Riva
Riva
  • Threads: 73
May 27th, 2015 at 10:57:44 AM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

I get all that, but I thought you had reported a few weeks ago that the new law forbid paying ANY of the gaming staff.

The bill has not been signed into law as yet. So, were still operating under the old emergency regulations put in force last July. These allow for a charity to hire dealers along with your own volunteers. At issue here is that the state added even MORE regulations to the background check requiring a photo ID and nobody knew the regulation even existed until 4 days before our event. That forced us to hire dealers otherwise we would have empty tables.
Riva
Riva
May 27th, 2015 at 11:06:03 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

If that we're the case, none of the charity poker rooms would be open here. To some of those dealers, it's their only income. And that was a max of $50 a night. I don't know what the max is now.

No, the new law, if signed into law, states that if you are your own location (we are), own 100% of your own equipment (we do) and are staffed 100% by volunteers (we will be) then, you can leverage the $15,000 per day in chips sales in any manner over the number of days of the event.

In our case, we have a 4-day event. Currently, over the 4 days, we cannot sell more than $15,000 in chip on any given day. This hurts us because on Friday and Saturday, we could easily sell $20,000 -$25,000 in chips per night. The new law would allow us to do just that, leaving us with say, $10,000 to $15,000 to sell over Sunday and Monday, which happen to be very slow days for us. For example, last Monday, we only sold $8,000 in chips.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
May 27th, 2015 at 11:12:18 AM permalink
Quote: Riva

No, the new law, if signed into law, states that if you are your own location (we are), own 100% of your own equipment (we do) and are staffed 100% by volunteers (we will be) then, you can leverage the $15,000 per day in chips sales in any manner over the number of days of the event.

In our case, we have a 4-day event. Currently, over the 4 days, we cannot sell more than $15,000 in chip on any given day. This hurts us because on Friday and Saturday, we could easily sell $20,000 -$25,000 in chips per night. The new law would allow us to do just that, leaving us with say, $10,000 to $15,000 to sell over Sunday and Monday, which happen to be very slow days for us. For example, last Monday, we only sold $8,000 in chips.

That part I get. It's how the poker dealers are at the poker rooms that I was questioning.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Riva
Riva
May 27th, 2015 at 11:37:39 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

That part I get. It's how the poker dealers are at the poker rooms that I was questioning.

The poker rooms and the dealer would not be effected by this new law (if it becomes law). That's because, as you know, the poker room itself is not owned by the charity and the dealers work for a licensed supplier. Because of that, they would still be limited to selling only $15,000 per day in chips. Conversely, since we own are own location, equipment and are staffed by volunteers, we can bundle the $15,000 per day in chip sales in any manner we want over the number of days of our event. So, if we had a 2-day event, we could conceivably sell $29,000 in chips on day #1 and $1,000 in chips on day #2. But again, you have to meet the qualifications I just detailed to have that privilege.

Basically what this does is to protect an organization that sponsors an event over a number of days, an opportunity to recover income lost from a bad weather day(s) where people stay home rather than come to the event.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
May 27th, 2015 at 11:38:57 AM permalink
Gotcha.
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
  • Threads: 53
May 27th, 2015 at 11:53:49 AM permalink
Quote: zoobrew

By your logic I should not lock my car or home doors because criminals can still break into my car/house even with locks. Criminal background checks will at least weed out the know criminals, who commit the majority of crimes.

I disagree with the idea of making it mandatory. Of course if we take more precautions we can prevent some negatives from happening but the precautions are not free. If the speed limit was 5 MPH on all roads we would save over 30,000 American lives that are lost in collisions each year. The costs of lowering the speed limit that much are tremendous though.

The point is that people like Riva who are running the event have their own money on the line ought to be allowed to make decisions like this and weigh the costs versus the risk. The idea that central planners in the state capitol or DC have the right answer, and that the right answer is the same for hundreds of millions of people, is crazy.
Vote for Nobody 2020!
Dieter
Dieter
  • Threads: 7
May 27th, 2015 at 12:46:02 PM permalink
Quote: Riva

we could conceivably sell $29,000 in chips on day #1 and $1,000 in chips on day #2

Do you need to set your daily limits in advance, or can you do it as you go?

So, for your 4 day event, you can sell up to $60k on day 1, only sell $12325, so you have up to $47675 available on day 2... etc?
May the cards fall in your favor.
Riva
Riva
May 27th, 2015 at 1:02:45 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Do you need to set your daily limits in advance, or can you do it as you go?

So, for your 4 day event, you can sell up to $60k on day 1, only sell $12325, so you have up to $47675 available on day 2... etc?

Short answer: yes. However, the bill that would permit this "special treatment" still must go through some more legislative votes before it becomes law.

Some charities that work only through poker rooms to raise money will bitch because they will want the same financial flexibility. To those groups I will tell them that they can enjoy these exact same privileges "if" they (1) conduct their event at their own location, (2) own their own equipment and (3) use 100% volunteer work force. Of course, they can't, or won't unless they make the same financial investment in charitable gaming that organizations like mine and others like mine that says you have more skin in the game than buying a $50 charitable gaming license from the State. We probably have $100,000 in equipment built up over the years. Literally tens of thousands of volunteer man-hours are donated at each event. To me, that makes us different.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
May 27th, 2015 at 2:15:08 PM permalink
Quote: zoobrew

I think it is crazy that people think criminal backgrounds checks are not necessary. All that cash and all those kids and you don't think trying to weed out criminals is necessary. Many school districts now require background checks on anyone involved in school events, even volunteers and at least locally the prevs still find a way into the schools.

Strange that they require a backround check on the volunteers but they have no problem letting the event steal from players.

Hi Riva, I couldn't resist. I have been gentle lately.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
May 27th, 2015 at 2:21:57 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Strange that they require a backround check on the volunteers but they have no problem letting the event steal from players.

Hi Riva, I couldn't resist. I have been gentle lately.

If they don't, the state will steal it from them somehow :-)

• Jump to: