36 votes (83.72%)
4 votes (9.3%)
3 votes (6.97%)

43 members have voted

dm
dm
  • Threads: 14
February 10th, 2011 at 9:34:29 AM permalink
Actually, but based on limited experience, I've never had anyone else surrender at my table.
soulhunt79
soulhunt79
  • Threads: 6
February 10th, 2011 at 10:08:21 AM permalink
Quote: weaselman

Why even bother to play the strategy if you are going to circumvent it because of your mental blocks or because somebody may decide that you are a wuss? :)
If the strategy says surrender, of course, you surrender.

Many people don't view it as black and white. While I'm sure some can remove all emotion from any gambling for most people I'm guessing it plays a large role. Just the act of knowing you lost the bet feels bad to some people. Especially when the dealer flips over their card and busts.

Even playing 95% of basic strategy gets anyone much better than most random people that just sit down on the table. I tend to double/split on things that BS tells me not to. However when I look at the odds, doubleing on some questionable ones makes me lose .05% I believe off the total odds of BS. For those 5-6 hands that I can double, I believe I'm having more fun and that is the whole point of me sitting on a table in the first place. :)

Oh and the poll is missing my option. :) I surrender on 16 vs 10, 16 vs 9, and rarely anything else.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 111
February 12th, 2011 at 8:31:21 PM permalink
Wow, interesting discussion.

First I do have to say that looking at the poll I was really surprised at how many people voted that they do surrender based on my experiences at the table. And then I thought that after thinking about that I am on a forum of people who seem to take gambling seriously like me, I lost my surprise.

And yes, it did get off topic. What the heck is EV??? Lol
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
dudestupid
dudestupid
  • Threads: 23
February 12th, 2011 at 10:35:37 PM permalink
All the snide comments from the other players just make me feel superior, since I know how to play.
But yes, it's hard to feel too superior when you're handing over your chips.
dm
dm
  • Threads: 14
February 13th, 2011 at 8:03:16 AM permalink
I don't feel that way - I like getting half my chips back from the dealer, especially if everyone else gives up all of theirs.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 239
February 13th, 2011 at 9:11:29 AM permalink
I suspect that the average strip BJ tourist doesn't even know that there
is a SURRENDER rule in some games.

Also, it seems like most of the little placard cards don't specifically
mention Surrender. I generally have to ask.

Am I missing something
on how you know if the particular game/table offers Surrender ?
Like the castle in its corner In a medieval game; I foresee terrible trouble And I stay here just the same
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
February 13th, 2011 at 10:03:43 AM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

I suspect that the average strip BJ tourist doesn't even know that there
is a SURRENDER rule in some games.

Also, it seems like most of the little placard cards don't specifically
mention Surrender. I generally have to ask.

Am I missing something

I've rarely seen it mentioned if surrender is offered; the only time I've seen it explicitly stated is on one of those awful carny versions of blackjack that have all those "bonuses" (like the ability to surrender) BUT pay even money on blackjacks.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
StingMe
StingMe
  • Threads: 5
February 13th, 2011 at 10:18:04 AM permalink
I usually don't ask about surrender at a table until the opportunity to try it arises. In my experience, many dealers don't even know the rule. Maybe I just happen to play with more break-in dealers... Anyway, if it's available, and BS calls for it, I do it.
dudestupid
dudestupid
  • Threads: 23
February 13th, 2011 at 9:07:58 PM permalink

Am I missing something

On the $5 and $10 tables I play at, I have never seen it on a placard. You just have to ask. It's getting more and more rare.

An interesting thing I found: I would often play a $5 table at Tropicana with a continuous shuffle machine, that allowed surrender. According to the Wizard, continuous shuffle on a 6 deck game adds 0.02% to the house edge. Surrender subtracts 0.08% from the house edge.

Last year, I was there and the shuffle machine was broken. I asked to surrender, and I couldn't. The dealer said they only offered surrender tables with machines! I thought that was rather nitpicky.
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
February 14th, 2011 at 6:22:36 AM permalink

Am I missing something

I usually just try to surrender, and if they let me, I conclude, that it is offered :)
I was once playing at Caesar's for a few hours, surrendering left and right, and then the dealer changed, and when I tried to surrender once more, the new dealer told me I could not do it at this table. I thought about calling the floor person, but decided against it, because it did not seem likely she'd side with me anyway, and I did not want to get the other dealer in trouble.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"

• Jump to: