EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 20
October 11th, 2012 at 11:19:24 PM permalink
I'm currently writing an NFL Office Pool Calculator, in Excel, that automatically determine the winner of our weekly office pool.

It's pretty slick and I've already got it working fine.

I'm currently parsing the lives scores via this nfl.com website: http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/scorestrip/ss.xml

My Excel program, at the click of a custom-made button, downloads the data from that website, and then parses it to determine the winner of each game. The spreadsheet then determines the winner of the pool, based upon the person who correctly picked the most winners.

However, that site above is just good for the CURRENT week's games. Does anyone know of a website for PAST NFL games, that doesn't have a shit-load of data to wade through?

To clarify, if you go to the above website and right-click (with most browsers) and choose VIEW SOURCE, you can see the actual source code. I have to download and parse that data.

If you then go to this website, also from nfl.com

http://www.nfl.com/scores/2012/REG1

and click VIEW SOURCE, you can see the difference. Yes, the scores from past NFL games are there (Week 1, in this case. /2012/REG2 would be week 2s games), but view the source code on this page... it's overkill. I don't wish to parse all of that.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
bchico
bchico
  • Threads: 1
October 23rd, 2012 at 7:47:16 PM permalink
EdCollins,

I've used in the past. Great little script but its Cold Fusion.

There are some links there that might be useful to you.

If you're able to, you mind sending me a copy of that spreadsheet? I'm always looking for new excel/vba sporting related files!
EdCollins
EdCollins
October 23rd, 2012 at 7:54:37 PM permalink
Hi bchico,

Thank you very much for responding. The truth is, I had forgotten all about this post of mine. Probably soon after I posted this question, I found two sites that worked for me.

I found this site, to get the live scores from:

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/scorestrip/ss.xml

And for past scores I'm parsing the data from this website:

http://www.repole.com/sun4cast/stats

(The exact URL from the above site depends upon the particular week the user is working on.)

My NFL office pool calculator is free for anyone who wants to see it or use it. You can download a copy of it from my website. The direct URL for that page is: http://www.edcollins.com/calculator
bchico
bchico
  • Threads: 1
October 23rd, 2012 at 10:32:30 PM permalink
Thanks for posting your website.

Since we're on the topic,helped me out huge when I was looking for historical data. Its a good bookmark to have.
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
November 13th, 2012 at 7:12:22 AM permalink
My domestic partner has been using Version 1.01 of Ed's NFL Office Pool Calculator at her office and it really rocks!!!

Kudos to Ed for a very nice programming job and thanx for sharing.

One critical observation: the Help tab has the following note:

"Important: When you enter the teams, you must enter them using the official abbreviation as used by the NFL. (ARI, ATL, BAL, BUF, CAR, CHI, CIN, CLE, DAL, DEN, DET, GB, HOU, IND, JAC, KC, MIA, MIN, NE, NO, NYG, NYJ, OAK, PHI, PIT, SD, SEA, SF, STL, TEN, TB, WAS.) Reason: The button that downloads the NFL scores from the NFL website uses these specific abbreviations to search for teams and scores."

In fact the score retieval will not work reliably as stated but the abbreviations needed to overcome that shortcoming are: Ari, Atl, Bal, Buf, Car, Chi, Cin, Cle, Dal, Den, Det, GB, Hou, Ind, Jac, KC, Mia, Min, NE, NO, NYG, NYJ, Oak, Phi, Pit, SD, Sea, SF, StL, Ten, TB and Was. This is the way they are listed in the NFL schedule tab, so it would be helpful to update the Help tab in the next update release.
EdCollins
EdCollins
November 13th, 2012 at 7:38:50 AM permalink
Quote: chickenman

My domestic partner has been using Version 1.01 of Ed's NFL Office Pool Calculator at her office and it really rocks!!!

Kudos to Ed for a very nice programming job and thanx for sharing.

One critical observation: the Help tab has the following note:

"Important: When you enter the teams, you must enter them using the official abbreviation as used by the NFL. (ARI, ATL, BAL, BUF, CAR, CHI, CIN, CLE, DAL, DEN, DET, GB, HOU, IND, JAC, KC, MIA, MIN, NE, NO, NYG, NYJ, OAK, PHI, PIT, SD, SEA, SF, STL, TEN, TB, WAS.) Reason: The button that downloads the NFL scores from the NFL website uses these specific abbreviations to search for teams and scores."

In fact the score retieval will not work reliably as stated but the abbreviations needed to overcome that shortcoming are: Ari, Atl, Bal, Buf, Car, Chi, Cin, Cle, Dal, Den, Det, GB, Hou, Ind, Jac, KC, Mia, Min, NE, NO, NYG, NYJ, Oak, Phi, Pit, SD, Sea, SF, StL, Ten, TB and Was. This is the way they are listed in the NFL schedule tab, so it would be helpful to update the Help tab in the next update release.

Wow, someone else is actually using my calculator? Really? Hey, thanks for letting me know. That makes me feel good.

Ah, you're probably right... uppercase might not work and so the help tab shouldn't indicate that. However, I can probably change it so that so either case is acceptable as input. I'll work on that later this week.

Note that with the TIE that occurred in this past weekend's games, I realized I needed to make an additional change or two. Version 1.02 is now the latest version, and the website explains the reason for the change, in the REVISIONS section.
chickenman
chickenman
November 13th, 2012 at 7:50:20 AM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

Wow, someone else is actually using my calculator? Really? Hey, thanks for letting me know. That makes me feel good.

Ah, you're probably right... uppercase might not work and so the help tab shouldn't indicate that. However, I can probably change it so that so either case is acceptable as input. I'll work on that later this week.

Note that with the TIE that occurred in this past weekend's games, I realized I needed to make an additional change or two. Version 1.02 is now the latest version, and the website explains the reason for the change, in the REVISIONS section.

Yes, I helped her earlier in the season with the basic setup as she's a technophobe and then scratched my head when the scores didn't come in completely but finally figured it out. Didn't look behind at the VB so don't know if it is the call to the url with case proper or what causes the glitch with retrieval.

Glad you feel good, it is quite robust and a job you should feel proud of.
EdCollins
EdCollins
November 13th, 2012 at 8:38:13 PM permalink
Chickenman,

Version 1.03 is now available. The user can enter the names of the teams in uppercase, lowercase, or any combination of. Example: ari, atL, bAl, DaL, DET, hOU are all acceptable. The program will convert and fix accordingly.

Also, the program now recognizes "gre" as Green Bay, "tam" as Tampa Bay, "San" as San Francisco, etc.

Thank you for pointing this out to me... the program is better now because of it.

Also thanks for not "giving up" on the program after your initial difficulties, and thanks for your kind words. I wish your partner much luck in her own office pool.

- Ed
chickenman
chickenman
November 14th, 2012 at 1:04:50 AM permalink
Ed,

Downloaded V1.02 yesterday and saw the update but appreciate quickly revving up to 1.03 which we'll use for Week 11 and beyond.
Good luck to you as well!!!

CM
jgreg311
jgreg311
  • Threads: 0
September 10th, 2013 at 9:54:04 AM permalink
I found this thread in a search for a data source to automatically parse out NFL scores, and it's been a big help.

I just wanted to mention a website I've built for simple NFL office pools. It's obviously a bit late if you're looking to start one, but here it is in case anyone is interested:

Free sign up and use!
  • Jump to: