PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 26
December 22nd, 2020 at 2:27:36 PM permalink
Reposting this here

Quote: USpapergames
1000-1 is ridiculous odds, poler has more luck in it even if there are 500k of hands in the challenge. Doug is a huge favorite, problem is that there are so many hands and we all know how good Negreanu is at adjusting to someone's game. Your right & Doug should have this in the bag but I fear if he loses this challenge it will be solely because of his arrogance & overconfidence :/

Just doing the math & how many hands have been played at 200-400 blinds, Doug should be up a lot more money but he's coasting since he's in the lead. When they played live Negreanu dominated badly on tv & that got Doug to take the game seriously and develop a high lead from being behind! Now that he has the lead he has a quarter of the determination to win :(

This whole post shows you know next to nothing about poker. Daniel played terrible during the live hands but got hit with the deck. He was atrocious getting value in basic spots and never went for the thin value. Dnegs has gotten much better as they play and he’s getting better at a faster rate than Polk is getting back in the groove of HU play. The problem for Dnegs is Polk is so far and away a better player that even as he closes the skill gap he is still way behind.

As far as the current standings. I haven’t looked at it in the last few days but Polk is running above ev currently so I’m not sure why you’re saying he should be up more. Btw Polk isn’t coasting he is putting in insane hours of study every day and has been openly very critical of his own play on Twitter. Also Polk had multiple millions on the line betting on himself with Bill Perkins as well as a few others. He has a ton to gain and more to lose as he bet with odds obviously.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
December 22nd, 2020 at 7:32:37 PM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

As far as the current standings. I haven’t looked at it in the last few days but Polk is running above ev currently so I’m not sure why you’re saying he should be up more. Btw Polk isn’t coasting he is putting in insane hours of study every day and has been openly very critical of his own play on Twitter. Also Polk had multiple millions on the line betting on himself with Bill Perkins as well as a few others. He has a ton to gain and more to lose as he bet with odds obviously.

I have probably watched about half of the 11,000 hands and Polk is definitely way ahead of expected heads up showdown EV. I think I have learned a lot about heads up poker and would love to play some. Obviously, not at the 200-400 level,
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
WTflush
WTflush
  • Threads: 1
December 22nd, 2020 at 8:49:01 PM permalink

Reposting this here

Quote: USpapergames
1000-1 is ridiculous odds, poler has more luck in it even if there are 500k of hands in the challenge. Doug is a huge favorite, problem is that there are so many hands and we all know how good Negreanu is at adjusting to someone's game. Your right & Doug should have this in the bag but I fear if he loses this challenge it will be solely because of his arrogance & overconfidence :/

Just doing the math & how many hands have been played at 200-400 blinds, Doug should be up a lot more money but he's coasting since he's in the lead. When they played live Negreanu dominated badly on tv & that got Doug to take the game seriously and develop a high lead from being behind! Now that he has the lead he has a quarter of the determination to win :(

This whole post shows you know next to nothing about poker. Daniel played terrible during the live hands but got hit with the deck. He was atrocious getting value in basic spots and never went for the thin value. Dnegs has gotten much better as they play and he’s getting better at a faster rate than Polk is getting back in the groove of HU play. The problem for Dnegs is Polk is so far and away a better player that even as he closes the skill gap he is still way behind.

I think someone on the forum needs to play this genius pro USPG heads up. ;)

Quote: DRich

I have probably watched about half of the 11,000 hands and Polk is definitely way ahead of expected heads up showdown EV. I think I have learned a lot about heads up poker and would love to play some. Obviously, not at the 200-400 level,

I'm a total fish and new to playing poker but if you want to battle HU on ignition or ACR for microstakes just for fun I'm in. I'd rather play a series of sit n goes but cash would be fun too.
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 55
December 23rd, 2020 at 8:44:16 AM permalink

I have probably watched about half of the 11,000 hands and ... I think I have learned a lot about heads up poker

I expect watching 11,000+ hands provides a great resource to improve one's poker skills.

Whether Negreanu wins or loses, I expect he will come away as one helluva great heads-up player, after playing so much with someone who may be the world's best HU player. IIRC Polk will (once again) retire from poker after the match finishes. A player's skills improve fastest when playing against stronger players, right?
DRich
DRich
December 23rd, 2020 at 8:49:17 AM permalink
Quote: WTflush

I'm a total fish and new to playing poker but if you want to battle HU on ignition or ACR for microstakes just for fun I'm in. I'd rather play a series of sit n goes but cash would be fun too.

Thanks for the offer but I wouldn't take it serious at microstakes. I probably wouldn't go any lower than $2-$5 with $200 buy ins. I just wouldn't stay interested. I would prefer a $5-$10 game with $400 buy ins.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
December 23rd, 2020 at 10:09:28 AM permalink
Quote: WTflush

Haha I would destroy him and I’m not in any way at the peak of my game.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
December 23rd, 2020 at 11:31:04 AM permalink

Haha I would destroy him and I’m not in any way at the peak of my game.

I think he is suspended now. Are you saying when he is back you are challenging USPAPER to a heads up poker game for real money?’!?!?
DRich
DRich
December 23rd, 2020 at 11:39:25 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I think he is suspended now. Are you saying when he is back you are challenging USPAPER to a heads up poker game for real money?’!?!?

If I am not mistaken I think he said he is very low o money so I don't see a poker game happening with him.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
December 23rd, 2020 at 12:52:35 PM permalink

Thanks for the offer but I wouldn't take it serious at microstakes. I probably wouldn't go any lower than $2-$5 with $200 buy ins. I just wouldn't stay interested. I would prefer a $5-$10 game with $400 buy ins.

Those are small buy ins relative to the blinds.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
DRich
DRich
December 23rd, 2020 at 1:47:19 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

Those are small buy ins relative to the blinds.

You are right the $5-$10 should be closer to $1000
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
December 23rd, 2020 at 8:46:56 PM permalink

If I am not mistaken I think he said he is very low o money so I don't see a poker game happening with him.

Honestly no offence to poker players as I was a pro for years but playing poker isn’t a good use of my time. I make way too much doing other gambling things to bother playing cards.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 24th, 2020 at 7:05:52 AM permalink

Honestly no offence to poker players as I was a pro for years but playing poker isn’t a good use of my time. I make way too much doing other gambling things to bother playing cards.

Many of your trip reports included poker reports, mostly positive. When you can travel again internationally, will you resume poker, or will you be able to use your other AP stuff internationally? Or will you be like someone like me who spends boatloads to see the world?
DRich
DRich
December 24th, 2020 at 7:10:23 AM permalink

I agree with you. The little poker that I play is more for recreation. I enjoy playing little $25 Sit-N-Go games. I probably play two a week.
linksjunkie
linksjunkie
  • Threads: 11
December 24th, 2020 at 8:12:18 AM permalink
12,222 hands completed.

Polk up 800k

Resuming 12/28.
Son you ain’t paying attention I’m cutting you but you ain’t bleeding - Foghorn Leghorn
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 24th, 2020 at 9:41:05 AM permalink
Quote: linksjunkie

12,222 hands completed.

Polk up 800k

Resuming 12/28.

So DN has an AVERAGE loss of nearly $70 a hand!!! What were the blinds again? Was there an ante as well?

No expert here... but to lose ON AVERAGE that much per hand seems like you are totally being dominated. Am I wrong?
linksjunkie
linksjunkie
  • Threads: 11
December 24th, 2020 at 12:36:42 PM permalink
Blinds $200/$400 I believe. No ante

Wish I would have listened to poker grnder’s opinion early in discussion.

Got a little down on Polk but wishing it was more!!

Merry Christmas everyone
Son you ain’t paying attention I’m cutting you but you ain’t bleeding - Foghorn Leghorn
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
Thanked by
WTflush
December 24th, 2020 at 12:56:14 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Many of your trip reports included poker reports, mostly positive. When you can travel again internationally, will you resume poker, or will you be able to use your other AP stuff internationally? Or will you be like someone like me who spends boatloads to see the world?

No, I’ll never play any real volume of poker again in my life. I don’t actually enjoy the game much anymore. I’m in the USA right doing AP stuff, won’t play any poker most likely. It doesn’t matter that I have a ton more money than I used to I’ll stick backpack cheaply around the world cause I enjoy that style of travelling.
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 639
February 10th, 2021 at 7:59:09 AM permalink
Poker Pro Doug Polk Wins High-Stakes Grudge Match And $1.2 Million From Daniel Negreanu
https://www.cardplayer.com/poker-news/25670-poker-pro-doug-polk-wins-grudge-match-1-2-million-from-daniel-negreanu

25,000-Hand Challenge Wrapped Up Wednesday Evening With A Marathon Session And A Six-Figure Win For Polk.
one of those hands:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFA0gB7mvZo

Polk won an avg of $48 per hand.
What stakes were they playing at? (so i can calc polk's bb/100 rate)

does that amount Polk won exceed expectations?

im thinking $1.2M isnt a life changing amount for either of these 2 guys
Last edited by: 100xOdds on Feb 10, 2021
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
DRich
DRich
February 10th, 2021 at 8:18:47 AM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

Poker Pro Doug Polk Wins High-Stakes Grudge Match And $1.2 Million From Daniel Negreanu
https://www.cardplayer.com/poker-news/25670-poker-pro-doug-polk-wins-grudge-match-1-2-million-from-daniel-negreanu

25,000-Hand Challenge Wrapped Up Wednesday Evening With A Marathon Session And A Six-Figure Win For Polk.
one of those hands:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFA0gB7mvZo

Polk won an avg of $48 per hand.
What stakes were they playing at? (so i can calc polk's bb/100 rate)

does that amount exceed expectations?

im thinking $1.2M isnt a life changing amount for either of these 2 guys

It was $200/$400 NL
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 55
February 10th, 2021 at 12:54:28 PM permalink

... I was a pro for years ...

Both you and Doug Polk appear to agree that you can each put poker in your rear-view mirror. But, I have a question about Daniel.

With Polk no longer playing poker, has Daniel gained any ability to play heads-up better now than before the contest?

I expect Daniel may be one of the most experienced heads up players in the game today. I think he's savvy enough to use the contest as a laboratory to test various bet strategies, etc. AFAIK, Daniel continues to play poker professionally. I guess we will see if his future performance improves.
  • Jump to: