Clydemcglyde
Clydemcglyde
  • Threads: 1
November 8th, 2022 at 7:46:08 PM permalink
Any Mississippi Stud (Progressive?) betting systems out there? Don’t think the game lends itself to one, but just don’t know. TIA.
AitchTheLetter
AitchTheLetter
  • Threads: 2
November 9th, 2022 at 3:56:47 AM permalink
Do you mean basic strategy or some sort of "Magic Bullet" betting system to beat the game?
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Clydemcglyde
Clydemcglyde
  • Threads: 1
November 9th, 2022 at 4:02:55 AM permalink
Betting system -not strategy . I like to do a progressive type of betting with blackjack, but it seems like this game doesn’t lend itself to that
AitchTheLetter
AitchTheLetter
  • Threads: 2
Thanked by
Clydemcglyde
November 9th, 2022 at 9:37:16 AM permalink
Quote: Clydemcglyde

Betting system -not strategy . I like to do a progressive type of betting with blackjack, but it seems like this game doesn’t lend itself to that
link to original post

Short answer, no.

Long answer, there is no betting system that will give you an edge in ANY game by itself. The reason for varying your wagers in Blackjack, is because each hand is a dependent trials and you can gain an edge based on the remaining cards in the shoe. This will not work in Mississippi stud since it uses a single deck and the decks used are shuffled between hands.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
November 9th, 2022 at 11:42:59 AM permalink
Playing for consecutive winning hands and pressing into that doesn't work in this game. I'd buy-in for the jackpot of 4 of a kind. $10 table, $100 total bet, pays $4,000 for a buy-in. Then I raise my ante bet from $10 to $20 when I'm a Full House jackpot ahead, or when I get to $5,000. If I win to $7,000 I'll raise my ante to $30. If I get to $10K I'll raise to $40 ante. If I get to $14K I'll raise to $60 ante. Because of table max payouts, I don't expect I'll be playing much above $60 so I'll consider it a winning session if I get to $20K. A quads pays $24K and a straight flush pays $48K at the $60 level. A Royal Flush could pay $240K, but table limits of $25K, $50K, or $75K could limit the payout on a win. You'll have to ask what the maximum payout is at a particular table if it's not printed. There's aggregate maximum payout which will further limit payouts and that gets very confusing. You'll only get tax forms on a Royal, but if that Royal pays less than 300:1 because of maximum payouts, I'm not sure you would get a tax form. If Royals only come around once every two blue moons, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If I reach my $20K goal, I'll divide it into $4K buy-ins for future sessions. This strategy is for a $50K max payout table. I know Las Vegas tables may have maximum ante bets of way over $100, on up to $2,000 or more. I don't get the point if the table max payout won't be in the 7 figures.
Last edited by: ChumpChange on Nov 9, 2022
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
November 9th, 2022 at 2:24:44 PM permalink
Quote: Clydemcglyde

link to original post

What you're seeing is volatility, aka variance, aka the square of the standard deviation (SD = Sqrt(Var)). Blackjack is a known low variance game with a ~1.15, where as even video poker like Jacks or Better is still ~19... a game like MSS is ~104 variance. I hope you can see the massive difference here. This is why you can play MSS and lose slowly for 5 hours, then hit for $5k and be up.

Progressive strategies 100% do not work, in any game with a built in house edge. At the end of the day, if you're playing a negative expectation game, then all you're doing is losing more in the long run. Sure you can "break even" more on a day to day basis, but this does NOT change the expected value, and when you have one of those days where you just lose all of your progressions, say goodbye to your bankroll.

Blackjack Example:

1) Bet $10 on a standard .5% house edge game. ASSUMING you're playing perfect basic strategy (I've yet to meet more than 1 or 2 recreational players in my life that have basic strategy down 100%)... the expected value of your hand is: EV = (AvgBet*NumHands)*HouseEdge

Since this is just 1 hand we plug and chug: EV = (10*1)*(-.005) = -.05, so in the long run you'll lose a nickel every time you play a $10 hand of blackjack at this game with the above assumptions.

2) Next hand you bet $20, everything else is the same. What's the EV of JUST this hand?
EV = (20*1)*(-.005) = -.10 ...so by betting double, you lose double in expected value in the long run.

So I hope it's pretty obvious that by betting more, you'll eventually lose more. This is why progressive betting systems DO NOT BEAT THE GAME. If you're doing it to have fun, then hey, have a blast with it... but you're much better off trying to learn basic strategy for MSS rather than a progressive betting system.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
BigBluMiku
BigBluMiku
  • Threads: 3
December 6th, 2022 at 10:13:36 AM permalink
I would agree, the game does not lend itself to any betting systems. A betting system is used when the house edge is very small and the odds of winning are a little less than 50%, and youre hoping to catch some good variance. Mississippi Stud is a game where you usually flat bet every round hoping for a lucky deal to win huge on the payouts
  • Jump to: