays 5000 to 1 on "six monkeys." If any zero-point card were a monkey, which I thought was the vernacular, then the probability of winning would be combin(128,6)/combin(416,6) = 1 in 1,280. Player advantage of 291%.

These side bets look very countable.


As a hunch, I worked this out if only the face cards were Monkeys. Probability of winning of 1 in 7,489. House edge of 33.2%.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
Joined: Dec 28, 2014
  • Threads: 48
  • Posts: 3093
May 1st, 2018 at 11:07:07 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I think so too. The Grand Monkey bet pays 5000 to 1 on "six monkeys." If any zero-point card were a monkey, which I thought was the vernacular, then the probability of winning would be combin(128,6)/combin(416,6) = 1 in 1,280. Player advantage of 291%.

These side bets look very countable.


As a hunch, I worked this out if only the face cards were Monkeys. Probability of winning of 1 in 7,489. House edge of 33.2%.


Upon further research, I think a Monkey card is a face card or a 10
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1338
  • Posts: 22092
May 1st, 2018 at 11:11:00 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Upon further research, I think a Monkey card is a face card or a 10



Can you expand upon the research you did? As I just wrote, the player (person playing the game, not the bet) would have a 291% advantage if this were true.

Here is my analysis of the other bets assuming Monkeys are J-K only:

Monkey Tie: house edge of 12.3%
Monkey 6: house edge of 23.1%

These house edges also fall in the normal range for side bets, although the Monkey 6 is rather high.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
Joined: Dec 28, 2014
  • Threads: 48
  • Posts: 3093
May 1st, 2018 at 12:16:15 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Can you expand upon the research you did? As I just wrote, the player (person playing the game, not the bet) would have a 291% advantage if this were true.


Sorry I think you are correct - I was on mobile and not reading carefully.
jopke
jopke
Joined: Aug 14, 2012
  • Threads: 5
  • Posts: 132
May 1st, 2018 at 4:02:52 PM permalink
Monkey is face card only, 10 doesn't count as a monkey.

Also, the 5000:1 bet has a min/max of $1.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1338
  • Posts: 22092
May 1st, 2018 at 4:13:18 PM permalink
Quote: jopke

Monkey is face card only, 10 doesn't count as a monkey.

Also, the 5000:1 bet has a min/max of $1.



Thanks!
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.

  • Jump to: