unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
October 10th, 2018 at 4:07:03 AM permalink
Quote: tomchina123

HI, gordonm888&SALLY,

i have a question, check this linK:

https://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/appendix/1/

if you have a hand of score 6, dealer is 8. the ev of standing and hit once should be the rougly the same, right? but why is the EV data in this link so different?
if not hitting once, then how many times to hit to finish all the logic? why is the decision of every point not independent?

to go further, the score 6 includes 33 or A5 or not?

the 1st question is the more important.

The hit table isnt for hit once, its for hitting and then based on the result of the first hit, following optimal play for an infinite deck, which might include further hitting.

6 does include 33 but not A5. A5 is under the soft 16 of that table.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
tomchina123
tomchina123
  • Threads: 39
October 10th, 2018 at 9:19:21 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

The hit table isnt for hit once, its for hitting and then based on the result of the first hit, following optimal play for an infinite deck, which might include further hitting.

6 does include 33 but not A5. A5 is under the soft 16 of that table.

thanks for your answer, unjon, here is my further doubts:

if firtist hit+optimal play,
1) what is optimal play?
2) if not hit once, is it fair to standing and doubing and splitting? because to compare, we need to have the same standardard? to say it another way, if there is a strategy after hit, how to compre this strategy?
3) for score of 12-20 of player, my result of hitting is almost the same as that link, only 0.2% difference, it is to hit once ( the small difference can be the big number prolem of excel. or the unfinished softs or pairs)., but score of 4-11, 95% are totally different.

for another answer, there is alsotable of pairs.

anyway, thanks for your answer.

after writing this, maybe this optimal play means the EV can be better or the same after hitting, because we can have another chance to stand or to hit after hitting. i will try to figure it out how to calculate them.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
October 11th, 2018 at 5:54:58 AM permalink
Your last two sentences are correct.

You might enjoy tinkering with this link as well:

https://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/hand-calculator/
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 44
October 11th, 2018 at 10:08:16 AM permalink
Quote: tomchina123

HI, gordonm888&SALLY,

i have a question, check this linK:

https://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/appendix/1/

if you have a hand of score 6, dealer is 8. the ev of standing and hit once should be the rougly the same, right? but why is the EV data in this link so different?
if not hitting once, then how many times to hit to finish all the logic? why is the decision of every point not independent?

to go further, the score 6 includes 33 or A5 or not?

the 1st question is the more important.

On the WOO blackjack appendix you refer to, the term "hit" means that you hit the indicated hand and then make subsequent decisions according to basic strategy. For the case of 2,4(or 6) vs 8, for example, when the next card is a 3 that gives the player a 9 vs 8 and it is understood that he will hit again until hard 17 or higher is reached.

Also, by convention, the player hand 6 refers only to an unpaired hard 6. Thus, a 3-3 or A-5 are not meant to be included. Similarly, when people talk about what to with 16 vs 10, they are referring to 8-8 vs 10.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
tomchina123
tomchina123
October 11th, 2018 at 11:02:35 PM permalink
thanks. but if it is to make basic strategy, why is there a basic strategy?
i tried many time, but the result is still not close. thoug the standing data is the same.
we set an example.
player dealer
5 6
if we hit, it can be:
player dealer
soft 16 6
then no matter optimal or basic, we need to hit again, because the first hit gives the result the same as standing.
we hit once, then it can be:
player dealer
soft 17 6
we need to hit once more:
soft 17 6

wow, again, after writing this, i find my mistake, the 2nd hit needs to add 1-10 for every score.i will keep moving with it.
tomchina123
tomchina123
October 15th, 2018 at 11:24:16 AM permalink
the updates: by doing this, it is another time to do brutal filling of excel lines. it needs to go to stand on 12,13...hard 17, soft from 18 to 19th, nothing creative and smart.

and i finish most of it now, the result is going right with above talked links of Wizard, only some decimals difference. i will check how it can perform for online games.

though it is not no new findings here, but i am happy with what i can do now.

thanks, gordonm888, Sally and unJon.

thank Eliot for his shared excel doc of baccarat.

• Jump to: