buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
March 29th, 2012 at 11:14:57 AM permalink
Quote: slyther

P90 beat me to it. Shove that flop. Maybe you don't maximize, but that flop is draw-heavy for the villian's probable range of hands given that he opened then called a 3-bet preflop.

AMEN
FourFiveFace
FourFiveFace
  • Threads: 15
April 1st, 2012 at 9:42:22 PM permalink
I think I just got too excited about flopping a set and turned my focus to trapping him. I didn't slow down and think about the flush and straight possibilities, because I normally would bet in that situation.
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
April 2nd, 2012 at 4:15:52 AM permalink
Yeah. There's no need to be too trappy in tourneys, except very early on. The players are either waiting for an excuse to push their chips in, or treading lightly to outlast you and maybe sneak into the money. Not much in the middle.
If you remember Harrington's zones, in the red zone you shove any time you have either fold or showdown equity, in the orange zone you wait out to shove when you have both showdown and fold equity or near-nuts, in the yellow zone you wait to play hard with strong made hands or near-nuts. And only in the small green zone do you play with all the finesse and moderation of cash games.

If I was the other player, I would consider folding to a shove. Your preflop play was consistent with AK or TT. Too slow for QQ, could be it however, too fast for 99, but it is a tourney. It also fits AQ, in which case you'd be drawing to the same straight, so he had to charge you for drawing. His only guaranteed nut out would be another spade for 1/3 chance. With 18,000 in the pot, it would be a slightly +EV call for him, but he would be ruined if he lost. For all he knows you could have QJ, just defending your blinds, and then flopping a monster.
Most likely I would have called you, accounting for bluffing percentage, but folding is a viable option here as well, facing what looks like a strong made hand with draws to improve. A pre-flop raise followed by all-in also has a strong psychological effect, so players might fold without even doing all their math. Or if you were on the bubble, where survival is a concern.

This is one of the reasons not to slowplay kings, or really anything pre-flop, except against maniacs and in final head-to-head (any time you bet less than you're willing to risk given the odds, you're slowplaying).
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama

• Jump to: