Thread Rating:

TigerWu
TigerWu 
  • Threads: 16
May 7th, 2018 at 8:03:56 AM permalink
Quote: Nathan

At least the $20 resort fee that includes WIFI is better than the fees my sister paid on a four day cruise. She had to pay a resort fee AND a $40 WIFI fee. Garbage!

Why would you need WIFI on a cruise?
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 259
May 7th, 2018 at 9:30:44 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Addiction, safety line, hot tip on a horse, peace of mind whatever.

ALL hotels are charging resort fees so as to advertise low rates and evade local occupancy tax levies.

Sometimes its a real rip off sometimes its merely a nuisance but its here to stay.

I don't go to a gym and don't swim very often so why would I want to pay a resort fee but if its included in the price I just may take the time to use it. Once I had Steam room, dry sauna, mini pool with bubbles and showers with three types of goop. I used up enough of each type of goop to get my money's worth on the resort fee. I think I spent about four hours in that spa just to get my moneys worth.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 31
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabs
May 7th, 2018 at 10:47:08 AM permalink
Not to make this a rant about Resort Fees, but I wonder why state/local legislators don't outlaw mandatory hotel fees. Annoying the consumer aside, it seems that states/municipalities are losing boatloads of revenue because of resort fees. Resort fees only incur sales tax, while the room rate is subject to both occupancy and sales taxes. In theory, hoteliers can charge $1 for the room and a $200 resort fee and pay no occupancy tax.

Why do local governments stand for this?
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 93
May 7th, 2018 at 11:42:22 AM permalink
It's been 10 years since I was in AC, but at that time, my CET rooms and resort fees were comped, except for a mandatory $6 NJ occupancy fee per night. Harrahs claimed they were not allowed to comp it or pay it for me. AC Hilton the same.

So perhaps at least some jurisdictions have something in place to not lose that revenue stream.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 65
May 18th, 2018 at 2:38:30 PM permalink

She has her own business and I guess she wanted to still be able to be able to do some work even while on business. In general, people use it because they still want to be able to surf the net even in the middle of the ocean. ;)
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
Venthus
Venthus
  • Threads: 23
May 18th, 2018 at 9:13:25 PM permalink
One cruise I was on, the daughter signed up for a pay-per-minute plan so she could post photos and whatnot.

She evidently didn't realize that getting notifications on her phone means an active data connection, so six days later, they were treated to something like a 4000$ internet bill.
Nathan
Nathan
May 19th, 2018 at 5:57:48 AM permalink
Quote: Venthus

One cruise I was on, the daughter signed up for a pay-per-minute plan so she could post photos and whatnot.

She evidently didn't realize that getting notifications on her phone means an active data connection, so six days later, they were treated to something like a 4000$ internet bill.

Oh crap! $4,000 internet bill! O.O That's why you make sure you know exactly what you're getting into! I'd rather just pay the $40 WIFI bill!
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 99
May 19th, 2018 at 6:03:11 AM permalink

The word 'need' is tough to define. But my Fiancee wanted to talk to her daughters on our Greek Cruise last summer, so we bought I think 100 minutes for like $60 so she could face time them. I liked taking a few minutes a day to look at my emails. When we were on shore most restaurants/coffee shops had free WiFi so I did important things like read the continuous freaking out by our members that Trump is actually President....
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 99
May 19th, 2018 at 6:06:00 AM permalink
Quote: Venthus

I am aware of these occurrences so my Fiancee and I always put our phone to airplane mode as soon as we leave the US. For this recent trip to the DR the couple we were with wanted continuous access, so they were able to buy some sort of unlimited plan from AT and T for $10 a day. The hotel had WiFi all over, even at the beach, so it was wasted money.
Nathan
Nathan
May 19th, 2018 at 6:12:16 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I am aware of these occurrences so my Fiancee and I always put our phone to airplane mode as soon as we leave the US. For this recent trip to the DR the couple we were with wanted continuous access, so they were able to buy some sort of unlimited plan from AT and T for $10 a day. The hotel had WiFi all over, even at the beach, so it was wasted money.

I'd ask for a charge back if I bought a unlimited data plan only to learn that the hotel gave free WIFI.

• Jump to: