Thread Rating:

MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
September 15th, 2021 at 5:24:02 PM permalink
How do you KNOW his was a "garbage opinion?"

Dog breeders breed dogs for certain attributes and qualities; slave owners also did the same thing, seeking stronger more durable slaves.

They had about 300 years to experiment; they considered slaves no different than livestock and applied animal husbandry principles.

Kind of scary and very politically incorrect to think about it but it is worth thinking about with an open mind.
"What, me worry?"
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
September 15th, 2021 at 5:28:17 PM permalink
You are certainly in the right thread.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
MrV
MrV
September 15th, 2021 at 5:34:44 PM permalink
OK, please explain how slave owners engaging in selective breeding for several centuries would not have achieved some level of change.

I'll wait ...

*crickets*
"What, me worry?"
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
September 15th, 2021 at 5:56:20 PM permalink
Are you really asking why eugenics doesn't work?

The simplest explanation of why people can breed something in a dog but not in a human is time.

A generation of dogs or horses is about three years or less. If you want to breed the best parts of a Wolfhound and a Poodle, you have a litter in four months and males ready to breed within a year. you select the puppies that have the best quality's and neuter the rest. Within twenty years, you can have a whole new breed. The textbook case is the Irish Wolfhound. The last real Wolfhound was killed in the 1850s, but selective breeding of four different breeds brought back the breed forty years later.
The goldendoodle took about twenty years and eight generations to come into its own.
If you take ten of the biggest studs on the planet and breed them with whatever your ideal women are, its going to be twenty years or so before you can pick which of the offspring inherited the right genes., and then another twenty years to see how those work out.
The other reason why it won't work should be obvious.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
MrV
MrV
September 15th, 2021 at 6:12:11 PM permalink
I'm no expert, obviously, but given three hundred years (about 15 generations) some change may have happened.

But I'm not saying Snyder was in fact correct; rather I am saying that his comments should not be consigned to the dung pile simply because they didn't comport with then-existing (or current) notions of political correctness.
"What, me worry?"
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
Thanked by
Dieter
September 15th, 2021 at 7:11:56 PM permalink
Thread is closed. Participants are violating rule #19.

Rule 19: Controversial Speech: In an effort to keep the focus of the forum on gambling, Vegas, and math, comments of a political, racial, religious, sexual, or otherwise controversial nature are not allowed. We recommend taking such discussion elsewhere (Added 8/13/19).

If this conversation is continued on another thread I intend that it will result in a disciplinary suspension.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
  • Jump to: