3 votes (50%)
2 votes (33.33%)

6 members have voted

Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 123
February 11th, 2020 at 3:56:58 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

First, thanks for this Mission. We all love free-roll contests, no matter how mediocre we are at sports-casting.

For clarity, you will not be asking us to pick winners in the round of 64? Just winners in the round of 32 and later rounds before the round of 64 has begun?

You have some interesting scoring innovations, but I think that successfully picking the champion and perhaps the runner-up will almost always be necessary (and perhaps sufficient for a field this size) to be the contest winner because that scores points for you at each level of the bracket including the ones that are weighed the most heavily.

The list of 32 would consist of the winners of the Round of 64.
The list of sixteen would consist of the winners of the Round of 32.
The Elite Eight would consist of the winners of the Sweet Sixteen.

And, so on...Basically just like a regular bracket, except in list form.

I guess we will see on the champion and runner-up, but I might get some more input and modify the scoring system before entries have been made. I'm sure nobody will be making entries before Selection Sunday. I tend to agree and was actually originally going to rate those more heavily. I think I'll knock a little off of the flat scoring rounds.

***Changes have been made to reduce late round scoring.
Vultures can't be choosers.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 95
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
February 11th, 2020 at 4:01:49 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

6a.) PLAY-IN GAMES: Reminders will likely go out before play-in games have taken place. You can wait for those games before making picks if you wish, or pick them anyway.

Pardon me for posting this, but this is one of my "buttons."

The NCAA men's basketball tournament does not have "play-in games." A "play-in game" is a game where the winner is in the tournament and the loser is not. Also, when the NCAA did have play-in games in the past (right after the tournament expanded to 64 teams, I think), the winners were not put into the bracket in advance (i.e. they did not say, "The winner of this game will be the 16 seed in the East Region"). The NCAA considers all 68 teams to be "in the tournament."

Actually, there is some discussion of bringing actual play-in games back. I wouldn't be surprised if they do something similar to football's "Celebration Bowl" and have the MEAC and SWAC winners play each other, with the winner being put directly into the first round without having to go through Dayton. I think last year was the first time in decades where neither the MEAC nor the SWAC had a team in the round of 64.
Mission146
Mission146
February 11th, 2020 at 4:11:23 PM permalink
ThatDonGuy,

Thank you for that correction! I will amend my statement to, "After Selection Sunday, but before the full Round of 64 is known."
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 38
Mission146
February 11th, 2020 at 4:18:46 PM permalink
No need to make up funny team names when there are so many to choose form.

Akron Zips
Whittier Poets
Long Beach Dirtbags
University of Evansville Purple Aces
Evergreen State College Geoducks
Williams College Purple Cows
Campbell Fighting Camels
South Dakota School of Mines HardRockers
U. of Idaho Vandals
U. of Missouri-Kansas City Kangaroos
Washburn University Ichabods
California Irvine Anteaters
Trinity Christian College Trolls
North Carolina School of the Arts Fighting Pickles
U. of Calif- Santa Cruz Banana Slugs

AND

Rhode Island School of Design
- Nads (hockey)
- Balls (basketball)
- mascot is named Scrotie

Also, sometimes the name of the university is weird all on its own.
University of the Incarnate Word
Prairie View
Last edited by: gordonm888 on Feb 11, 2020
So many better men, a few of them friends, were dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things lived on, and so did I.
Mission146
Mission146
February 11th, 2020 at 4:25:03 PM permalink
Those are awesome! West Virginia Northern Community College was the Thundering Chickens!
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 38
Mission146
February 11th, 2020 at 5:18:07 PM permalink
Two more:

Grays Harbor College Chokers (Schools In Washington state seem to favor weird names.)

and, a team that played my Tennessee Vols basketball team within the past two years:

Presbyterian Blue Hose. Sounds like a Vegas act.

C'mon. How would you like your daughter to be recruited to play for the Blue Ho's? Or, as I'm sure some uncouth college kids call them: the "Blowing Ho's. "
So many better men, a few of them friends, were dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things lived on, and so did I.
Mission146
Mission146
February 12th, 2020 at 6:02:28 AM permalink
Greetings!

Please see the first post in this thread for the Free Roll rules if you have not:

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/sports/34302-ncaa-hoops-contest/#post757153

The results of last night's National Collegiate Athletic Association's basketball games that featured at least one ranked team are as follows:

Penn State Nittany Lions (13) 88 v. Purdue Boilermakers 76

--Led by Mike Watkins, who with 10 rebounds and 19 points, also had the best ratio of points scored to minutes on the wooden playing surface, the Nittany Lions easily overcame the Purdue Boilermakers in a basketball game.

Kentucky Wildcats (12) 78 v. Vanderbilt Commodores 64

--Tyrese Maxey provided his Wildcats with 25 points in this affair, however, he did not pass the ball terribly well as he recorded zero assists. It is well-known that Kentucky is a good basketball team. I know it's well-known because I know it, so for me to know this basketball fact, it must be pretty well-known.

Rhode Island Rams 67 v. Dayton Flyers (6) 81

--Obadiah Toppin for Dayton achieved 10 rebounds and 22 points, though he also failed to make an assist. Rhode Island has a very good record, so Rhode Island and Providence Farms are being well-represented and may also be represented in the NCAA Tournament as long as things do not go very badly the rest of the way. Rhode Island now has an 18-6 record.

Nebraska Cornhuskers 70 v. Maryland Terrapins (9) 72

--This was a surprising nailbiter considering the underwhelming 7-16 record that the huskers of corn had going into this game. Maryland jumped out to the expected commanding lead in the first half of last night's contest, but the Cornhuskers showed tremendous tenacity and almost made a surprise comeback. The leading scorer was Nebraska's Haanif Cheatham, who registered six rebounds and 20 points.

Michigan State Spartans 70 v. Illinois Fighting Illini (22) 69

--Rocket Watts put up 22 points for Sparty in this matchup, so whether or not this win will be sufficient to promote the Spartans to the Top 25 remains to be seen as they had a very similar record to the Fighting Illini going in.

Missouri Tigers 78 v. LSU Tigers (25) 82

--Skylar Mays had 5 boards, two assists and 23 points for the victors, so we here at WoV are very proud of him for not only scoring the most points, but also disseminating the spherical object to his teammates in a fashion that would eventually lead to points being scored. Not once, but twice.

New Mexico Lobos 59 v. San Diego State Aztecs (4) 82

--The Aztecs of San Diego State remain unbeaten in college basketball with a record of 25-0. They were led by Matt Mitchell with 12 rebounds, four assists and 22 points. We at WoV are extremely pleased with Mr. Mitchell's performance as it demonstrates not only an ability to grab the spherical object before other people grab it, not only an ability to effectuate the spherical object's successful passage through the circumferential ring, but also an ability to disseminate the spherical object amongst his compatriots in a manner and fashion that leads to additional points being scored.

It remains to be seen how the Aztecs will do against the top teams in the National Collegiate Athletic Association Tournament, because they have not played any top teams yet and will presumably not do so until then.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 15
February 18th, 2020 at 9:28:12 AM permalink
Thanks for this offer. I am interested in the free roll.

• Jump to: