railer
railer
  • Threads: 11
January 29th, 2019 at 5:38:57 PM permalink
So, I'm writing a program to sim "perfect" blackjack, and my question is what good is a true count?

I have all the EORs (effects of removal) for each denomination, and it would seem that my program simply has to keep a running tally of the cumulative EORs played. Once (TOTAL EORs + house advantage) is greater than 0, I have an advantage (so bet big). No True Count Needed, right?

In other words, if I'm playing a 6 deck game and know all the EORs, after hand #1 do I need to divide the cumulative EORs by 6 (because there's roughly 6 decks left), or can I just keep a running total?

Thanks,

-railer
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
January 29th, 2019 at 11:54:24 PM permalink
If you're doing it on a per card basis with EOR's, the true count won't be more efficient (though if you're programming it perfectly it should be exact).

The true count during counting takes other estimations in to account, such as deck estimation to estimate how many cards are remaining to be dealt. Thus, the true count (for live counters) is rarely exact and any good counter not only has great estimation skills but also rounds their true counts down for safety. So if you're doing things exactly, yes, you don't need to worry about the true count (again though if you're keeping exact track of cards and remaining cards you could still use that true count, rounded down to the nearest integer, for betting purposes if you're going to play with a spread).
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
  • Jump to: