smurgerburger
smurgerburger
  • Threads: 3
July 28th, 2019 at 6:33:09 PM permalink
Sorry for my lack of googling skill, but is there a calculator or a list out there that lets you determine the exact edge on your coin-in (pushes being beneficial for example).

Last I checked the WoO calculator was missing some options.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
July 28th, 2019 at 8:50:43 PM permalink
Are you saying... if you put in $150,000 in action, and you're down $2,000, what's the exact house edge on that $150,000 coin in?

-2000/150000 = -.01333...
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
smurgerburger
smurgerburger
July 28th, 2019 at 9:07:46 PM permalink
No I'm wondering for a given set of rules what is the -EV. Some of the possible rules don't seem to be in the WoO BJ calculator.

I shouldn't have mentioned pushes because I suppose they're already factored into any BJ edge calculator.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
July 31st, 2019 at 12:26:39 AM permalink
Quote: smurgerburger

No I'm wondering for a given set of rules what is the -EV. Some of the possible rules don't seem to be in the WoO BJ calculator.

I shouldn't have mentioned pushes because I suppose they're already factored into any BJ edge calculator.

The wiz has a couple extended rules / rules variation pages which take more rare rules and give you the +/- house edge value. So you can use the calculator for what you can, then add these other ones to the total.

https://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/rule-variations/
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
smurgerburger
smurgerburger
July 31st, 2019 at 2:14:41 AM permalink
Quote: Romes

The wiz has a couple extended rules / rules variation pages which take more rare rules and give you the +/- house edge value. So you can use the calculator for what you can, then add these other ones to the total.

https://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/rule-variations/

Thanks I'll take a look at it.

ETA- I'm adding up the numbers at a glance but it looks like the edge for the game I have in mind is ~4% rather than the 5% I've seen cited.
DogHand
DogHand
  • Threads: 2
July 31st, 2019 at 5:10:57 AM permalink

Thanks I'll take a look at it.

ETA- I'm adding up the numbers at a glance but it looks like the edge for the game I have in mind is ~4% rather than the 5% I've seen cited.

smurgerburger,

A word of warning: many new Video BJ players think they've found a gold mine after seeing "Blackjack pays 2 for 1" on the machine's rules page. Note that "2 FOR 1" is the same as "1 TO 1" : in other words, BJ's pay even money.

I don't know if this warning applies to you, so if you've actually found a VBJ game with a 4% edge, congratulations! Hit it hard and fast, because it cannot last long.

Hope this helps!

Dog Hand
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 240
July 31st, 2019 at 10:28:29 AM permalink
Quote: DogHand

smurgerburger,

A word of warning: many new Video BJ players think they've found a gold mine after seeing "Blackjack pays 2 for 1" on the machine's rules page. Note that "2 FOR 1" is the same as "1 TO 1" : in other words, BJ's pay even money.

I don't know if this warning applies to you, so if you've actually found a VBJ game with a 4% edge, congratulations! Hit it hard and fast, because it cannot last long.

Hope this helps!

Dog Hand

I'm guilty of that. Thought I'd found a virtual gold mine. Took me about a half dozen BJs to question where the extra money was before I realized it wasn't.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
smurgerburger
smurgerburger
July 31st, 2019 at 10:38:10 AM permalink
I meant -4%. Not looking for an advantage on this just trying to figure out the exact house edge.

But yeah the "2 for 1" language is easy to misunderstand.
DogHand
DogHand
  • Threads: 2
July 31st, 2019 at 1:48:36 PM permalink

I meant -4%. Not looking for an advantage on this just trying to figure out the exact house edge.

But yeah the "2 for 1" language is easy to misunderstand.

smurgerburger,

Oh, in that case post the rules and I or someone else here will find the house edge.

Dog Hand
smurgerburger
smurgerburger
August 3rd, 2019 at 8:20:17 PM permalink
Quote: DogHand

smurgerburger,

Oh, in that case post the rules and I or someone else here will find the house edge.

Dog Hand

As I recall the exact rules are:

1:1 BJ
no doubles or splits
dealer stands on 6 cards
player wins on 6 card (6 card Charlie)
s17
single deck

Using the figures at https://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/rule-variations/ It looks like the HE is -3.54% - the house edge of the wizards DD base game. So around -4%.
  • Jump to: