ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
February 7th, 2017 at 9:22:17 AM permalink
Maybe it's just me, but it seems to me that the following strategy is becoming more and more common in sports betting:

1. Bet on favorites (money line, not point spreads); parlay them if necessary

2. Press losses to the point where a subsequent win results in a net profit since the last win (i.e. Martingale)

3. When somebody questions your ability, respond with, "I won, didn't I?"

Is this a fairly common thing, or is it just a handful of people around football postseason that just make it look like it's reasonably popular?
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
February 7th, 2017 at 9:56:57 AM permalink
This is pretty common in not only sports betting but a lot of other betting as well... and well most of life I suppose.

Quote: ThatDonGuy

3. When somebody questions your ability, respond with, "I won, didn't I?"

This is a phrase that is uttered by many, in numerous fields of life. First one that comes to my mind (from my experiences) is Poker. If you've ever played poker, you have heard this phrase.

To do sports betting, handicapping, etc, (again in my experiences) I find that it takes a couple things:
1) A tremendous amount of raw data analytics on the players/teams/etc/etc/etc.
2) A very deep level of understanding of the sport/players/teams/etc/etc/etc as to determine growth and attempt to quantify the "X-Factor" of some athletes.

Both of these involve work. So that right there should tell you that 90% of the population is not going to do either. So what's easier? Bet the favorites and parlay/martingale your way to any profitable dollar amount and then claim you're the most brilliant person in the world for doing zero work but seeing a momentary monetary return.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
  • Jump to: