winmonkeyspit3
winmonkeyspit3
  • Threads: 26
July 16th, 2012 at 4:59:53 PM permalink
My last 3 gambling sessions I got destroyed, considering taking a break for a few months. Down $1300 over that period. Decided to go to Rockingham Park in New Hampshire, a card room that offers mostly sit-n-go poker tournaments along with some cash games, 6 blackjack tables, one let it ride table, 2 roulette tables, and last but not least, one Boston 5 table.

Sat down at the table with a modest $40 buy-in. I played Boston 5 because it was a Saturday night and all of the blackjack tables were full. Not many people know how to play Boston 5, so I played with two other men, sitting between them. At Rockingham the Max Bet on any single bet is $4. People get around this in roulette by betting splits and "caging in" numbers. On blackjack and Boston 5 this cannot be done because there are so few bets available. I played my first 6 hands, betting $4 on the ante, $4 on the play, $2 on the 5 card bonus($2 is the max on this bet because a royal pays 1000x), and $4 on the 3 card bonus, for a total of $14 of action per hand. I started off with a 3 card flush, for a nice $24 pay day(Yes, Rockingham uses the liberal 40x 30x 6x 4x 1x pay schedule for the 3 card bonus). Over the course of those 6 hands I had a net win on every single one, often by getting a high card that beat the dealer.

The 7th hand was where I got "lucky"(though I hate the term lucky). I flipped over my hand to see three 5's, for a nice $120 pay day. I tipped the dealer a $4 chip. My buddy who only wanted to play blackjack was standing behind me and said, "Well it looks like you will win on the back too." After collecting my winnings, I was given my 4th and 5th card. The first card I saw was a 2, which was dissapointing, though I figured another 2 would pay me $50. I paused for a second before revealing my 5th card, and the other two guys at the table both said instantaneously, "I don't have it". I reveiled my 5th card and it was the 5 of hearts for a four of a kind. This paid 100x my 2 dollar 5 card bonus bet, for a payday of another $200. I was shocked, never before had I seen 4 of a kind at a let it ride or Boston 5 table. In total I won $328 on the hand. After another toke I left the table and played $2 blackjack with my buddy for an hour. Left the card room up $358, this after buying a round of beers for the two guys who were at my table, my buddy and myself.

Though not necessarily a big win for someone who plays green blackjack, I was really happy about this experience and impressed by how I made so much off of a $40 buy-in. The dealer said that this was the biggest win he had seen in 7 months dealing (granted the max bet on the let it ride and boston 5 table is 4 dollars). He said he had seen plenty of 3 of a kinds and 3 card straight flushes, as well as a few 4 of a kinds, but had never seen a 3 of a kind turn into a 4 of a kind for the double dipping. I suppose this hit is equivalent to being dealt a natural 4 of a kind on video poker, which is quite rare, though I would argue this win is even sweeter because of the additional 3 card bonus hit. Cheers!
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
July 16th, 2012 at 6:12:33 PM permalink
Congratulations on the quad! $14 action on a $40 buy-in would not go very far if things did not take off right away. How far would you have gone if you had lost the initial 2 bets, and couldn't make a third?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
July 17th, 2012 at 7:33:12 AM permalink
Excellent, congratulations!

In my estimation, with games such as that, it's not just about the size of the win, but also the unliklihood.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
  • Threads: 32
July 17th, 2012 at 10:45:35 AM permalink
Congrats on the win!

I miss Boston 5. It was a money drainer, no doubt, but kind of a strange change of pace from other poker derivatives.
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park
winmonkeyspit3
winmonkeyspit3
  • Threads: 26
July 18th, 2012 at 4:16:29 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Congratulations on the quad! $14 action on a $40 buy-in would not go very far if things did not take off right away. How far would you have gone if you had lost the initial 2 bets, and couldn't make a third?

I came with $100 and I really just sat down at Boston 5 until my friend could find a spot for both of us on the blackjack tables. $2 blackjack has a wide appeal.
  • Jump to: