No votes (0%)
4 votes (44.44%)

9 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
January 15th, 2020 at 8:27:22 PM permalink
Please have a look at my new video on Mississippi Stud.

I welcome all comments. Please keep in mind I'm not making a Ken Burns documentary, so go easy on me.

The question for the poll is what do you think of the video overall?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
January 15th, 2020 at 10:34:30 PM permalink
Good video... length might be a bit long. There are metrics I'm sure you can look up, but the average YouTube video is 10 minutes I think. I think that's their statistical "sweet spot" for viewers. I did see that you mentioned the "warn on error" button, but did you show it working? Apologies if I missed it I did try to skip from hand to hand because I'm exhausted but wanted to give you some feedback. That is the ticket in all of your free to play games to drive traffic and repeat traffic as people learn the games, in my opinion.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
January 15th, 2020 at 10:53:45 PM permalink
Quote: Romes

Good video... length might be a bit long.

Agreed, and you could also paraphrase this comment into a one line review of MS itself: A good game... length between wins might be a bit long.

Speaking of long, few will appreciate the tedium The Wizard must have endured playing God knows how many random hands in order to come up with all those "special case" examples.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 15th, 2020 at 11:00:25 PM permalink
Quote: Romes

Good video... length might be a bit long. There are metrics I'm sure you can look up, but the average YouTube video is 10 minutes I think. I think that's their statistical "sweet spot" for viewers. I did see that you mentioned the "warn on error" button, but did you show it working? Apologies if I missed it I did try to skip from hand to hand because I'm exhausted but wanted to give you some feedback. That is the ticket in all of your free to play games to drive traffic and repeat traffic as people learn the games, in my opinion.

Thank you. I didn't intended for it to go that long. You should see all the footage that didn't go into it. By the time the dust settled, it was as long as it was. I'll try to keep the next one to 15 minutes, except pai gow tiles, that will be a tough one to keep short.

I did scroll up to show the checkbox, but it's not very clear. When a mistake is made, the pop-up warning box is outside the field of the game box and I couldn't scroll until I clicked to close the box.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 15th, 2020 at 11:02:36 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Speaking of long, few will appreciate the tedium The Wizard must have endured playing God knows how many random hands in order to come up with all those "special case" examples.

Thank you for feeling my pain! I played and narrated at least an hour of counting points hands. One reason the video is as long as it is are the numerous exceptions to the counting outs rules.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 17th, 2020 at 4:21:01 PM permalink
Here is version 2. I redid the ending and cut out some hands that I felt were redundant. The time is town to 17.5 minutes.

I welcome all comments.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
January 18th, 2020 at 6:43:47 AM permalink
This version is really good. The streamlining gives it a much more polished feel. You should probably stick a fork in it and declare it official. If, however, you do decide to make a version 3...

I don't know how much control you have over this, but your new microphone seems to have a lower recording level than the old one. I typically watch these on my cellphone. Whereas I could hear the UTH videos (with the old mic) anywhere, I have trouble hearing the MS ones (with the new mic) at any location louder than a quiet room.

You might consider re-emphasizing the strategy math logic on occasion, especially for special cases. For example, although it's very unlikely that a 3-to-a-royal will hit, it's important to make the 3x raise on 4th street since the potential payoff is so huge. It's these somewhat nonintuitive plays that make the game's EOR so low.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 18th, 2020 at 7:40:23 AM permalink
Thanks for the comments and compliments! The next video I'll see if I can control the volume. If not, I'll just talk louder. Given time constraints, I'm not sure there is enough of it to get into why a play is made. For example, with three to a royal, there is still only a 1 in 1176 chance of making it after 3 cards. If I give sound bite reasons, I'm afraid players will apply them incorrectly in other games and situations. It's simply a matter of EV and that is a matter of looping through all the ways the cards can fall after the decision is made.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
January 18th, 2020 at 11:50:06 AM permalink
At 16:50 you explain that the player should expect to lose $4.91 for every $100 wagered, and then say that should not be confused with the house edge, while the accompanying text says that the house edge is 4.91%. As a long time follower of WoO I knew where you were going, but the transition to the concept of element of risk needs to be clearer, misstatement notwithstanding.
A falling knife has no handle.
DogHand
DogHand
  • Threads: 2
January 18th, 2020 at 12:15:11 PM permalink
Wiz,

Very good video!

One comment: when you begin "cherry-picking", your very first example (at about 9:35 or so) shows a pair of fives as the first two cards, but you say, "So here again we have a small pair after two cards, so you bet the 3x..." However, you had not previously shown a small pair as the start, nor has you mentioned that such a start calls for a 3x raise: maybe that part got edited out of this version. Perhaps you could excise the "again"?

Dog Hand
LAD
LAD
  • Threads: 21
January 22nd, 2020 at 9:15:29 AM permalink
Wiz,

Does your strategy for Mississippi Stud take into account that other players at the table might be holding cards that you need ?

Ex.....I'm dealt pair of deuces..strategy says to bet 3x..However two other players at the table are each holding a deuce..

Thanks

LAD
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 22nd, 2020 at 7:04:00 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

At 16:50 you explain that the player should expect to lose $4.91 for every $100 wagered, and then say that should not be confused with the house edge, while the accompanying text says that the house edge is 4.91%. As a long time follower of WoO I knew where you were going, but the transition to the concept of element of risk needs to be clearer, misstatement notwithstanding.

You're right, the 4.91% is the house edge. I blew it there. Once a video is "published" it can't be changed and I've taken to task for three different Ultimate videos. I left a correction in the description of the video.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 22nd, 2020 at 7:04:32 PM permalink
Quote: LAD

Wiz,

Does your strategy for Mississippi Stud take into account that other players at the table might be holding cards that you need ?

Ex.....I'm dealt pair of deuces..strategy says to bet 3x..However two other players at the table are each holding a deuce..

No. Go to Discount Gambling if you want that strategy.
  • Jump to: