Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1369
  • Posts: 22748
November 17th, 2020 at 9:23:52 AM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

I'm going for 24 for sixes in a heartbeat as it practically ensures you're going to get the 35 point bonus.



I'm not saying you're wrong, but often I have to put in a zero for a four of a kind. If you play the 4K, that's 29 points and you still have a lot of hope at the 35 bonus points. I think I achieve the bonus about 2/3 of the time.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
rsactuary
rsactuary
Joined: Sep 6, 2014
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 1797
November 17th, 2020 at 9:56:36 AM permalink
duplicate
Last edited by: rsactuary on Nov 17, 2020
rsactuary
rsactuary
Joined: Sep 6, 2014
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 1797
November 17th, 2020 at 9:56:36 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I'm not saying you're wrong, but often I have to put in a zero for a four of a kind. If you play the 4K, that's 29 points and you still have a lot of hope at the 35 bonus points. I think I achieve the bonus about 2/3 of the time.



I ran this through the optimal strategy link above and the top three results were as follows (assuming the first roll of a game):

Score 24 in Sixes 268.23±53
Score 29 in Four of a Kind 264.54±54
Score 29 in Three of a Kind 254.96±56 -- obviously no one is going to do this.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1369
  • Posts: 22748
November 17th, 2020 at 10:07:07 AM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

I ran this through the optimal strategy link above and the top three results were as follows (assuming the first roll of a game):

Score 24 in Sixes 268.23±53
Score 29 in Four of a Kind 264.54±54
Score 29 in Three of a Kind 254.96±56 -- obviously no one is going to do this.



Thanks. Good to know.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
gordonm888
gordonm888
Joined: Feb 18, 2015
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 2823
November 17th, 2020 at 2:30:23 PM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

I ran this through the optimal strategy link above and the top three results were as follows (assuming the first roll of a game):

Score 24 in Sixes 268.23±53
Score 29 in Four of a Kind 264.54±54
Score 29 in Three of a Kind 254.96±56 -- obviously no one is going to do this.




But I do think that the answer is different if it is late in the game and you roll 66665 and you still have SIXES and FOUR OF A KIND open and four or five rounds to go - especially if you only need 18 points in SIXES to get the 35 point bonus.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
Gialmere
Gialmere
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
  • Threads: 39
  • Posts: 1823
November 17th, 2020 at 5:32:50 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Ive been playing lately
cool game
Have it on my switch, part of a 50 game package of games
My strategy is to try to hit the straight and take ones or 2's or 3's when I dont because those dont score much anyway
Overall, seems whoever can hit a straight 1st will win.
You hit it early, you will score high
You hit it late, you will score low


Concerning straights, a few scenarios...

What would you do if...

1) It's your first turn and you roll a 2-2-4-5-6?

2) It's your first turn and you roll a 2-3-4-6-6?

3) You scored a full house on your first turn and the first roll of your second turn is 2-2-3-4-4?
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1369
  • Posts: 22748
November 17th, 2020 at 6:15:19 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Concerning straights, a few scenarios...

What would you do if...

1) It's your first turn and you roll a 2-2-4-5-6?

2) It's your first turn and you roll a 2-3-4-6-6?

3) You scored a full house on your first turn and the first roll of your second turn is 2-2-3-4-4?



I have no idea if this is right, but my hunch would be to...

1. Keep the 2-2. Second choice would be to keep the 2-4-5 and go for either straight.
2. Keep the 6-6 for sure.
3. Keep the 4-4

Anyone know where we can play Yahtzee against each other? There is a Facebook game that plays it, but it doesn't follow the proper rule on more than one Yahtzee.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
rsactuary
rsactuary
Joined: Sep 6, 2014
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 1797
November 17th, 2020 at 7:10:03 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Concerning straights, a few scenarios...

What would you do if...

1) It's your first turn and you roll a 2-2-4-5-6?

2) It's your first turn and you roll a 2-3-4-6-6?

3) You scored a full house on your first turn and the first roll of your second turn is 2-2-3-4-4?



According to the optimizer:

1) Keep 2 2 _ _ _ 250.56±59

Keep _ _ _ 5 _ 249.94±58

Keep _ _ 4 5 _ 249.89±58

Keep _ _ 4 _ _ 249.88±58

Keep 2 _ 4 5 _ 249.87±57

2) Keep _ _ _ 6 6 253.94±59

Keep _ _ 4 6 6 251.74±58 <--- interesting...

Keep _ 3 _ 6 6 251.71±58

Keep 2 _ _ 6 6 251.64±58

Keep 2 3 4 _ _ 250.42±58

3) Keep _ _ _ 4 4 251.54±56 (assumes full house is not available)

Keep 2 _ 3 4 _ 249.99±55

Keep _ _ 3 4 4 249.86±55

Keep 2 2 _ _ _ 249.67±56
DogHand
DogHand
Joined: Sep 24, 2011
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 422
November 17th, 2020 at 7:30:17 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I have no idea if this is right, but my hunch would be to...

1. Keep the 2-2. Second choice would be to keep the 2-4-5 and go for either straight.
2. Keep the 6-6 for sure.
3. Keep the 4-4

Anyone know where we can play Yahtzee against each other? There is a Facebook game that plays it, but it doesn't follow the proper rule on more than one Yahtzee.



Wizard,

Use the multiplayer option here:

https://cardgames.io/yahtzee/

Dog Hand
Gialmere
Gialmere
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
  • Threads: 39
  • Posts: 1823
November 18th, 2020 at 7:37:41 PM permalink
What if, instead of a 2-3-4-6-6, you roll a 1-1-3-4-5 to begin your first turn.

I'm just wondering if there is any first turn, first roll scenario where going for the (non pat) straight becomes optimal.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.

  • Jump to: