23 members have voted

Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 32
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
July 1st, 2021 at 3:23:36 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I think the gaming business here prefers to not have to compete with the government. Such requests tend to go their way.

That makes sense.

Quote: Mission146

You missed Hawaii, though they are considering it. As of right now, the state has NO legal form of gambling---joining only Utah in that respect.

I honestly did not know about Hawaii. For some reason those are the four that I had in my head based on a recent discussion. I know virtually nothing about Hawaii politics or religious pressures there (and its also, I think, the only State that I have never personally been to) so I can't speculate as to why it would be banned there.
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 202
Mission146
July 1st, 2021 at 3:37:44 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

That makes sense.

I honestly did not know about Hawaii. For some reason those are the four that I had in my head based on a recent discussion. I know virtually nothing about Hawaii politics or religious pressures there (and its also, I think, the only State that I have never personally been to) so I can't speculate as to why it would be banned there.

This is history, not politics.
Hawaii was an independent country that one day woke up to find its Queen overthrown and that it was now a US Territory. A combination of American missionaries and shipping companies came together and established a new government and constitution, that gave the Christians an oversized presence that it took over a hundred years to minimize. Some Blue laws and the anti-gambling laws still remain from the era where Hawaiians were second-class citizens on their own islands.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Suited89
Suited89
  • Threads: 6
Mission146
July 12th, 2021 at 9:34:37 AM permalink
CT has had "Instant Tickets" for many years. At ctlottery.org you can check in upon the status of your favorite game. My best guesstimate is a 62-65% return... However CT has a rule that when all Jackpots are sold, the game ends. That can complicate things. I have seen early closures with many 50 for 1, 100 for 1, and even 200 for 1 remaining. A long time ago, I actually wrote a letter asking to lower the end-game to "when all 50 for 1's" are sold. That was a NO. If one buys a $10 tikky, $500 ain't too shabby. CT range is $1 to $30, Fairfield County (NYC suburb) does MUCHO bizz.
some people need to reimagine their thinking
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 132
July 12th, 2021 at 9:47:23 AM permalink
Quote: Suited89

CT has had "Instant Tickets" for many years. At ctlottery.org you can check in upon the status of your favorite game. My best guesstimate is a 62-65% return... However CT has a rule that when all Jackpots are sold, the game ends. That can complicate things. I have seen early closures with many 50 for 1, 100 for 1, and even 200 for 1 remaining. A long time ago, I actually wrote a letter asking to lower the end-game to "when all 50 for 1's" are sold. That was a NO. If one buys a $10 tikky, $500 ain't too shabby. CT range is $1 to $30, Fairfield County (NYC suburb) does MUCHO bizz.

That's interesting.

In my study, of lotteries to separate Instant Ticket Sales/Prizes in their Annual Report for 2019, I found that Connecticut has an Instant Ticket return percentage average of just north of 70%, which puts it in the top third of states. It occurs to me that this might have something to do with it now, although, it also occurs to me that the Connecticut Lottery could also gimmick a game so that the jackpot tickets (at least one) are going to come out late...and that will happen naturally pretty often, even if not.

Also, given the median income of Connecticut, I would think that a greater percentage of Instant Ticket sales are in the higher denominations, which have a higher percentage return, and would correlate then to the overall Instant Ticket return of the state being above average, such as it is. That would likely be even more of a factor.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219

• Jump to: