MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
April 10th, 2016 at 11:14:47 AM permalink
Quote: AceCrAAckers

Stud is a game that requires most memorization and hence most skill.

Yes, and as a result, there is a much larger gap between good and bad players in stud than in hold'em. Any schmoe can catch a lucky run and win a hold'em tournament. That's virtually impossible in stud.

Games with big skill gaps between good and bad players do not last very long in an environment that relies on having far more players than just the really good ones, unless you can create enough of an audience to make it a spectator sport. There are probably more people watching kids play DOTA2 than pros play poker these days.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Zer0
Zer0
  • Threads: 36
April 10th, 2016 at 8:34:28 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

There are probably more people watching kids play DOTA2 than pros play poker these days.

Hell I can't say I blame them, I remember at e3 2 years ago me and my friends were watching the Super Smash Bros tournament and that was a hell of a lot more exciting than WPT/WSOP. Either way, I still say Stud > Omaha because my cards are all mine, I caught a straight flush playing 2-6 and I'll tell you what, having those 5 cards all in my hand and mine alone, that's an awesome feeling and I've gotten quads in holdem and even gotten a couple hundred in jackpots but it's just not the same experience as getting a big hand like that when all 7 cards are all yours. I just wish I could get a jackpot out of that but I can see why they wouldn't wanna do it like that.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
April 10th, 2016 at 10:41:19 PM permalink

Yes, and as a result, there is a much larger gap between good and bad players in stud than in hold'em. Any schmoe can catch a lucky run and win a hold'em tournament. That's virtually impossible in stud.

Games with big skill gaps between good and bad players do not last very long in an environment that relies on having far more players than just the really good ones, unless you can create enough of an audience to make it a spectator sport. There are probably more people watching kids play DOTA2 than pros play poker these days.

I watched "Heroes of the Dorm" tonight on ESPN2. I'm still pretty confused by the game...
MrGoldenSun
MrGoldenSun
  • Threads: 3
April 11th, 2016 at 7:34:55 AM permalink

Games with big skill gaps between good and bad players do not last very long in an environment that relies on having far more players than just the really good ones, unless you can create enough of an audience to make it a spectator sport.

This is true and the "spectator sport" aspect is actually how no-limit holdem became more popular than limit. No-limit is so much better on TV, and for many people it's more fun as well, but the bad players go broke much more quickly than in limit.
Zer0
Zer0
  • Threads: 36
April 11th, 2016 at 9:38:44 AM permalink
Quote: MrGoldenSun

This is true and the "spectator sport" aspect is actually how no-limit holdem became more popular than limit. No-limit is so much better on TV, and for many people it's more fun as well, but the bad players go broke much more quickly than in limit.

And even if you are a decent player it's still really easy to screw up and go broke in a NL cash game, which is why I only do tournanents and 3-6;limit

• Jump to: