bluefire
bluefire
  • Threads: 10
October 14th, 2010 at 8:33:23 PM permalink
Houston has a retractable roof, and Indy's new stadium is retractable. There's 4 retractable roofs (Dallas, Arizona, Indy, Houston) right now in the NFL.
avargov
avargov
  • Threads: 16
October 14th, 2010 at 9:23:53 PM permalink
I think another factor with weather is the field type. Natural surfaces can get 'chewed' up and muddy during the rain, while turf will remain intact. The amount of crown will move away more water.

I think the scoring dropoff during the latter half of the season would have more to do with player attrition and fewer meaningful games (teams being eliminated or wrapping up playoff spots) than the weather. Unless the weather is just miserable, but how often does that happen.

I believe I heard today that 44 different QB's have started games already. That has got to hurt point production.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 228
October 14th, 2010 at 11:21:06 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I thought about restricting the survey to just the cold weather cities with outdoor stadiums. However, if there were an effect, it should have been seen in the overall average.

Still, that isn't a bad idea. I don't know the domed status of every stadium. Can anybody help on that?

Atlanta
New Orleans
Indianapolis
Dallas
Houston
Minnesota
Detroit
Arizona
St. Louis

Here is an interesting article on the topic of domed teams having an advantage: from last year's WSJ
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 15th, 2010 at 10:08:57 AM permalink
Quote: avargov

I think the scoring dropoff during the latter half of the season would have more to do with player attrition and fewer meaningful games (teams being eliminated or wrapping up playoff spots) than the weather. Unless the weather is just miserable, but how often does that happen.

I believe I heard today that 44 different QB's have started games already. That has got to hurt point production.

There are so many factors that influence scores in football, that it's hard to pin down which is more important. I suppose each factor contributes something, positively or negatively, to game scores. The trick is quantifynig each.

As you say, late in the season injuries ahve accumulated, but players injured early in the season also come back (sometimes). For some teams the game have no more meaning, but for others each game is do or die.

As to nasty weather, that can happen anytime. Some places ahve more rain in winter, but others experience rain more or less constantly (think Central Florida), or during the fall. Snow is rather rare, but it can have a huge effect ont he game (remember the snow-plow Miami at New England game?)

Or take the QB situation. Some teams juggle more QBs than a circus performer. The Steelers lost their top replacement due to injury, and the Bears the other week lost their starter and backup to concussions in the same game (and ten sacks to boot). Pittsburgh, I'm sure, will provide a clear example. They scored meagerly in their first four games, except against the Bucs (and Batch got lucky with two TDs). From next week on, their scoring will go up substantially as Roethlisberger takes control of the offense again. SImply put Dixon lacked experience, Batch lacked accuracy and Leftwich didn't play. Big Ben is a veteran, he can be dead accurate (remember The Catch in Superbowl XLIII to win the game) and now he can play.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal

• Jump to: