Thread Rating:

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
March 12th, 2020 at 3:33:30 AM permalink
For those who have not heard, the NCAA has decided all tournament games will be "Empty Arena" games. Some family and friends allowed in, but in the end it is like a glorified practice game. While Pro Wrestling has the occasional "empty arena" match, we all know that is not a sport, even if it might affect the "show" of some wrestlers. MLB had an empty stadium game a few years back due to riots or something. And the joke going around here is that the Pirates have been playing to no fans for decades.

This is different. This is championship rounds. This is planned, The MLB empty n game was fairly last minute.

Without discussing if the coronavirus, and other than saying don't discuss it I am not, does this affect how you will bet the games?

An underdog making a run surely feeds off crowd energy. Players surely have to feel down not being onstage, that might hurt the small school payers who this is their one chance to play that big a venue. So it might mean take the chalk more than usual?

What say you?

And lets keep it about the line only.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
sabre
sabre
  • Threads: 3
March 12th, 2020 at 4:01:32 AM permalink
I think it's going to be a moot point, but don't tiered rows of uniform empty seats screw up depth perception? I'd think under might be the way to go.

What would be interesting is whether some arenas tarp off the empty seats behind the basket to eliminate this issue, while others don't.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 12th, 2020 at 4:11:23 AM permalink
Quote: sabre

I think it's going to be a moot point, but don't tiered rows of uniform empty seats screw up depth perception? I'd think under might be the way to go.

What would be interesting is whether some arenas tarp off the empty seats behind the basket to eliminate this issue, while others don't.

Good point. I honestly have no idea about its effect but interesting, never thought of it.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
March 12th, 2020 at 6:16:41 AM permalink
There are a number of possible impact that are difficult to quantify. Some things that I have thought about or heard from professional handicappers (assuming there are even games that are being played).

- In March Madness, do empty arenas hurt the large underdog? Often the neutral fans in an arena, that are there to support teams in a different game, will vocally get behind the underdog when they start fast, or are keeping it close late in the game.
- Depth perception on jump shots
- The players and more importantly the officials will be able to hear everything. Could this result in more technical fouls?
- The arena's will presumably be colder as there aren't the fans to generate heat, this could potentially impact fg%
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
March 12th, 2020 at 6:42:39 AM permalink
At the time of writing soccer (e.g. Premier League in the UK) have not made a unilateral decision whether to play behind closed doors. There's a report in The [London] Times that this will happen and UEFA are due to have a meeting next week to discuss Europe-wide matches. My feeling is eventually large gatherings will be stopped, however the issue is whether because people can then go and watch the games in pubs, whether that's a worse situation than just letting fans watch the match. Watch this space.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
March 12th, 2020 at 7:21:04 AM permalink
I expect the tournament will be cancelled.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
sabre
sabre
  • Threads: 3
March 12th, 2020 at 8:02:03 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I agree, but assuming they go on it's a unique situation that might provide some betting opportunities. I wonder if big underdog point spreads could have value. Heavy favorites with a big lead in the 4th might just sit on every possession in an empty arena.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
March 12th, 2020 at 9:50:04 AM permalink
All conference basketball tournaments are now cancelled - the ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12, have all just announced the cancellation of their tournaments, starting with today's games.

The NCAA BB tournament is probably the next shoe to fall. The NCAA itself gets almost $900 million in revenue from this - its not clear how the NCAA can survive if their BB tournament is cancelled.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
March 12th, 2020 at 10:04:55 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I agree with this.

When Rudy Gobert from the jazz tested positive , and then Donovan Mitchell did , (assuming one contracted it from the other) I had a feeling that would be it for team sporting events for a while.

But as of now, the big east tournament and the NHL seem to both be going on. Not much else.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
March 12th, 2020 at 10:08:31 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

All conference basketball tournaments are now cancelled - the ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12, have all just announced the cancellation of their tournaments, starting with today's games.

The NCAA BB tournament is probably the next shoe to fall. The NCAA itself gets almost $900 million in revenue from this - its not clear how the NCAA can survive if their BB tournament is cancelled.

In contrast the Big East tourney is playing a game right now. They are “still deciding” whether to cancel.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
billryan
billryan
March 12th, 2020 at 10:13:16 AM permalink
I imagine the NCAA and all the sports leagues have some sort of business interruption insurance, but this is an economic disaster that will reverberate for years.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 87
March 12th, 2020 at 10:21:59 AM permalink
What it's like to play big games in an empty arena? Siena knows.

Fascinating story of a college basketball team that played nine games in empty arenas because of a measles outbreak.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 12th, 2020 at 10:52:12 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Well the collapse of the NCAA would not be a bad thing.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
March 12th, 2020 at 1:23:35 PM permalink
These are good questions. I think I really don't know. I'd probably think underdogs gain advantage. Big schools used to fans, expect to win, small schools would expect to lose deep down. I'd think the favorites have a hard time taking it seriously like it's practice.
I am a robot.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
March 12th, 2020 at 2:01:29 PM permalink
NCAA has cancelled the tournament. NHL has suspended all games.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
March 12th, 2020 at 2:45:23 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

So it might mean take the chalk more than usual?

?????Huh???
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
March 12th, 2020 at 2:50:21 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

?????Huh???

Chalk means the favorite. From horse racing, the favorites had to keep being changed because everyone was betting on the horse. The odds were written in chalk, so that's where this comes from. You should know this. Was this not your question?
I am a robot.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
March 12th, 2020 at 3:13:23 PM permalink
With an empty arena, the home field advantage and the away team disadvantage should cancel out, so the odds and betting should remain the same.
unJon
unJon
March 12th, 2020 at 3:38:33 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

With an empty arena, the home field advantage and the away team disadvantage should cancel out, so the odds and betting should remain the same.

That doesn’t make any sense.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
March 12th, 2020 at 3:50:56 PM permalink

I maintain the home field advantage is mainly due to referee bias towards the home team. The refs will deny it vehemently, but sports is ultimately a business and fans pay more money to see a team that wins at home. The book Sportscasting was full of evidence of referee bias in multiple sports in favor of the home team.

That said, will the refs feel the same pressure to send the home-team fans home happy? I think not. It will make for a good Ask the Wizard question.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
March 12th, 2020 at 3:51:55 PM permalink

Makes no sense.

The home team advantage and the away team disadvantage are the same thing.

The lines in an empty arena would reflect that of a neutral site game.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 12th, 2020 at 4:19:03 PM permalink
Quote: michael99000

Makes no sense.

It does not matter anymore, but for discussion.

Home team is about more than fans. You sleep in your own bed. You go to your own locker room where you have more personal things than at an away game. You know the "feel" of the court/ice/turf. Your eating patterns have not changed. All of these things add up.

An empty arena takes out any potential fan bias. which should have balanced out in the NCAA Tourney, but we all know some teams travel better than others. The rest both sides mostly have to deal with, assuming travel time and time zone differences even out.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
March 12th, 2020 at 5:35:31 PM permalink
Home field advantage.

Baseball..... Batting last is an advantage.
Hockey.... Home team gets last change on faceoffs. Advantage.

I do not think there are any rules that favor home over road team in NFL or NBA.

I've played basketball in an empty NCAA Division 1 arena. No problem with depth perception. Home fans also attempt to distract opposing players possibly adding to a home court advantage.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
March 12th, 2020 at 6:08:42 PM permalink
Quote: michael99000

Makes no sense.

That's exactly what I was trying to say. You just restated my position. Guess I wasn't clear enough?
unJon
unJon
March 12th, 2020 at 6:49:10 PM permalink

That's exactly what I was trying to say. You just restated my position. Guess I wasn't clear enough?

Except the line would move. Because of course the line moves if the game moves from a home field to a neutral field.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
July 25th, 2020 at 4:43:02 AM permalink
Empty Arena/Park games are now a reality.

Wondering if anyone has watched MLB empty-park games so far and has any input as to if the lack of fans is affecting the games?

IMHO, baseball will be least affected as there are no audibles to call over loud fans. Baseball fans are usually just a few steps above golf fans as to what we can call "energy" in the regular season, so the effect should be minimal.

Thoughts?
DRich
DRich
July 25th, 2020 at 7:15:26 AM permalink

Empty Arena/Park games are now a reality.

Wondering if anyone has watched MLB empty-park games so far and has any input as to if the lack of fans is affecting the games?

IMHO, baseball will be least affected as there are no audibles to call over loud fans. Baseball fans are usually just a few steps above golf fans as to what we can call "energy" in the regular season, so the effect should be minimal.

Thoughts?

I haven't noticed any difference without fans in baseball. it seems the same to me.
billryan
billryan
July 25th, 2020 at 8:02:04 AM permalink
Home teams sleep in their own beds, eat wherever they normally do and do their normal routine.
Away teams sleep in hotels or travel on day games, eat room service or in unfamiliar places and are outside their routine.
An empty arena does not equate to a neutral site.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
July 25th, 2020 at 8:07:58 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Home teams sleep in their own beds, eat wherever they normally do and do their normal routine.
Away teams sleep in hotels or travel on day games, eat room service or in unfamiliar places and are outside their routine.
An empty arena does not equate to a neutral site.

I agree totally. Just curious how much weight should be given to no fans.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
July 25th, 2020 at 10:02:43 AM permalink

I agree totally. Just curious how much weight should be given to no fans.

I would give almost zero weight to that.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
  • Jump to: