MightyOne
MightyOne
  • Threads: 5
September 9th, 2010 at 8:05:22 PM permalink
I botched my last thread by misspelling the name of the game and my description of the game was haphazard.

I sat down, gathered my thoughts, and hopefully this time I present the game in a way that is comprehensible.

How to play the Michigan (only in Michigan as far as I know) game of Wanton

The game of Wanton is a five card variation of Badugi in which four cards form a Badugi
and the 5th card, a counterfeit card, is the highest card; this hand is called a Wanton.

This is how Badugi is played: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badugi
The easiest way to understand which cards are counterfeit is to ask yourself which cards
can be used to create the lowest possible hand without pairs or same suited cards.

A♦, 2♠, 3♥. 4♣ is a Badugi
A♦, 2♠, 3♥. 4♣, 5♦ is a A♦, 2♠, 3♥, 4♣ Wanton.
The counterfeit, the 5♦, is the highest card or it is NOT a Wanton but a losing hand.

When a player has a losing hand, all of his cards are counterfeit and this means that two hands
that are not Wantons are equal and therefore the pot is split (or left for the next round).

The card that matches the suit of the 5th card is called the "original" and any card to
the left of the original is also considered a counterfeit in a Wanton.

Hand A♠, 2♣, 3♥. 4♦, K♥ is composed of a Badugi with a high card counterfeit.
This hand is a 3♥, 4♦ as the A♠ & 2♣ are left of the original and the K♥ is counterfeit.

As in Badugi, the best 4 card Wanton wins the pot and a 4 card hand beats a 3 card hand and a 3
card hand beats a 2 card hand etc.

You can play the game limit, pot-limit, no-limit, or pay per counterfeit.

The game is played with an ante but you could have a small and big blind.

My personal preference is to play with ante & pay per counterfeit.

Enjoy =)
Yes I am a donkey, I never said that I wasn't!
  • Jump to: