OK, so I exagerrated.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
January 31st, 2011 at 7:10:01 AM permalink
Quote: Croupier

or so says Discovery

Living is bad for you. If you try it, no matter what else happens you'll wind up dead. :P

Quote:

OK, so I exagerrated.

Surely you did. But it's still no reason to also misppel ;)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
January 31st, 2011 at 7:45:04 AM permalink
Thought this was going to be a story about Ray Lewis....
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
January 31st, 2011 at 9:51:34 AM permalink
I have cardiac issues, and I'm a Steelers fan. Believe me, this is a real deal, and not a joking matter for me. I have to get real dispassionate about stuff sometimes. I ignore pre-game hype, because that only increases the emotional stakes. It's pretty simple: it's just a football game, and the sun rises every Monday morning regardless.

Like Duane Thomas said after MVPing the '70 Super Bowl: If it's such an important game, why is there another one next year?
A falling knife has no handle.
7outlineaway
7outlineaway
  • Threads: 9
January 31st, 2011 at 11:21:42 AM permalink
I guess the alternative is to live such that you have no interests or passions, or ever challenge yourself at anything, or participate in any sort of shared experience.
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
January 31st, 2011 at 11:33:30 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

I have cardiac issues, and I'm a Steelers fan. Believe me, this is a real deal, and not a joking matter for me.

My apologies Mosca. I never meant this to belittle peoples medical conditions. My apologies if I offended you.

I did have a point to go along with this post, but have not worded it correctly yet.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
Mosca
Mosca
January 31st, 2011 at 11:39:52 AM permalink

My apologies Mosca. I never meant this to belittle peoples medical conditions. My apologies if I offended you.

I did have a point to go along with this post, but have not worded it correctly yet.

Not a problem, I'm not offended at all, I understood the reasoning. It's OK for it to be a joking matter for everyone else, I don't care. But I can't joke about it when the game is on. I usually have a book handy, or my laptop, so I can distract myself if I have to.

There was a Steelers/Bengals game a couple years ago, 2008; Sunday or Monday nighter, a close game. I would up in the emergency room with irregular heartbeats. I hate when that happens. (Steelers won.)

Cardiac runs in the family. I had my first heart attack at 37. My brother died from a heart attack a couple years ago, he was 53. It's just the way things are.
Mosca
Mosca
January 31st, 2011 at 11:53:32 AM permalink
Quote: 7outlineaway

I guess the alternative is to live such that you have no interests or passions, or ever challenge yourself at anything, or participate in any sort of shared experience.

It's strange, but sometimes it feels that way. You just keep on keeping on sometimes. Normal ups and downs are not a big deal, but real ones, they can sting. When Jim died (see the post above), that was very, very hard. That hurt my soul deeply, we'd been through a lot together.

I had a huge problem with anger management after my heart attack, and I got panic attacks very easily. I had to learn to see the big picture, that how I felt about things had no bearing on what was actually going to happen, beyond what I could control. I tend to be reasonably serene now, which is pretty amazing considering what I do for a living (I'll never tell, but it's high pressure).

With sporting events, the challenge is not overinvesting in the results. You win, you lose, the sun rises and it's a new day.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
January 31st, 2011 at 11:58:51 AM permalink

I have cardiac issues

Due to the infamous "buck fever" which literally involves a significant increase in heart rate upon seeing game, this has
been a problem for hunters too.

BTW most common cause of death for hunters today is falling out of their tree stands. By far.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Nareed
Nareed
January 31st, 2011 at 12:13:22 PM permalink

I have cardiac issues, and I'm a Steelers fan.

My apologies, too. Especially for another thread where I went on and on about how I agonize when the Steelers play, and that crack about a cake-walk.
Mosca
Mosca
January 31st, 2011 at 1:09:10 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

My apologies, too. Especially for another thread where I went on and on about how I agonize when the Steelers play, and that crack about a cake-walk.

No problem, but really, don't sweat it! It was just something to talk about.

Me and Mrs were at the supermarket yesterday, I had my Steelers jacket on and I saw an older fella (in his 70s) with a nice Packers jacket, and we started joking, he said "good luck" and I said, "The same, as long as we make it through the game without a heart attack it's all good luck," and we both laughed and shook hands. So, I'm not sensitive about it, I've been living with it 20 years after all.
Nareed
Nareed
January 31st, 2011 at 2:18:12 PM permalink
Thank you. My complaints just seem frivolous in comparison. My dad had a heart attack some 20 odd yearsa go. It was scary.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
January 31st, 2011 at 4:19:12 PM permalink
The worst thing I find is a combination of things coinciding. Illness, emotional stress, not avoiding enough high cholesterol and salty foods, and over exertion. Even when I was in my 20s I felt sometimes all the wrong things were conspiring to finish me (my own fault of course). You don't generally know your blood pressure is up either. Throw in too much caffeine just to top things off. I think I understand sometimes why some people who seem otherwise healthy the day before can drop dead. Fortunately, I gave up the cigarettes.

high cholesterol and salty foods= often the superbowl menu
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Mosca
Mosca
January 31st, 2011 at 5:28:16 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

high cholesterol and salty foods= often the superbowl menu

Yeah, that's actually a big deal, too. We try to avoid overindulging, including alcohol; too much food draws blood to the digestive system. And if I drink more than one beer, my heart rhythm goes crazy.

Now, let it also be said that I don't take care of myself nearly as well as I should. But that's another story. And it's one that is part of why it's OK to make jokes about it. I get to choose.
pokerface
pokerface
  • Threads: 12
February 5th, 2011 at 1:52:56 PM permalink

or so says Discovery

OK, so I exagerrated.

I believe Super Bowl kills far more people than thru heart attack or junk food
winning streaks come and go, losing streak never ends.
  • Jump to: