Thread Rating:

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 75
December 15th, 2020 at 5:25:10 PM permalink
Wizard, have you read Olaf Vancura's book on Yahtzee?
Living longer does not always infer +EV
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1367
December 15th, 2020 at 8:26:11 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Wizard, have you read Olaf Vancura's book on Yahtzee?

I have it, but only skimmed it. As I recall, it seemed more academic than strategic.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 179
December 18th, 2020 at 3:50:39 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I've been playing quite a bit of Yahtzee online. I still haven't seen any WoV members in the player pool.

New high score today!

My daughter laid a 502 on me today. What stunk was I had a 313.
NO KILL I
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
Thanks for this post from:
IndyJeffrey
December 23rd, 2020 at 10:17:11 PM permalink
Don't you hate it when people quit on you?!! In my first six turns I had two Yahtzees and a large straight. Then my opponent quit. No closure to the game. No opportunity to beat my high score of 498. I think whoever runs this game should give you the opportunity to finish it out alone.

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 109
December 24th, 2020 at 7:41:06 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Don't you hate it when people quit on you?!! In my first six turns I had two Yahtzees and a large straight. Then my opponent quit. No closure to the game. No opportunity to beat my high score of 498. I think whoever runs this game should give you the opportunity to finish it out alone.

I used to play bridge online on POGO.com. Everyone had a rating, and your rating would go up or down depending on whether you won or lost, and it took into account the rating of your partner and opponents. After a while my rating reached near the top. But then you would play the occasional opponent who would not quit or resign or finish, but would stall. So I would be stuck mid game unless I wanted to resign. You would make note of the scoundrel and never play with him/her again, but I eventually got frustrated enough that I donít play there anymore.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 35
December 24th, 2020 at 9:00:40 AM permalink
I sometimes play over at Board Game Arena. Each player there has a Reputation stat attached to their account. Things like stalling, quitting, abusive language, etc. may/will cause your Reputation to be lowered. In addition, you can filter available opponents based on their Reputation score so that you won't have to play someone with a Reputation below a certain threshold.

However, there are very few of the classic games there. They are more focused on newer games.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
December 24th, 2020 at 11:56:18 AM permalink
I should join one of these board game membership sites where members are held accountable for bad etiquette. Can anyone recommend one that emphasizes the classic games?
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 86
December 24th, 2020 at 1:53:05 PM permalink
We should arrange a time ahead of time to all get on at once and play each other
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
December 24th, 2020 at 7:08:33 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

We should arrange a time ahead of time to all get on at once and play each other

I agree. How about we try 7:00 PM PST and whoever shows up shows up shows up?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
December 24th, 2020 at 7:13:12 PM permalink
I just reread Advantage Yahtzee. It is better than I remembered.

Here is just one bit of advice. Let's say it's late in the game and you have to zero in a category due to a lousy hand. Here is the order you should do it in, from first to last.

1. Yahtzee
2. Four of a kind
3. Full house
4. Large straight
5. Three of a kind
6. Small straight

This was helpful. I previously would have zeroed in a large straight before a full house, but otherwise I think I had the order correct.

• Jump to: