Zer0
Zer0
  • Threads: 36
September 12th, 2015 at 1:32:39 PM permalink
Yeah like the problem was this dude had 300 bucks and I only had 100 and I didn't want to risk 7 bucks on like J-5 or something. If I have a hand like J-5 on BB, I'm going to fold to a raise but if nobody raises, I get to see the flop because I'm forced to pay the blind, that's the point of how the blind is supposed to work; as a trade off to having to pay it, you get to see the flop unless somebody signals that they have a stronger hand than you by raising, and if somebody tries to steal your blind when you have AA or something, they likely just gave you free money. To be able to pay to steal the blind without working for it and get the advantage of "they could have anything" that BB has is broken as hell.

Edit: I will say I am happy knowing I made the right move, I'm trying to sharpen my skills so I think it's good that I figured out the shit he was trying to pull and made an aggressive action to get him on it and I picked a good time to do it, he got lucky this time but now at least I know if I keep playing like that I'll get the next person that pulls that crap. It just sucks this happened when I had 100 dollars cash and not a 50 dollar tourney like I usually do.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
September 12th, 2015 at 4:08:35 PM permalink
You talk about the odds of him making his hand. Without knowing pot and stack sizes it sounds like he was the best player at the table. No limit is about implied odds more than true.
Zer0
Zer0
  • Threads: 36
September 12th, 2015 at 10:00:17 PM permalink
I guess he did have a gut shot straight flush draw on the flop, but come the turn, the implied odds are 9/46 of catching a flush on the river or 4/46 for a straight, 5 of hearts would have gotten him SF, so he had a 12/46 total chance of getting something, assuming I had a pair that could beat 6's or 7's, if he didn't catch those on the river, he was dead meat. The true odds were actually BETTER than the implied odds, which is a 74% chance he's dead.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
September 13th, 2015 at 12:51:41 AM permalink
So using your math he had a 1 in 4 chance of stacking you. How much with your all in did he have to pay to see the river? How much was the pot total? Was he advertising for future victims? Implied odds in NLHE are not fixed, they are variable depending on player tendencies and stack sizes. NLHE is art while LHE is science. You need to chuck out science when playing NLHE.

• Jump to: