DonPedro
DonPedro
  • Threads: 92
March 8th, 2012 at 5:25:04 PM permalink
Just starting w/ live limit/no limit and would like to play tournaments as well

Any suggestions ?
" If I had the money and the drinking capacity, I'd probably live at a blackjak table and let my life go to hell." Don Pedro
harryhood
harryhood
  • Threads: 1
March 9th, 2012 at 12:38:22 PM permalink
There used to be one called Texas Hold'em Academy Pro which was really good, but think it's gone.

Wilson is the only one left...

2+2 might be a better place to ask.
Triplell
Triplell
  • Threads: 9
March 11th, 2012 at 1:17:06 PM permalink
Without going into too much detail, I can offer a little advice for NL..(limit is a completely different breed of dog)...

1. Know the odds. It's all about trying your best to guess what the other player has, and knowing your odds of beating that hand.
2. Try to isolate yourself with 1 other player. If you can get as many people out as early as possible, the pot will be smaller, but you'll have a greater chance of winning.
3. It's not always about what you have, but more of what you can make your opponent think you have. Most players who flop top pair, will bet at it. If there is a flush or a straight draw on the board, I'll likely call if no one else does. Even if I have no draw, most people assume the worst, and will fold if I shove back against them.

Everything is situational. Sometimes people will catch on to your tactics, and they will call your bluff with mediocre hands. The only advice I can offer is to be aware of your opponenents body language. It's often pretty easy to see when someone thinks you're bluffing them.

The more you play, the more you'll learn.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
March 12th, 2012 at 9:04:50 AM permalink
" The more you play, the more you'll learn. "

Thank heaven for those who never learn. REALLY !
profbac
profbac
  • Threads: 4
June 12th, 2012 at 7:29:09 AM permalink
there are two that are pretty good.
Start with Wison Software. There limit holdem is a great way to practice especially if you are working from charts. I really liked the different games, ie loose passive, tight aggressive etc. Lets you experiment.

They have a tournament package which plays very tight.

The competitor is Aces Spades. There Tournament package is more advanced. The game moves from Tag to Hyper Lag with a few Maniacs.
The graphics are better with Wilson, but Ace is workable.

You can get started for about $100.
TheJacob
TheJacob
  • Threads: 3
June 15th, 2012 at 12:57:47 PM permalink
To the best of my knowledge no one really uses any "training" software other than SNGwiz.

Which has a training mode for push/fold poker. Even then I've spent a lot of time in SNG wiz and almost never use the training feature.
I just use it to make my shoving/calling range charts and memorize those.

I don't know enough about limit to know if people use training software for that or how useful it would be, but for NLHE where you are relatively deep(30BBs+) I can't imagine training software being too useful.

I'd recommend a training site and posting in a strategy forum as the best ways to learn. Short stacked poker can be much like video poker or BJ basic strategy. You just memorize things. Deeper though that isn't really the case. There are things you need to memorize, but a lot of the things you need to know are conceptual and you need to understand what you should and shouldn't do and more importantly why you should and shouldn't do those things.
  • Jump to: