sddude24
sddude24
  • Threads: 3
June 4th, 2020 at 3:26:27 PM permalink
Hey folks
I dropped by El Cortez today. They are keeping the single deck BJ and dealing the cards face up. No more pitching and no touching the cards. What they will do is keep the deck to 2 hands and then shuffle again. Is this better or worse than the pitch game? Seats are limited to 3 players
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
June 4th, 2020 at 3:54:11 PM permalink
Quote: sddude24

Hey folks
I dropped by El Cortez today. They are keeping the single deck BJ and dealing the cards face up. No more pitching and no touching the cards. What they will do is keep the deck to 2 hands and then shuffle again. Is this better or worse than the pitch game? Seats are limited to 3 players

Are they shuffling after 2 rounds regardless of whether there is 1 player or 3? I didn't notice the single deck penetration.

So strange thing, we have been seeing pictures in the paper and on the local news of the plastic shields dividing the players and dividing the player / dealer. El Cortez is actually one of the properties they were showing those shields on the news. I saw exactly 2 tables outfitted with shields and must have been 6-8 without, just reduced to 3 chairs. I mean I think the shields are kind of dumb anyway. Air flows! it can make it up, over and past the shield. lol

One good thing about El Cortez, from my stand point was I noticed higher minimums at the BJ tables. The table I played was $15, when it normally would be $5 on a weekday. Sorry for you $5 bettors, but that is helpful to me, especially if only limited spots, which didn't really seem to be an issue.
kewlj
kewlj
June 4th, 2020 at 3:54:44 PM permalink
duplicate
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
  • Threads: 111
June 4th, 2020 at 4:53:23 PM permalink
Trying to figure out how much I need for a $15 table session in Canada.
$450 US = $600 Canadian
Plus $50 gas, tolls & parking.
Sidenote: the border is closed
sddude24
sddude24
June 4th, 2020 at 6:14:51 PM permalink
I am going to play there tomorrow. I will let you know more about the shuffle. I didn't see plexiglass on the $25 table
sddude24
sddude24
June 7th, 2020 at 5:44:59 PM permalink
FYI: When I went in Friday someone had the table reserved all night so I didn't play.
WTflush
WTflush
  • Threads: 1
June 7th, 2020 at 7:49:10 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

Trying to figure out how much I need for a $15 table session in Canada.
$450 US = $600 Canadian
Plus $50 gas, tolls & parking.
Sidenote: the border is closed

Are you in the wrong thread? What does this post have to do with OPs question?

For the OP: I'm assuming you are not counting? If you're not it doesn't make any difference whether the cards are face up, down, or sideways. If you are counting the penetration is probably terrible. Probably doesn't matter much anyway because they'll just kick you out for winning
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
June 7th, 2020 at 10:58:48 PM permalink
Does the El Cortez single deck game have the following rules: 3:2; H17; D10,11; Split once (No resplitting) ?
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
June 8th, 2020 at 9:44:26 AM permalink
I don't believe they restrict your initial splits, but it has been a while since I played there.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
June 8th, 2020 at 12:22:02 PM permalink
Is there DAS; Double after splitting?
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan
June 8th, 2020 at 12:28:14 PM permalink
Not on the low limit tables. They used to have a $25 table but I rarely played it.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
kewlj
kewlj
Thanked by
Armagedden
June 8th, 2020 at 8:42:19 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Not on the low limit tables. They used to have a $25 table but I rarely played it.

Did you rarely play it because it wasn't your regular stakes or because that particular game is a counter trap at that location? (and it most definitely is)
billryan
billryan
June 8th, 2020 at 8:53:50 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Did you rarely play it because it wasn't your regular stakes or because that particular game is a counter trap at that location? (and it most definitely is)

They'd usually only deal two rounds so too much dead time, and at the $3 table I could spread to $30 or $50 on occasion. I wasn't a skilled enough actor to spread more than that.
kewlj
kewlj
June 9th, 2020 at 1:21:00 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

They'd usually only deal two rounds so too much dead time, and at the $3 table I could spread to $30 or $50 on occasion. I wasn't a skilled enough actor to spread more than that.

I don't play single deck at that establishment. Since they only have single and double deck, I guess that pretty much tells what I do play. lol.

I am not doubting you but shuffle after 2 rounds doesn't sound right, since usually there are only 1 or 2 players at the table. Do they use a cut card on single deck?
billryan
billryan
June 9th, 2020 at 1:45:04 PM permalink

I don't play single deck at that establishment. Since they only have single and double deck, I guess that pretty much tells what I do play. lol.

I am not doubting you but shuffle after 2 rounds doesn't sound right, since usually there are only 1 or 2 players at the table. Do they use a cut card on single deck?

Two rounds with more than one player. I don't remember ever playing solo.
racquet
racquet
  • Threads: 50
June 9th, 2020 at 2:46:29 PM permalink
My recollection is that at that location single deck was a specific number of rounds, whereas 2-deck was a cut card, a very slight amount more than 52 cards before the card came out, and then maybe a few more to complete the round in progress. Two players, single deck might have gone three rounds. Not sure. I think I saw that at a full table it might have been just one round. Never sat down at a six-handed single deck game.

At a two-deck game, there was a notch in the discard tray. After a shuffle, the double deck was put in the tray, the cut card was slid in using the notch, the game progressed, pitch, face up.

That was in September of 2019. Haven't been back since. And my memory sucks if in fact I don't remember correctly.
sddude24
sddude24
June 17th, 2020 at 9:25:49 PM permalink
I did ultimately play the new "face up" at the EC ($25 table). Even though it was only me and the dealer they do indeed now shuffle after 2 hands
MJGolf
MJGolf
  • Threads: 8
July 3rd, 2020 at 6:32:48 AM permalink

KJ, last time there it was Round of 6 for single deck. Never had less than 2 rounds no matter how many played. ASM. The real counter trap is the double deck. But this was right before shutdown after Covid in March. Heading there this weekend to see what changed and see if it's only 2 rounds no matter what like posters say. But the limits are so low on the single and there are so many newbies that play there, I wouldn't waste my time unless you want to hit and run while you are making your normal rounds.
MJGolf
MJGolf
July 5th, 2020 at 2:43:14 PM permalink
Well it's like above posters said. They have plexiglass shields on SOME not ALL tables. Single deck is two rounds no matter how many players are playing. Drives dealers nuts, also. I mean it's not that fun to play two rounds when you are the only one at the table. But you can play more hands to increase penetration 'per se'. Just not really worth it.

Double deck is notch cut and as people know, there is a lot of "review' by pit crew on variations of bet size.
kewlj
kewlj
July 5th, 2020 at 2:53:04 PM permalink
Quote: MJGolf

Well it's like above posters said. They have plexiglass shields on SOME not ALL tables. Single deck is two rounds no matter how many players are playing. Drives dealers nuts, also. I mean it's not that fun to play two rounds when you are the only one at the table. But you can play more hands to increase penetration 'per se'. Just not really worth it.

Double deck is notch cut and as people know, there is a lot of "review' by pit crew on variations of bet size.

You mean like dealer calling checks play at $25 for a red chip player? lol.

Do you know a red chipper spreading $5-$25 draws more heat than a green chipper spreading about the same. lol.

I was at EC today for about 4 minutes to play off some free play. They had plexiglass or plastic installed between the video poker machines. First place I have seen doing that. Most just shutdown every other machine (or remove the chair).

The D asked for a room key or ID when entering today, along with the wrist temp check. First time they have asked for an id. El Cortez doesn't even do a temperature check. The temp check is for show anyway.
MJGolf
MJGolf
July 5th, 2020 at 3:06:24 PM permalink

You mean like dealer calling checks play at $25 for a red chip player? lol.

Do you know a red chipper spreading $5-$25 draws more heat than a green chipper spreading about the same. lol.

I was at EC today for about 4 minutes to play off some free play. They had plexiglass or plastic installed between the video poker machines. First place I have seen doing that. Most just shutdown every other machine (or remove the chair).

ROFL; right on KJ. It's hilarious. The first time I had $80 on a bet (3 green 1 red on top) and the dealer called out checks play. I told him he was wrong; that I didn't have $100 out; that he miscounted my green. The next time at a different table they called it out on two green chips. I asked him how could that be "checks play"; he said their rules were any bet over $50 was to be announced as "checks play"..........LOL

Can you say, "sweaty"? I know you can, said Mr. Rogers.
kewlj
kewlj
July 5th, 2020 at 3:14:41 PM permalink
Quote: MJGolf

he said their rules were any bet over $50 was to be announced as "checks play"..........LOL

I am not kidding, I have seen them call checks play on $25 bets at the $5 table, but it has to be a player that started out betting $5 and spread to $25. If a player starts out betting like $15 and ups to $25 they don't call checks play.

Now if you are betting green at a $5 or $10 table,, they usually call at the traditional $100. But if your staring bet is not $25, but say $50 or $75, you can usually bet well above $100 with no checks play call.

EC is definitely a "funny" place. And what draws heat and attention differs greatly depending on who is in the pit. :/
  • Jump to: