Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
April 16th, 2015 at 10:03:37 PM permalink
Quote: Actuarial

Mathematically it seems like this would never be a good idea. If you can't take another card after your first hit, you need to calculate your expected value prior to taking the first hit. If the marginal expectation is positive, then hit, otherwise don't.

Here's an example. Suppose the dealer has a 10 up. You have a $100 bet and table minimum is $5. You split your aces and on the first one you get another ace. You cannot re-split not hit BUT you can double and for as little as table minimum. Would you rather stand on 12 or toss out $5 in the hopes to improve?

Again, the complete strategy for this is in appendix 20.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
April 17th, 2015 at 3:09:26 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

Quote: beachbumbabs

Quote: bigfoot66

Quote: WilfordBrimley

My Name is Wilford Brimley and as you know, I have daibeeetus

bigfoot,

I get that this is a joke (and fictitious quote), but several people have recently been suspended or warned for misquoting other members (of which WB is now one), so don't format a joke like this again, please. Thanks!

Mine was Obiously a joke with the word edit, and not two, but 3THREE smiley faces. Hopefully ill get a future credit for my suspension. Obviously you favor Bigfoot more than others J/K. I know you weren't the one who made that trigger happy ban, however it makes me understand 1BB and his plight slightly better.

Tough crowd huh, Axel? What's the official definition of misquote? Is it one of those "know it when you see it" things? Does it include punctuation? If you leave out a comma have you committed the dastardly deed?

Is anyone familiar with the acronym POS? No, not that one. I'm referring to the one the kids use. Parent over shoulder. The thing is, per forum rules, there aren't supposed to be any kids on this site. No one posting here in good faith should feel like someone is looking over their shoulder.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 134
April 17th, 2015 at 6:40:58 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

Quote: AxelWolf

Quote: beachbumbabs

Quote: bigfoot66

Quote: WilfordBrimley

My Name is Wilford Brimley and as you know, I have daibeeetus

bigfoot,

I get that this is a joke (and fictitious quote), but several people have recently been suspended or warned for misquoting other members (of which WB is now one), so don't format a joke like this again, please. Thanks!

Mine was Obiously a joke with the word edit, and not two, but 3THREE smiley faces. Hopefully ill get a future credit for my suspension. Obviously you favor Bigfoot more than others J/K. I know you weren't the one who made that trigger happy ban, however it makes me understand 1BB and his plight slightly better.

Tough crowd huh, Axel? What's the official definition of misquote? Is it one of those "know it when you see it" things? Does it include punctuation? If you leave out a comma have you committed the dastardly deed?

Is anyone familiar with the acronym POS? No, not that one. I'm referring to the one the kids use. Parent over shoulder. The thing is, per forum rules, there aren't supposed to be any kids on this site. No one posting here in good faith should feel like someone is looking over their shoulder.

Why isn't there more understanding out there on this issue? The issue is important and shouldn't be trifled with. If someone has a casual post wherein they mention that their wife loves Hawaii but they don't, nobody is going to care if someone just quotes that one sentence, ellipsis or not, to comment on. But in serious quotes, taking something out of context, adding to or omitting vital context, etc., is wrong.

The mods are trying to do a good and fair job without having to write four pages of specific rules on the situation. Could we please just exercise some common sense on this issue? Let's respect the mods' valuable time in not creating problems.

Don't make up quotes, doctor quotes, partially quote people leaving out crucial content or context, and there won't be any issues.

Don't make up quotes even in jest because it flouts the rules.

I'm confident that the mods try to be fair and impartial when they have to make decisions regarding misquoting. Could we all try to not make extra work for them, please?
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
April 29th, 2015 at 11:34:16 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

I was hacked by a former friend so unfortunately I can't. I just was able to get back online today. That's all I'm going to say about it, period.

It's those darn TIMSPEED hackers again! ;)
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
April 29th, 2015 at 11:40:58 AM permalink
Quote: teddys

It's those darn TIMSPEED hackers again! ;)

Haha no. Why aren't you in Toledo playing the $1, 99.92% DW??
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!

• Jump to: