Actuarial
Actuarial
  • Threads: 12
  • Posts: 105
Joined: Apr 23, 2014
Thanked by
Mission146
March 31st, 2023 at 9:26:48 AM permalink
Bob and Richard just announced on their podcast that they are ending the podcast in a few months. I'll definitely be sad to see it go since this podcast got me started in the AP world almost 10 years ago.

Is this the type of show that can continue with new hosts?
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 640
  • Posts: 4303
Joined: Feb 5, 2012
Thanked by
Mission146
March 31st, 2023 at 10:26:01 AM permalink
Quote: Actuarial

Bob and Richard just announced on their podcast that they are ending the podcast in a few months. I'll definitely be sad to see it go since this podcast got me started in the AP world almost 10 years ago.

Is this the type of show that can continue with new hosts?
link to original post

why are they leaving?

Wiz, take it over? :)
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 5551
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
Thanked by
Mission146
March 31st, 2023 at 10:34:12 AM permalink
Quote: Actuarial

Bob and Richard just announced on their podcast that they are ending the podcast in a few months. I'll definitely be sad to see it go since this podcast got me started in the AP world almost 10 years ago.

Is this the type of show that can continue with new hosts?
link to original post



It would be interesting with different hosts.
Who do you think could pull it off that doesn't already have a show?

Without Bob Dancer, I just don't think it would be GWAE.

(Preemptive: I am not volunteering, and I am decidedly not voluntellable.)
May the cards fall in your favor.
blackjacklad
blackjacklad
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 87
Joined: Dec 14, 2017
Thanked by
Mission146IndyJeffrey
March 31st, 2023 at 10:54:24 AM permalink
Sad times indeed, but all good things come to an end.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
  • Posts: 4790
Joined: Jun 15, 2018
Thanked by
Mission146
March 31st, 2023 at 11:21:59 AM permalink
I do listen to their show on YouTube occasionally. I will miss hearing it later on.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
  • Posts: 16832
Joined: May 15, 2012
March 31st, 2023 at 12:07:13 PM permalink
Is there a big enough hole there that the hole needs filling? I ask myself this.

I consider myself borderline passable at interviewing people.

Not to take over GWAE, of course. I just wonder if there is a big enough hole to fill with a substantially similar show. I also wonder if LCB would be interested in buying out the rights to GWAE.

If they did, I probably wouldn't even need any additional money to do the show. I could write companion articles, on occasion, based on the shows...so it would be almost the same as getting paid directly for doing the show.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
  • Posts: 3540
Joined: Dec 28, 2014
Thanked by
Mission146
March 31st, 2023 at 12:12:59 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Is there a big enough hole there that the hole needs filling? I ask myself this.

I consider myself borderline passable at interviewing people.

Not to take over GWAE, of course. I just wonder if there is a big enough hole to fill with a substantially similar show. I also wonder if LCB would be interested in buying out the rights to GWAE.

If they did, I probably wouldn't even need any additional money to do the show. I could write companion articles, on occasion, based on the shows...so it would be almost the same as getting paid directly for doing the show.
link to original post


There痴 about a billion sports betting podcasts. I知 sure there痴 a boatload of poker too.

I知 not sure there are many AP or even casino gambling podcasts.
Actuarial
Actuarial
  • Threads: 12
  • Posts: 105
Joined: Apr 23, 2014
Thanked by
Mission146blackjacklad
March 31st, 2023 at 12:51:11 PM permalink
The only other one that comes close is Risk of Ruin which is more of a documentary style rather than a live conversation.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
  • Posts: 26501
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
Thanked by
Mission146WTflushDieterIndyJeffrey
March 31st, 2023 at 1:21:42 PM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

why are they leaving?

Wiz, take it over? :)
link to original post



Wow! This is the first I've heard of this.

As to taking it over, I think not. I co-hosted the show for a while. It was a time drain and I made little revenue from it. My main motive was the additional publicity and secondly it was fun for a while. Between losing interest and being spread very thin, I mentioned to Bob I wanted to leave, but would wait for a suitable replacement. Fortunately, Munch was willing to come back, so my leaving was good for me and good for the show.

When the third edition of my book finally arrives I plan to make an appearance to discuss my revamped chapter on slots. It will be good to do the show one last time, assuming the offer still stands. Not only was I a co-host, but one of the most frequent guests as well.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11721
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
March 31st, 2023 at 2:07:38 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Is there a big enough hole there that the hole needs filling? I ask myself this.

I consider myself borderline passable at interviewing people.

Not to take over GWAE, of course. I just wonder if there is a big enough hole to fill with a substantially similar show. I also wonder if LCB would be interested in buying out the rights to GWAE.

If they did, I probably wouldn't even need any additional money to do the show. I could write companion articles, on occasion, based on the shows...so it would be almost the same as getting paid directly for doing the show.
link to original post



Just ask Terrence, he does a regular Poker podcast.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 207
  • Posts: 10992
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
March 31st, 2023 at 2:32:03 PM permalink
Any chance it痴 an early April Fool痴 joke?
I invented a few casino games. Info: http://www.DaveMillerGaming.com/ 覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧 Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22279
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
March 31st, 2023 at 2:46:09 PM permalink
Perhaps Frankie Kneeland can take back his show.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11721
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
March 31st, 2023 at 2:46:15 PM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

Any chance it痴 an early April Fool痴 joke?



I doubt it, they have been struggling the last couple of years. It is hard to find interesting guests every week. They should probably decrease it to once a month.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 5551
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
March 31st, 2023 at 2:58:24 PM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

Any chance it痴 an early April Fool痴 joke?
link to original post



I'm just hoping the archived episodes stay up.
I think they'll probably stay on YouTube indefinitely.


It would be really nice to hear some interviews with [list redacted] before the end, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
May the cards fall in your favor.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
  • Posts: 8158
Joined: Feb 13, 2010
March 31st, 2023 at 3:27:46 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

When the third edition of my book finally arrives.



Huh?

You wrote a book?
"What, me worry?"
IndyJeffrey
IndyJeffrey
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 441
Joined: Feb 10, 2013
April 1st, 2023 at 3:45:59 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

It is hard to find interesting guests every week. They should probably decrease it to once a month.
link to original post



I get that sense too -- that it is hard to get interesting guests on a weekly basis.

GWAE was very instrumental in motivating me to learn more about games and study them. I am certain this podcast "introduced" me to Wizard (from his hosting days) and this web site.

I will miss the show for certain. I wish all the hosts, past and present, well.
Sandybestdog
Sandybestdog
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 332
Joined: Feb 3, 2015
April 1st, 2023 at 10:17:17 AM permalink
Quote: Actuarial

The only other one that comes close is Risk of Ruin which is more of a documentary style rather than a live conversation.
link to original post

Risk of Ruin and Gamblers are very well made and excellent episodes. I think though they probably take a long time to make as the content is very high quality. David Hill travels with the guest for at least a couple days. I would imagine they would soon run out of quality content if they did more than one episode every couple months.
Sandybestdog
Sandybestdog
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 332
Joined: Feb 3, 2015
April 1st, 2023 at 10:27:36 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Quote: DJTeddyBear

Any chance it痴 an early April Fool痴 joke?
link to original post



I'm just hoping the archived episodes stay up.
I think they'll probably stay on YouTube indefinitely.


It would be really nice to hear some interviews with [list redacted] before the end, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
link to original post

Bob痴 website has every episode easily listed there. I wouldn稚 think he had any intention of taking the site down. I keep it bookmarked and when I run out of things to listen to I listen to old ones. I知 up to about episode 100 now. Some really great shows there. I often wait to listen to new episodes until I am sick of listening to everything else so I know I always have something great to listen to. There really is nothing that is on the same level. I知 really sick of every podcast being about Vegas or craps. Also the sports betting podcasts are just really boring, except Spanky of course. I think it just comes down to content. Eventually you just run out of good material. They really did a great job for these many years
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 5551
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
April 1st, 2023 at 12:02:52 PM permalink
Quote: Sandybestdog


Bob痴 website has every episode easily listed there. I wouldn稚 think he had any intention of taking the site down.
link to original post

(snip!)


One hopes, of course.
In my experience, AP's tend to be keenly aware of the precise moment the juice is no longer worth the squeeze.

edit: If you intend to download the library of past episodes, I suggest doing so before September.
Last edited by: Dieter on Apr 1, 2023
May the cards fall in your favor.
Mental
Mental
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 1293
Joined: Dec 10, 2018
April 1st, 2023 at 1:17:04 PM permalink
I have not listened to GWAE in years. I did enjoy the Bob Nersesian interviews and learned some things from Bob that I hope I never need to know. I don't enjoy the shows about degen gambling. I am bored by guests who I consider mere grifters, not true advantage players. I guess the greatest value I got was knowing which AP plays were getting exposed to a wide audience. Then I could focus on other things. Even though I am no longer a listener, GWAE suited my needs more than any other podcast I found.
This forum is more enjoyable after I learned how to use the 'Block this user' button.
TinMan
TinMan
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 448
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
April 2nd, 2023 at 9:08:04 AM permalink
Sad news but I can稚 say I blame them. They池e getting older and choose different ways to spend their time.

Weekly is way too often. I listen to plenty of podcasts that are 2x month. I think that痴 a lot easier.

I think the AP move is to sell off the rights to the show. Not sure what they could get but it seems fitting.
If anyone gives you 10,000 to 1 on anything, you take it. If John Mellencamp ever wins an Oscar, I am going to be a very rich dude.
blackjacklad
blackjacklad
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 87
Joined: Dec 14, 2017
April 2nd, 2023 at 11:08:40 AM permalink
With the wealth of interviews they've done a good writer could make a great film or series based on the podcast. Obviously most of the technical details of AP wouldn't appeal to a wider audience, but there are enough solid stories spanning different locations and eras, there's more than enough material to make something magical.
blackjacklad
blackjacklad
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 87
Joined: Dec 14, 2017
April 2nd, 2023 at 11:10:34 AM permalink
Something better than chatgpt can come up with (though I did find its attempt quite funny).

I asked 'Write a film script based on the podcast 'gambling with an edge'. This is what it spat out:

FADE IN:

EXT. LAS VEGAS STRIP - NIGHT

We see a bustling crowd of people walking up and down the Las Vegas Strip. The neon lights are bright and the energy is high.

CUT TO:

INT. CASINO - NIGHT

We see BOB DANCER and RICHARD MUNCHKIN sitting at a blackjack table. They are both dressed in suits and have serious expressions on their faces.

BOB DANCER
(to Richard)
Okay, the count is high. I'm going all in.

RICHARD MUNCHKIN
(nodding)
I'm with you.

They both place their bets and the dealer deals the cards. Bob and Richard both get 20, while the dealer gets a 17. They win big and collect their winnings.

CUT TO:

INT. RECORDING STUDIO - DAY

Bob and Richard are being interviewed for their podcast, "Gambling With an Edge."

BOB DANCER
(looking at the camera)
We've been gambling professionally for over 30 years. We've made a living playing blackjack, video poker, and other casino games.

RICHARD MUNCHKIN
(nodding)
Our podcast is all about sharing our experiences and strategies with our listeners. We want to help people become smarter gamblers and increase their chances of winning.

CUT TO:

INT. HOTEL ROOM - NIGHT

Bob and Richard are sitting in their hotel room, strategizing for their next game.

BOB DANCER
(pacing)
We need to be careful. The casino is onto us.

RICHARD MUNCHKIN
(sighing)
Yeah, I know. We need to switch up our routine and be more subtle.

They continue to plan and discuss their strategies.

CUT TO:

INT. CASINO - DAY

Bob and Richard are playing a game of video poker. They both have intense expressions on their faces as they carefully consider their moves.

CUT TO:

INT. RECORDING STUDIO - DAY

Bob and Richard are wrapping up their podcast.

BOB DANCER
(smiling)
Thanks for tuning in to "Gambling With an Edge." We hope you found our strategies helpful and that you'll join us again next week.

RICHARD MUNCHKIN
(nodding)
And remember, always gamble responsibly.

FADE OUT.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 5551
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
June 28th, 2023 at 9:10:59 AM permalink
New show seems to be launching:
Life is a Gamble


Anyone still subscribed to GWAE will likely hear the first episode soon.

Sounds interesting!
Best of luck.
May the cards fall in your favor.
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
  • Posts: 1863
Joined: Mar 28, 2012
Thanked by
Dieterblackjacklad
June 28th, 2023 at 9:28:53 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

New show seems to be launching:
Life is a Gamble


Anyone still subscribed to GWAE will likely hear the first episode soon.

Sounds interesting!
Best of luck.
link to original post





https://www.spreaker.com/user/7418966/lifeisagamble-1
  • Jump to: